Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

81BDOXww0EL.jpg

One of my favorite issues.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm looking forward to seeing how they interact as a couple in X-Men.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlacidMule View Post
    One of my favorite issues.
    Yes! Yes! Yes! The best issue ever! :)

Thanks for sharing those pictures. Those two melt my heart... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing how they interact as a couple in X-Men.
    Me too. After almost 20 years, they'll finally be full-time in the same book. Though I'm not holding my breath we'll get many relevant interactions, to tell you the truth. Fingers crossed I'm wrong though.

--
    Lucas 35, thanks for sharing too. That scene is beautiful (and sad). But wow... those kisses... *sigh* I wonder if you can fit an atom between them! :D

Something cute I re-read recently:

Scott (about the rapport with Jean): "It's not an intrusion. Not even close. More like a presence. Powerfully familiar, reassuringly comfortable. And she's always in my thoughts anyway, tell you the truth".

Awwwwwnnnn! How can she not love him? :)

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I wonder where the rapport is currently? I don't think it has been referenced as of yet. At least, that I know of. It would be nice to see it referenced since it usually reflects the health of their relationship.

My fingers are crossed as well for a well written Jott in X-Men.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 05-28-2021 at 04:13 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Something cute I re-read recently:

Scott (about the rapport with Jean): "It's not an intrusion. Not even close. More like a presence. Powerfully familiar, reassuringly comfortable. And she's always in my thoughts anyway, tell you the truth".

Awwwwwnnnn! How can she not love him?
    I know right. Thanks for sharing this it shows so much about what I like about them.

Contrary to vocal belief...that little scene shows that Scott can be mentally and emotionally dependent...in a good way...on Jean. It's nice when couples are dependent on each other for support and strength and comfort of presence.

As for the psychic rapport between them...I thought it was disconnected with their deaths and Jean just hasn't reconnected it. Which would make sense if she's having relations with Wolverine as well at this time. It was nice and romantic at the time but I can live without it.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-28-2021 at 04:25 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I wonder where the rapport is currently? I don't think it has been referenced as of yet. At least, that I know of. It would be nice to see it referenced since it usually reflects the health of their relationship.

My fingers are crossed as well for a well written Jott in X-Men.
    We'll join our crossed fingers, then. When they're written well, they're absolutely the best, most inspiring and most iconic couple ever. And I really mean it. I love both characters so very much... I really want them to be with the best person they can be so they can be the best persons they are. :)

I do so wonder about their rapport too! I'll talk about it in the next post.

Quote Originally Posted by PlacidMule View Post
    I know right. Thanks for sharing this it shows so much about what I like about them.
    There are so many of those cute little things that means a lot... We should try to find them. I'll keep an eye as I go through some old comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Contrary to vocal belief...that little scene shows that Scott can be mentally and emotionally dependent...in a good way...on Jean. It's nice when couples are dependent on each other for support and strength and comfort of presence.

As for the psychic rapport between them...I thought it was disconnected with their deaths and Jean just hasn't reconnected it. Which would make sense if she's having relations with Wolverine as well at this time. It was nice and romantic at the time but I can live without it.
    Agreed.:)

I often quote Eric Fromm: "Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature love says 'I need you because I love you."

I think both Jean and Scott need each other, because they have a deep, mature love for each other. Not a co-dependant one. They have both been very supportive of each other. :)

Default About the rapport

Unfortunately different writers have approached their psychic rapport in different ways... So it's inconsistent to say the least.

This is the best way I can try to make the paradoxical portrayal work. But it’s *not* canon.

In the story of that panel I posted last (X-Man #53 and +54), Scott says that they have the rapport regardless of her telepathy. And indeed it is there when they don't have access to their powers later. That is also reflected in the The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix, because they keep the rapport even when their minds arrive to bodies that aren’t mutants yet (Rachel fixes that later).

And if you look at how Jean first describes what the rapport is, it makes sense:

“I'd like to establish a permanent rapport -- a psychic bond -- between us. Part of me in your head, part of you in mine. I know I'm asking a lot -- total sharing, total intimacy, total... trust"

So… it’s not like it’s a bridge that can be broken. It’s more like their minds are really partially fused together.

But then, how can we explain the fact that sometimes the rapport isn’t there?

I think they just don’t fully understand how it works. I think they sometimes subconsciously block it just because they think they rapport couldn’t have survived.

But let me say it again: it's *not* canon.

I think current writers ignore it (if it still exists) or have completely written it out simply because it's no longer as important or relevant to these two characters today, as it was back in the 80's.

But I could be wrong...Duggan could surprise us with a PR moment now that they're actively working on the same team, in the same book. Either way...I'm good.

X-Men 92 #5
    Thanks, I'll add it to the list.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Unfortunately different writers have approached their psychic rapport in different ways... So it's inconsistent to say the least.

This is the best way I can try to make the paradoxical portrayal work. But it’s *not* canon.

In the story of that panel I posted last (X-Man #53 and +54), Scott says that they have the rapport regardless of her telepathy. And indeed it is there when they don't have access to their powers later. That is also reflected in the The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix, because they keep the rapport even when their minds arrive to bodies that aren’t mutants yet (Rachel fixes that later).

And if you look at how Jean first describes what the rapport is, it makes sense:

“I'd like to establish a permanent rapport -- a psychic bond -- between us. Part of me in your head, part of you in mine. I know I'm asking a lot -- total sharing, total intimacy, total... trust"

So… it’s not like it’s a bridge that can be broken. It’s more like their minds are really partially fused together.

But then, how can we explain the fact that sometimes the rapport isn’t there?

I think they just don’t fully understand how it works. I think they sometimes subconsciously block it just because they think they rapport couldn’t have survived.

But let me say it again: it's *not* canon.
    I have personal issues with how relaxed Marvel is with the use of telepathy, I think it's more dangerous and corrupting than they portray it as and they've made it much too powerful...

I even used to have trouble with the Rapport between Jott, but understanding it as a bridge and not a one-way tunnel makes me appreciate it more.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.