Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Me too and now we will see how they take old man cable coming back my guess is that they will be happy to see him but also mourn the loss of their boy Nathan.
    Scott certainly will. Let's see if they'll remember Jean is supposed to be Nathan's mother. I'm not holding my breath. And, yes, I know I sound bitter. I'm bitter. I'm all for Scotty to be a dad, but why can't Jeannie be a mommy if they put her in this role? Anyway, I've whined about it already.

Ask questions until the writers tire of it and write it out? itīs one option. ;)
    Here’s a tip: tell them “show us that scene or we’ll keep asking about Jean’s dress!” :D

Jeez… I actually like that uniform, but I’m so tired of people talking about it, I daydream of going Dark Phoenix and burning that thing to cinders, so I can tell her: “Done, Jean. Now go get something else to wear so we can talk about anything else in your appreciation thread! Chop-chop!” :D

Yes please itīs been a long time, if Big A can have his romance so can Mags imo :)
    I have no idea who he’d “date”, though. Someone from Arakko? Abgail Brand? Krakoa? :D

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Scott certainly will. Let's see if they'll remember Jean is supposed to be Nathan's mother. I'm not holding my breath. And, yes, I know I sound bitter. I'm bitter. I'm all for Scotty to be a dad, but why can't Jeannie be a mommy if they put her in this role? Anyway, I've whined about it already.
    I think they tecnically still see Maddie as Nathanīs biological mother while Jean raised him, itīs complicated but itīs completely natural for her to act like a mother to him but comics books are weird when itīs about mothers, even Sue who gave brith and raised her children sometimes gets given a second place to Reedīs as with Franklin and Valeria, it would be nice if marvel developed more other roles for mothers appart from girlfriend or wife for a change. Itīs one of the reasons I lived Lorna acting like an Aunt for Luna.

Here’s a tip: tell them “show us that scene or we’ll keep asking about Jean’s dress!”
    Lol I can already ear them "NO, not Jeanīs dress again!!!

Jeez… I actually like that uniform, but I’m so tired of people talking about it, I daydream of going Dark Phoenix and burning that thing to cinders, so I can tell her: “Done, Jean. Now go get something else to wear so we can talk about anything else in your appreciation thread! Chop-chop!”
    I think the uniform means Jean came back to her roots and sheīs ready to take charge of her powers using the same uniform she used for her internal battle with dark phoenix, I donīt dislike it but it could use some modern modifications to make it more impressive and appealing.

I have no idea who he’d “date”, though. Someone from Arakko? Abgail Brand? Krakoa?
    Lol Krakoaīs is afraid of his baby girl so I donīt think it likes him much or at all

But I could see him dating Isca the Unbeaten they are both very focused in supporting and protecting their respective communities and both can admire the strength of the other, also after she called him soft and peaceful heīs sure to try to change her mind, nobody calls him soft and gets away with it XD.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I think they tecnically still see Maddie as Nathanīs biological mother while Jean raised him, itīs complicated but itīs completely natural for her to act like a mother to him but comics books are weird when itīs about mothers, even Sue who gave brith and raised her children sometimes gets given a second place to Reedīs as with Franklin and Valeria, it would be nice if marvel developed more other roles for mothers appart from girlfriend or wife for a change. Itīs one of the reasons I lived Lorna acting like an Aunt for Luna.
    Sue and Jean are big names and it's usually the male writers who get to write the main books, so they focus more on the dads. Don't get me wrong, please: I find the portrayal of the father-child relationship heart-warming and I can't ever get enough of it. But if the mother is around, I'd like to see the relationship with her kids just as much.

Even genetically speaking, Jean is Nathan’s mother. She was never pregnant with him, but she remembers that experience. Plus, she connected right away with him as he was a baby. And even as a baby, he chose her to be his mum. Not that any of it matters anyway, when you spend the next 13 years of your life or so raising that child (and she would have stayed longer had she been allowed): that's what makes Jean his mother, as much as Scott is his father.

