Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default New Mutants #15 Spoiler/Review Thread - Out of The Shadows

Akademos Habitat. Magik is training the kids with an emphasis on synergy. The Shadow King tells Cosmar she would do well in the Crucible but that she shouldnt skip her training.

Boneyard, Gabby interrupts Daken with Aurora. Followup to Prodigy wanting to investigate dead bodies.. Daken doesnt have time to talk to her now but will later

All the kids are training. Rain Boy synergizes with Shark Girl. Tempest with Armor. Cosmar with Anole. Scout with Sprite. Gabby approaches one of the mutants and mentions that she is Wolverine, aka Laura's sister. She says the last time they met was in AOX, but he says that never happened as they died on Genosha.

Datapage. Elixir writes Rahne a message saying that her request to resurrect her son was denied. X-Factor will help her eventually. At the Sextant, she is pissed and upset. She just wants her son back and its not fair. Dani comforts her. Karma comes and reminds them of the party.

Datapage of Amahl talking about his relationship with The Shadow.

Green Lagoon - Lots of cames including Dazzler, Lila Cheney, Havok, Peepers, Bei, Doug, Daken, Sunspot, Cannonball, Chamber, Quentin, a Cuckoo. Cypher tells Roberto and Sam that he just got back from his honeymoon. Illyna gives him a head knuckle and eases him.. Bei doesnt like that. Gabby is looking for Daken. Rahne is drinking at the bar where Dani finds her. Apparently Rahne is uneasy of Doug's new marriage. She's hurting and Dani mentions her love for him. Cosmar approaches them and tells Dani she respects her control over her powers. She asks her to be her partner in the Crucible. Dani tells her thats for mutants to heal that have lost their gifts; she doesnt need it. Cosmar cries and runs off. The NM celebrate and start dancing as SK gives them a toast
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-27-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Such a strong, emotional issue. Vita really makes Dani, Rahne, Gabby and the other kids shine, while bringing various other nice little wordbuilding treats for fans to chew on. Just two issues and it's already one of my favorite books of the line

I'm shocked that we got so much character development for Rahne, Cosmar, Farouk, and Gabby in a single issue. Long live Vita!

Epic turnaround for this book under Vita. They do a great job with the core cast and the newer characters. This investigation of Shadow King is also fantastic. Feels perfectly 'New Mutants', art included. Brava!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mighty Member

I don’t really know Gabby, but I feel bad for her. She’s the little sister no one has time for and the people she knew in AOX didn’t know her or meet her before. Sad.

Good issue. I feel for Cosmair too. I’m surprised in certain cases they wouldn’t make a new body for a mutant and just transfer over their mind. Or would that just be like the body was brain dead?

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I just caught a peep of Peepers!
    My flag is bacon.

Honeslty one of my favorite issues. And that Sunspot line when he's talking to Doug made me chuckle aloud.

Scout and Cosmar

Rod Reis on art is everything.

And I guess Shadow King isn't in hiding because he was visible for everyone to see. And that data page on him. You could see the descent to darkness.

Just awesome.

I'm looking forward to Vita's run.

The one thing I will say is that the dynamic she is giving to the OG New Mutants. I wish a writer would give that to the OG New X-Men kids.

Yes we got a reunion. But I want this as well.

Extraordinary Member

Magik doesn't train anyone this issue. The first training is overseen by Farouk and the second by Warpath.

The preview where the 'fort' is burned down and Magik goes off to teach some bullies a lesson is definitely meant to be from a different point in the timeline, since it's never touched on again.

Dani continues to be the group therapist, but there's a definite sense that the New Mutants don't know how to properly relate to the younger kids or understand their emotional issues. Dani has that with Cosmar and Warpath has that with Scout. That's a big part of how Shadow King can get his claws into them. Oddly, Magik's scene is the only one is which a New Mutant actually understands what's going on with the kids. Someone like Nightcrawler should really speak with Cosmar.

People being out of touch seems to be a strong theme, the New Mutants with the kids and the government with the New Mutants given Rahne's situation.

Vita has done a great job here, with very interesting plots and conflicts to better examine Krakoa and the characters.

But god, they should have given Reis more time for this.

Astonishing Member

Gabby is sad..

Maybe they could ask Masque to fix Cosmar? Or Madison's brother, if he's alive.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Mighty Member

What I liked:

- The possibility of Rahne's son being resurrected
    - Some character development for Rahne
    - Sam and Roberto are back this issue
    - Magik's dancing partner is Karma

What I disliked:

- Rod Reis sketchy art
    - Too many panels focusing on the younger kids
    - No real action/villains in this issue
    Last edited by ericng; 01-27-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Overall a nice issue.

I wasn't expecting Rahne's kid to be brought up, I'm glad Vita's decided to utilize that dropped plot point and give Rahne some ethos.

I did feel the pacing was a little off in this issue, though. I appreciate the down-time but I feel like it's a bit early in the run? I kinda wanted to know more about what SK is up to.

Also have mixed feelings on Scout. I'v never clicked with the character and she's still a hard sell for me. Maybe she'll grow on me later.

I'm feeling the slow burn. Vita is setting up what the day to day looks like and the disconnect between generations

There is definitely some Shadow King machinations brewing. Can't wait to see what Vita does.

Shout out to all the people who remember Elixir and Rhane used to date when Elixir was under aged which was why he was willing to help her lol.

I really liked this issue and man bored little sister Honey Badger was funny.

It seems to me like the Shadow King likes Cosmar to be his new host so he is grooming her for that reason.

I wonder if the Genosha mutants are going to be as ok with just letting the humans off the hook for killing so many of them. I think the Genosha mutants might end up being more in favor of Arrako's or Exodus way of thinking rather than a more defensive mind set of of typical X-men team.