All-New Member

Default Getting back into Comics... suggestions and help please!!!

Hey Forums

I'm a lapsed reader looking to get back into things and I have a few questions!!!

I read from Grant Morrison New X-Men/Bendis Daredevil/The rise of Geoff johns era of books all the way up to DC Rebirth five years ago and that's when I dropped out.

I am dipping my foot in right now. I am enjoying Bendis' Young Justice stuff just fine and I've started reading some of his Superman stuff which is great at times and very... well the typical bendis stuff too at times. Any Super stuff worth checking out?

Is there any Tim Drake stuff I've missed in the past five years outside of YJ?

I love DC Comics but I have to be honest that nothing coming up is catching my eye, except the art on that new Nightwing. Is Tom Taylor a good writer? I only know him as the guy who wrote that Injustice stuff and that never caught my attention.

Wonder Woman is one of my favorite characters, I loved Phil, and Rucka and Gail's run... should I check out Rucka's rebirth return to the character or did it not have the same magic as before? What about Becky Cloonan upcoming run? Is she worth checking out as a writer? Anything else Wondy related I should read?

Should I read that recent Vendetti Hawkman stuff? That's a character I love.

Marvel was slowly losing me as a reader near the end but I do love the FF and X-Men... can I read Hickman's Xmen stuff without reading fifty other x-books? Does it work on its own?

What about hickman's Fantastic Four? Should I read that or just jump in straight with the new Dan Slott stuff?

Looking forward to all the suggestions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoman2584 View Post
    Hey Forums

I'm a lapsed reader looking to get back into things and I have a few questions!!!

I read from Grant Morrison New X-Men/Bendis Daredevil/The rise of Geoff johns era of books all the way up to DC Rebirth five years ago and that's when I dropped out.

I am dipping my foot in right now. I am enjoying Bendis' Young Justice stuff just fine and I've started reading some of his Superman stuff which is great at times and very... well the typical bendis stuff too at times. Any Super stuff worth checking out?

Is there any Tim Drake stuff I've missed in the past five years outside of YJ?

I love DC Comics but I have to be honest that nothing coming up is catching my eye, except the art on that new Nightwing. Is Tom Taylor a good writer? I only know him as the guy who wrote that Injustice stuff and that never caught my attention.

Wonder Woman is one of my favorite characters, I loved Phil, and Rucka and Gail's run... should I check out Rucka's rebirth return to the character or did it not have the same magic as before? What about Becky Cloonan upcoming run? Is she worth checking out as a writer? Anything else Wondy related I should read?

Should I read that recent Vendetti Hawkman stuff? That's a character I love.

Marvel was slowly losing me as a reader near the end but I do love the FF and X-Men... can I read Hickman's Xmen stuff without reading fifty other x-books? Does it work on its own?

What about hickman's Fantastic Four? Should I read that or just jump in straight with the new Dan Slott stuff?

Looking forward to all the suggestions!!!!!
    Let’s see, if you are waiting to get back in Infinite Frontier is out in March with previews of the upcoming stories written by the various writers. Think of it as a sampler to see what storylines you might like.

Tom Taylor is someone I like but I understand that not everyone feels the same way, but he did write for Marvel so if you liked All-new Wolverine and X-men: Red so if you know and or like those then he might be someone you like.

Tim Drake was a part of James Tynion’s rebirth detective comics run and should be a supporting character in his current Batman run.

As for Wonder Woman if you want to get an idea of Becky Cloonan you could either wait or grab the future State series she’s writing now to test out her writing abilities. She’s also written other stuff for DC that you can look into.

I recommend the Vendetti Hawkman run, it’s probably one of the better Hawkman stories I’ve read in a decade and it ties very well with his entire history as a character.

Might want to go to the Marvel thread for the Marvel questions though....but personally there are so many x-men books right now there has to be at least one you’ll like so see what catches your eye. No comment on Fantastic Four but DC did have an equivalent that lasted 30 issues called the Terrifics and it was pretty fun in my opinion.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Let’s see, if you are waiting to get back in Infinite Frontier is out in March with previews of the upcoming stories written by the various writers. Think of it as a sampler to see what storylines you might like.

Tom Taylor is someone I like but I understand that not everyone feels the same way, but he did write for Marvel so if you liked All-new Wolverine and X-men: Red so if you know and or like those then he might be someone you like.

Tim Drake was a part of James Tynion’s rebirth detective comics run and should be a supporting character in his current Batman run.

As for Wonder Woman if you want to get an idea of Becky Cloonan you could either wait or grab the future State series she’s writing now to test out her writing abilities. She’s also written other stuff for DC that you can look into.

I recommend the Vendetti Hawkman run, it’s probably one of the better Hawkman stories I’ve read in a decade and it ties very well with his entire history as a character.

Might want to go to the Marvel thread for the Marvel questions though....but personally there are so many x-men books right now there has to be at least one you’ll like so see what catches your eye. No comment on Fantastic Four but DC did have an equivalent that lasted 30 issues called the Terrifics and it was pretty fun in my opinion.
    Mr terrific had a book that went for 30 issues?????????

Quote Originally Posted by Smoman2584 View Post
    Mr terrific had a book that went for 30 issues?????????
    Mr. Terrific had a book where he lead a team of Plastic Man, Metamorpho, and Phantom Girl (along with a variety of other characters who would show up) for 30 issues. They were kind of a sci-fi adventure team similar to the FF.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.