But yeah, kid Cable is leaving and that was yet another wasted opportunity.

Time to focus on her heroic aspect, I suppose. I hope we get to see that. :)

“Write that Crucible voting! Write that Crucible voting now” :D

I think the uniform means Jean came back to her roots and sheīs ready to take charge of her powers using the same uniform she used for her internal battle with dark phoenix, I donīt dislike it but it could use some modern modifications to make it more impressive and appealing.
    I think it looks dated next to the modern uniforms and some artists don’t pay attention to the details that make it look charming, so I’d prefer if she wore any of her non-O5 uniforms. But honestly? Whatever. I’m more interested in how she’s been written.

Lol Krakoaīs is afraid of his baby girl so I donīt think it likes him much or at all :D

But I could see him dating Isca the Unbeaten they are both very focused in supporting and protecting their respective communities and both can admire the strength of the other, also after she called him soft and peaceful heīs sure to try to change her mind, nobody calls him soft and gets away with it XD.
    Isca can only be with him as long as he’s winning, so the moment he loses a chess match to Charles, she’s out! :D

I’m joking. It could work, I guess. I like relationship, romantic or not. So if well-written, why not? If it’s going to be too similar to Apocalypse and Genesis, though, then I’d prefer those panels to be use for something else.

Sue and Jean are big names and it's usually the male writers who get to write the main books, so they focus more on the dads. Don't get me wrong, please: I find the portrayal of the father-child relationship heart-warming and I can't ever get enough of it. But if the mother is around, I'd like to see the relationship with her kids just as much.

Even genetically speaking, Jean is Nathan’s mother. She was never pregnant with him, but she remembers that experience. Plus, she connected right away with him as he was a baby. As a baby, he chose her to be his mum. Not that any of it matters anyway, when you spend the next 13 years of your life or so raising that child (and she would have stayed longer had she been allowed).

Time to focus on her heroic aspect, I suppose. I hope we get to see that. :)

“Write that Crucible voting! Write that Crucible voting now” :D

I think it looks dated next to the modern uniforms and some artists don’t pay attention to the details that make it look charming, so I’d prefer if she wore any of her non-O5 uniforms. But honestly? Whatever. I’m more interested in how she’s been written.

Lol Krakoaīs is afraid of his baby girl so I donīt think it likes him much or at all :D

Isca can only be with him as long as he’s winning, so the moment he loses a chess match to Charles, she’s out! :D

I’m joking. It could work, I guess. I like relationships, romantic or not. So if well-written, why not? If it’s going to be too similar to Apocalypse and Genesis, though, then I’d prefer those panels to be used for something else.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 05-30-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Sue and Jean are big names and it's usually the male writers who get to write the main books, so they focus more on the dads. Don't get me wrong, please: I find the portrayal of the father-child relationship heart-warming and I can't ever get enough of it. But if the mother is around, I'd like to see the relationship with her kids just as much.Even genetically speaking, Jean is Nathan’s mother. She was never pregnant with him, but she remembers that experience. Plus, she connected right away with him as he was a baby. And even as a baby, he chose her to be his mum. Not that any of it matters anyway, when you spend the next 13 years of your life or so raising that child (and she would have stayed longer had she been allowed): that's what makes Jean his mother, as much as Scott is his father.

Time to focus on her heroic aspect, I suppose. I hope we get to see that.
    Agreed

“Write that Crucible voting! Write that Crucible voting now”
    Lol yes, "Write tht Crucible voting or else you will have so many questions over Jeanīs uniform you will not talk about anything else" XD

Agreed but I think a modern take could be interesting, or just keep the colors, something like this I would like to see:

lucas-werneck-jean-grey-mcu.jpg

Isca can only be with him as long as he’s winning, so the moment he loses a chess match to Charles, she’s out!
    Noo, Isca how could you? he will have to ask Charles to let him win every match now XD

I’m joking. It could work, I guess. I like relationship, romantic or not. So if well-written, why not? If it’s going to be too similar to Apocalypse and Genesis, though, then I’d prefer those panels to be use for something else.
    It could be similar but Genesis and Apocalypse REALLY believe in the "survival of the strong" and Magneto doesnīt really share that belief and Isca seems more focused in keeping and supporting Arrako so I could see where their relationship would be different and I guess I got excited after seeing that "Planet size art" it looked like they were getting along better and it would be interesting to explore that side of them.

Agreed

Even genetically speaking, Jean is Nathan’s mother. She was never pregnant with him, but she remembers that experience. Plus, she connected right away with him as he was a baby. As a baby, he chose her to be his mum. Not that any of it matters anyway, when you spend the next 13 years of your life or so raising that child (and she would have stayed longer had she been allowed).
    I agree but I think itīs only fair to consider Maddie as well given she gave birth to him and took care of him, she loved him before becoming a villain.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Lol yes, "Write tht Crucible voting or else you will have so many questions over Jeanīs uniform you will not talk about anything else" XD
    Now, imagine if that was an actual ultimatum we could impose and they chose to write the scene just so she remains in that dress! :D

I have such a weird sense of humour. I’m actually chuckling here! :D

Agreed but I think a modern take could be interesting, or just keep the colors, something like this I would like to see:
    That’s really cool! I like when the shoulders and neck are black, so the green doesn’t touch much/directly her hair.

Noo, Isca how could you? he will have to ask Charles to let him win every match now XD
    It could be similar but Genesis and Apocalypse REALLY believe in the "survival of the strong" and Magneto doesnīt really share that belief and Isca seems more focused in keeping and supporting Arrako so I could see where their relationship would be different and I guess I got excited after seeing that "Planet size art" it looked like they were getting along better and it would be interesting to explore that side of them.
    Imagine actually being a relationship with her and getting into an argument. The woman *always* wins. You’d have to put an inhibitor collar on her to stand a chance! :D

Jeez, I thought Jean as intimidating! :D

I agree but I think itīs only fair to consider Maddie as well given she gave birth to him and took care of him, she loved him before becoming a villain.
    I think Jean does consider that. I think she feels very guilty about what happened to Madelyne and because of that, she puts herself in an inferior position when it comes to parenting: as much as she loves Nathan, she doesn’t feel she has the “right” to see herself as his mother.

I think she felt different in the future, as Redd, though.

Anyway, at least that’s how I read this ridiculous difference in the treatment of her motherhood.

But for our real world, I think the writers *really* don’t see she is a much a mother to Nathan as Scott is a father to him. And it’s really upsetting to me not only because of Jean but because of all the wonderful parents I know who raised their adopted children just as well and with just as much love as any good biological parent would.

I know parenting has nothing to do with blood.

Now, imagine if that was an actual ultimatum we could impose and they chose to write the scene just so she remains in that dress!
    I have such a weird sense of humour. I’m actually chuckling here!
    Lol I would not put it past them, they even would use that uniform to show her voting and then keep using it on all her other scenes XD but I donīt think asking for a modern version is too much, they should consider itl.

That’s really cool! I like when the shoulders and neck are black, so the green doesn’t touch much/directly her hair.
    Itīs by Lucas Werneck I feel in love with it at first sight such a great work and heīs using her green/gold colors. He also did a great job for Storm and Wanda uniforms. I am happy heīs working with the X-office right now so maybe he will get a chance to add this to Jeanīs official uniform.

Imagine actually being a relationship with her and getting into an argument. The woman *always* wins. You’d have to put an inhibitor collar on her to stand a chance!

Jeez, I thought Jean as intimidating!
    Lol I could see them getting into epic fights given their personalities, I think them both would enjoy that as part of their relationship.

I think Jean does consider that. I think she feels very guilty about what happened to Madelyne and because of that, she puts herself in an inferior position when it comes to parenting: as much as she loves Nathan, she doesn’t feel she has the “right” to see herself as his mother.
    I think she felt different in the future, as Redd, though.Anyway, at least that’s how I read this ridiculous difference in the treatment of her motherhood.
    Yes I think at first she keep her distance but after seeing him grow up and take care of him itīs just natural for her to see him as HER Son. I donīt think recognizing them both as his Mom takes anything from each other, they cared for him at different times of his life and even Old man cable has been known to appreaciate them that way.

[QUOTE]But for our real world, I think the writers *really* don’t see she is a much a mother to Nathan as Scott is a father to him. And it’s really upsetting to me not only because of Jean but because of all the wonderful parents I know who raised their adopted children just as well and with just as much love as any good biological parent would.

I know parenting has nothing to do with blood.[/QUOTE]

Agreed I think it has to do with them having an easier time tackling father/Son relationships than Mother/Son still I would not mind to see more of the second, itīs about time. |

Lol I would not put it past them, they even would use that uniform to show her voting and then keep using it on all her other scenes XD but I donīt think asking for a modern version is too much, they should consider itl. :)
    Yeah. It shouldn’t, unless there’s an actual narrative reason for it. If there is, though, then maybe actually show it aalready or, at least, hint at it on the books.

But anyway, right now, I don’t care.

Itīs by Lucas Werneck I feel in love with it at first sight such a great work and heīs using her green/gold colors. He also did a great job for Storm and Wanda uniforms. I am happy heīs working with the X-office right now so maybe he will get a chance to add this to Jeanīs official uniform.
    Being green/gold is *not* a must for me. I wouldn’t mind if her uniform had completely different colours. I might actually prefer it. Jean is not the “Green Queen” and even Emma had black uniforms, so… why not?

But I don’t mind if she’s stuck to this colour scheme forever either. Most fans seem to really love her wearing green. *shrug*

Lol I could see them getting into epic fights given their personalities, I think them both would enjoy that as part of their relationship.
    It could be. We don’t know enough about Isca to say which would be the case. I’m not sure Eric would be very comfortable with always losing, though… Mmm… You’re making me actually think of this relationship now…

Yes I think at first she keep her distance but after seeing him grow up and take care of him itīs just natural for her to see him as HER Son.
    I think I know what you mean. But the “keep her distance” part was certainly not emotional or instinctual: Jean loved and protected that baby as a mother from the moment she first saw him at the orphanage.

Some people tend to think that the height of Jean and Scott’s relationship was her Phoenix period, but I wholeheartedly disagree. I think the way she felt about baby Chris (= Nathan) made him love her much more than before. And then their period as a family in the future? It just heightened everything to a whole different level.

The fact Scott never even mentions it once during Morrison’s run should tell you just how destroyed Apocalypse left his psyche. If Morrison intended that to be the case or not, I don’t know. But when you consider what is canon and who Scott is (and how he kept being portrayed after), it’s an inescapable conclusion.

I donīt think recognizing them both as his Mom takes anything from each other, they cared for him at different times of his life and even Old man cable has been known to appreaciate them that way.
    I agree. I never meant to steal Madelyne’s motherhood. I even said that on another post somewhere, but I’m too lazy to look for it. :D

Agreed I think it has to do with them having an easier time tackling father/Son relationships than Mother/Son still I would not mind to see more of the second, itīs about time.|
    Yes. It’s partially because they’re mostly male writers. But it’s more than that too. Sometimes they make a clear distinction in the text that is printed in the comics. And it really bothers me.

Yeah. It shouldn’t, unless there’s an actual narrative reason for it. If there is, though, then maybe actually show it aalready or, at least, hint at it on the books.But anyway, right now, I don’t care.
    Yes it would be nice to know her reasons for going back to that uniform, show donīt tell indeed

Being green/gold is *not* a must for me. I wouldn’t mind if her uniform had completely different colours. I might actually prefer it. Jean is not the “Green Queen” and even Emma had black uniforms, so… why not?But I don’t mind if she’s stuck to this colour scheme forever either. Most fans seem to really love her wearing green. *shrug*
    It makes for a fine mix of colors and I personally love how it looks together on her phoenix uniform so new takes on it are always exciting to me.

It could be. We don’t know enough about Isca to say which would be the case. I’m not sure Eric would be very comfortable with always losing, though… Mmm… You’re making me actually think of this relationship now…
    I donīt think her powers work quite that way unless they are fighting seriously, they could just have playful banter and fights once they are more used to each other, similar to the one they had when they meet. Love this scene, she saw right thought him and was lol so hard, like not even he belives that but he needs to appear they have got it together and her just seeing that but still trying to understand and be nice is just so fun to me.

I think I know what you mean. But the “keep her distance” part was certainly not emotional or instinctual: Jean loved and protected that baby as a mother from the moment she first saw him at the orphanage.
    I donīt dobut she loved him still I think given Scott was tecnically still married I donīt think she went full into mother role until she had the opportunity to raise him

Some people tend to think that the height of Jean and Scott’s relationship was her Phoenix period, but I wholeheartedly disagree. I think the way she felt about baby Chris (= Nathan) made him love her much more than before. And then their period as a family in the future? It just heightened everything to a whole different level.
    Agreed

The fact Scott never even mentions it once during Morrison’s run should tell you just how destroyed Apocalypse left his psyche. If Morrison intended that to be the case or not, I don’t know. But when you consider what is canon and who Scott is (and how he kept being portrayed after), it’s an inescapable conclusion.
    I think Morrison wanted Scott to have more agency inside their relationship and to put some doubt on the X-men perfect relationship as a way to explore both Jean and Scott, he was deconstrunsting their marriage bassically and hence the presence of Emma and Wolvie, the Apocalypse possesion was a factor but I donīt think it was the only one because itīs not the first time Scott felt attracted to other women the main difference was that this time he was ready to give it more thought than before, maybe because of his perception of Jean being emotionally undisposed, his own insecurities, his fear of her becoming dark phoenix, etc I think there were different elements for this and given neither Nathan or Rachel were around I could see them focusing more on what keep them appart than on what keep them together, hope this makes sense.

I agree. I never meant to steal Madelyne’s motherhood. I even said that on another post somewhere, but I’m too lazy to look for it.

Yes. It’s partially because they’re mostly male writers. But it’s more than that too. Sometimes they make a clear distinction in the text that is printed in the comics. And it really bothers me.
    Agreed if feels like they are debirately writting one relationship as more important than the other, especially when it comes to mothers so a change would be welcome.

Yes it would be nice to know her reasons for going back to that uniform, show donīt tell indeed :)
    She died in the Moon using that uniform. It represents her choice to live as a human instead of a goddess. Now she lives on the Moon because nothing of that bothers her anymore. She’s over the Phoenix and all that mess. That’s it?

Cool, girl. But if you need to be wearing a symbol of this disposition, maybe you’re not that over any of that?

Okay, why am I doing this again? Why am I thinking? :P

It makes for a fine mix of colors and I personally love how it looks together on her phoenix uniform so new takes on it are always exciting to me.
    I think she could look even better with different colours but if she has to stay with the green, so be it.

Jean made that horrible yellow uniform of the 90s work. The girl is gifted indeed. :D

I donīt think her powers work quite that way unless they are fighting seriously, they could just have playful banter and fights once they are more used to each other, similar to the one they had when they meet. Love this scene, she saw right thought him and was lol so hard, like not even he belives that but he needs to appear they have got it together and her just seeing that but still trying to understand and be nice is just so fun to me.
    Honestly? I find most of those mutants from Arakko insufferable, but Eric has been insufferable too. So it could be fun to see this relationship exactly because of that! :D

I donīt dobut she loved him still I think given Scott was tecnically still married I donīt think she went full into mother role until she had the opportunity to raise him.
    Well, Jean only gets to raise the baby after Madelyine dies, so Scott is a widower by then. Before that, Scott isn’t raising him either. But anyway, after Inferno, Jean most certainly went full into the mother role. That was still part of the X-Factor period and it goes on until the very end, when Scott sends Nathan to the future. At this point, Jean is really raising Nathan as her baby already. It predates the Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix.

I think Morrison wanted Scott to have more agency inside their relationship and to put some doubt on the X-men perfect relationship as a way to explore both Jean and Scott,
    Not trying to challenging you here, okay? Just really curious: in what ways did Scott need more agency inside their relationship?

This is really weird to me because I often see Jean’s fans saying the same thing. But I can’t find any factual evidence that they weren’t actually were pretty equal. They often talked about what they wanted to do and decided together. Kinda like re-starting the X-Men now.

he was deconstrunsting their marriage bassically and hence the presence of Emma and Wolvie, the Apocalypse possesion was a factor but I donīt think it was the only one because itīs not the first time Scott felt attracted to other women the main difference was that this time he was ready to give it more thought than before, maybe because of his perception of Jean being emotionally undisposed, his own insecurities, his fear of her becoming dark phoenix, etc I think there were different elements for this and given neither Nathan or Rachel were around I could see them focusing more on what keep them appart than on what keep them together, hope this makes sense.
    I get what you mean, but I don’t think it was neither of that.

Being attracted to other people is normal. You don’t lose your hormones just because you’re in a committed relationship. Being confused about this attraction is a different discussion.

And I’ll post about it bellow, since I’ll add some images too.

Agreed if feels like they are debirately writting one relationship as more important than the other, especially when it comes to mothers so a change would be welcome.
    Yeah, but that opportunity was pretty much wasted at this point, unfortunately. :(

Okay, so this is answering to Lucyinthesky’s previous post.

Being attracted to other people is normal. You don’t lose your hormones just because you’re in a committed relationship. Being confused about this attraction is a different discussion.

Prior to Morrison's run, the only other time that happened to Scott was with Psylocke. And that was yet another moment of emotional instability that had nothing to do with his feelings for Jean, actually.

He was having trouble dealing with his sending Nathan to the future. He wasn’t opening up about it and it was eating at him. And Jean was there, trying to get him to talk to her, but tired of having to break his fortress down yet again.

This happens in X-Men #20, actually, so it’s out of the chronological order. It’s just for the sentiment: “(...)Because suddenly she knows... knows with a stunning certainty that the thoughts, loves and drives of the man she loves are suddenly unknown to her. But should she be surprised? Hasn't it always been a struggle for the two of them? Haven't they always been forced to chip away at the emotional barriers that life as mutants, as x-men, has built around them? Maybe it's just that her arms are weary. The chisel worn. The hammer lost its bite. (...)”

So he’s feeling horrible about sending baby Nathan to the future and somewhat confused because of his attraction to her, but then comes the mess with Strife and it really screws up with him. And that’s when he got really lost. Look at how the increasingly emotional distress of the experience with Strife affects him:

Before Strife:

After Strife:

Interesting to notice: there was also an instance where a villain (like Casandra Nova does 2 or 3 times), invaded Scott’s mind and played with his insecurities as well. This happens on X-Men #19, the issue before he leaves.

"And best of all -- Scott Summers. What misery you've endured! That pain -- what tremendous guilt! You dream of Jean Grey but can you provide for her? Help make her whole? -- When you have so sadly failed in providing for yourself, for Madelyine and most of all your lost son, Nathan".
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-01-2021 at 12:54 PM.

When Psylocke hits on him really aggressively, he really can’t deal with it the pressure anymore and he leaves.

Regardless of his attraction and confusion, he’s not exactly a willing participant, right?

So he goes to Alaska and he spends 3 weeks with his grandparents and he talks about Nathan and his life. A little insight of how he’s feeling:

- Scott: My son, Nathan, was infected by a strange virus. He was dying. In order to save his life, I allowed him to be taken to a future where I was assured he'd be cured. In retrospect, I guess the choice was simple -- see him die in my arms, or let him go so that he might have a chance. So I let him go -- I watched him disappear in a white glow of light -- and I lost him."

- Deborah: And you don't know -- you'll never know -- if it was the right choice or not?

- Scott: No... I found out... Heaven help me, I found out. I think that by saving Nathan's life... I ruined it. I think my choice turned my son into a madman -- a demagogue from the future who called himself Strife. A man who came back in time to ge revenge on the father whose choice destroyed his sanity. But I'm not supposed to say that. Jean and I-- the professor and my other friends -- we don't talk about it-- as if by shutting it al out, we'll make it all go away... But it doesn't... it doesn't ever go away! The truth is... I saw my own son as an adult... and because of the choice I made, my son has grown up to become everything I've fought my entire life to stop! (...)
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-01-2021 at 11:05 AM.

So the distance and the talk gives him the perspective that he needs. When he comes back, we get that scene in the airport that I posted earlier and Jean and Scott commit to talk to each other and there isn’t a sign of confusion (about their relationship) on him anymore.

So basically, that is really another instance - just like on Morrison’s run - that shows that Scott only doubts his love for Jean when he’s not emotionally stable and he pushes her away.

(We can expand on that if any of you would be interested).

They’re very different people and their relationship is certainly difficult because of that. But when they manage to communicate, they find each other again.

In time: he’s not the only one who does that. To be fair, Jean sometimes is the one who can’t talk to him either about what is going on with her.

That alone shows you that their relationship was *never* perfect. It’s challenging and complex and it’s one of the reasons why I love it.

Now, after that commitment they made to each other (the airport/bedroom scenes I posted earlier), I’d think they - especially Scott, since he was the one who identified it so well - had learnt better. Morrison decided to go on this route again, so I have to believe that Scott couldn’t make himself talk to Jean because he was really devastated by the experience with Apocalypse.

Just before that, they were doing fine. They were in Alaska, taking a break, trying to start their family and they didn’t want to go back to the X-Men (this happens on the very first issue of The Twelve storyline, than ends with him being possessed). The only thing that happened in between being in love trying to get pregnant and being utterly unable to communicate was the possession, so… that is really the only factor here.

Everything else that led to their problems springs from that.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 06-01-2021 at 11:08 AM.

So the distance and the talk gives him the perspective that he needs. When he comes back, we get that scene in the airport that I posted earlier and Jean and Scott commit to talk to each other and there isn’t a sign of confusion (about their relationship) on him anymore.

So basically, that is really another instance - just like on Morrison’s run - that shows that Scott only doubts his love for Jean when he’s not emotionally stable and he pushes her away.

(We can expand on that if any of you would be interested).

They’re very different people and their relationship is certainly difficult because of that. But when they manage to communicate, they find each other again.

In time: he’s not the only one who does that. To be fair, Jean sometimes is the one who can’t talk to him either about what is going on with her.

That alone shows you that their relationship was *never* perfect. It’s challenging and complex and it’s one of the reasons why I love it.

Now, after that commitment they made to each other (the airport/bedroom scenes I posted earlier), I’d think they - especially Scott, since he was the one who identified it so well - had learnt better. Morrison decided to go on this route again, so I have to believe that Scott couldn’t make himself talk to Jean because he was really devastated by the experience with Apocalypse.

Just before that, they were doing fine. They were in Alaska, taking a break, trying to start their family and they didn’t want to go back to the X-Men (this happens on the very first issue of The Twelve storyline, than ends with him being possessed). The only thing that happened in between being in love trying to get pregnant and being utterly unable to communicate was the possession, so… that is really the only factor here.

Everything else that led to their problems springs from that.
    I really like your take on things. Really well explained and thought out.