Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

One of my favorite Dawn of X/Reign of X issues so far. So much packed into this one issue. I feel like Vita understands so far more than most of the other team books that each member of the cast should have an arc pushing forward, not just pop up in random storylines.

Between Vita's first two issues, we have such a strong sense of why the key cast members (Rahne, Dani, Karma, Warpath, Scout, Magik, Wolfsbane, Anole, & Cosmar) are in the book and what their personal storylines are going to be. I love how this book feels like a #14 and a #15 of this series while still feeling new and refreshing. You can feel the repercussions of Brisson's plots (with Cosmar) as well as Hickman's (with a lot of the work on the og cast) even as Vita starts their own direction.

Feels like there is a lot of coordination between Leah/Vita here with lots of references to the current state of things in X-Factor, which I loved. Along with the Maddie reference last issue, Vita is doing a great job of making the other books feel relevant to this one.

It's also great that Vita seems to be addressing some of the big issues of this era. This book feels like a companion to both Way of X and X-Factor in the issues it's exploring from a youth perspective, including Tier and Madeleine Pryor's resurrections and just the general idea of the flaws of this new society making it easy for someone like Shadow King to influence the kids. Loved the question of whether Cosmar can be resurrected without the physical side of his mutation as well. That's a really rich element for discussion.

Also, I think Vita introduced a nonbinary character in Cam (also from Prisoner X, a good reference), who is referred to by they/them pronouns here. Great to see.
    Last edited by Krakoa; 01-27-2021 at 02:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm really enjoying Vita's new direction for this book. And Rod Reis' art is EVERYTHING, he really brings that Sienkiewicz vibe to New Mutants which is obviously very appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Isn't that basically the Morlock storyline? Sure there were human-passing mutants like Callisto too but the vast majority were ones that couldn't "pass".

I do feel like that sort of classism might be a storyline to explore once mutant numbers go up and the culture expands.
    There were more freakish one created later but I felt most of the ones Claremont and Simonson created could pass

The context that Claremont put out there in terms of passing didnt really make sense back then considering most of the named ones looked human

BANNED

Huhhhhhhhhh, IS SHADOWKING TRYING TO INFINITE TSUKYOMI KRAKOA??????????? He's literally spouting Madara's ideals lmao(or the girl who's writing what shadowking told her)

Spectacular Member

This issue was so so so so so so so so good. This ruled.

What a find Vita Ayala is to the X-Office. I wasn't that interested in Children of the Atom when it was announced but after these last two New Mutants issues (not to mention the Storm issue of Marauders she wrote for X) I'll follow her to anything she wants to write.

This felt like a double sized issue even though it wasn't just because it packed so much character work and plot development in. I know this might be a bit of slow burn for some but I'm loving that Ayala is directly taking on different aspects of Krakoan society and what the New Mutant cast thinks of it.

I love Reis' art. There were a few panels where the figure work was not that detailed, but you could still tell who everyone is and it really does invoke Bill Sienkiewicz in the best way

Anyway, I loved this issue.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This was great, a lot of strong character beats and with a large cast and nice acknowledgement of their history. Intriguing build up of the Shadow King plot, it seems like the more monstrous part of SK may be from Otherworld?

About the possibility of a Shadow King resurrection, Cerebro has probably recorded his mind while he was possessing someone, and Sinister has been actively collecting mutants' genetic material since the 19th Century, with a particular interest in powerful mutants so it's possible he had a sample from Farouk. Although as pointed out he wasn't necessarily brought back via the Five.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    There were more freakish one created later but I felt most of the ones Claremont and Simonson created could pass

The context that Claremont put out there in terms of passing didnt really make sense back then considering most of the named ones looked human
    He probably could've done a better job emphasizing that context but he did sort of explore it with them not feeling comfortable blending in "normal" society. Considering the Morlocks probably also represented a very direct metaphor for homeless, they probably also included lots of mutants that might have more overt mental health concerns too that didn't "blend" as well either.

As you mention, the physical differences do get expanded upon later.

Really enjoying this new direction. The kids don’t need contrived away missions to be interesting - they’re kids in a weird utopia, half of them don’t look human and the other half have all sorts of crazy issues.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 01-27-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    This was a really good issue. I loved that it acknowledged that Tier exists, and everything that happened in PAD's run. Also, all of the interactions were quite good.

I particularly liked that it looks Vita is gonna touch on human-looking mutants vs non-human-looking mutants. Dani, while well-meaning, just doesn't understand what it's like to be a mutant like Cosmar. Which is why Anole kinda snaps at Dani as well.
    Doesn't make any difference. Moment Cosmar's powers kick in she'll revert back to her appearance. That's the nature of her power and what Dani really meant by what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Doesn't make any difference. Moment Cosmar's powers kick in she'll revert back to her appearance. That's the nature of her power and what Dani really meant by what she said.
    Would it? I got the impression that Cosmar's appearance is a result of not being able to control her powers when they activated and she being affected by it as a result. She has more control over them and having them activated under the supervision of Hope to stabilize her, should fix tha

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

I think we should keep in mind that for X-gene mutants the inability to pass as normal humans, isn't purely about how they look, but how much they can hide their super powers. Many of the normal human looking Morlocks were people who's super powers were beyond their ability to controll, hence outing them as mutants that way.
    Which often also involved powers which were relatively minor or close to useless.

Like a mutant who's powers are to have smoke comming out of their ears when they laugh or cry.

Marrow for example, despite being one of the "freakish" looking Morlocks, can look perfectly human with enough controll over her powers, since what makes her unable to pass are the bone-like growths comming out of her otherwise normal looking body (her inner workings might be heavily mutated too given her second heart though). While someone like Chickenwings or Meme would never be able to pass as his powers have physicaly altered his exterior body beyond human shape.

Even among the Morlocks who could controll their powers, their backstory would often involve having displayed their powers publicly either accidental or when they first activated, hence causing them to become outcasts from their social circles.

So the foundation of the Morlocks wasn't just looking mutated but being generaly outcasts thanks to the singular or constant inability to hide their powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    I know this might be a bit of slow burn for some but I'm loving that Ayala is directly taking on different aspects of Krakoan society and what the New Mutant cast thinks of it.
    Exactly, I feel like even though this isn't the most action-packed yet, it actually feels faster to me than many of the other series (Marauders, X-Force) where a ton of stuff happens in each issue but it feels like the character arcs are moving very slowly though each issue and supporting cast members go forgotten for months at a time.

Amazing Member

Did no one notice the Tempest/Oya mistake? I can’t believe this went to print. Angel Salvatore was only Tempest with that power set when she was depowered and used tech. But she’s drawn using them for mutant synergy? I do think the Tempest costume works well for Oya with a few X insignias slapped on.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I hate this terrible relationship Doug is in. Let’s hope it retconned soon.
    Me too but if everybody is trying a party for them in this issue, it seems that it will last longer than we expected.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Yeah I don't think it was ever clear and that's probably the debate Vita is raising here - what happens to the children who died before their mutations could kick in?
    His powers already kicked in.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Tier_...ir_(Earth-616)

If Tier were brought back, he would be too matured and powerful for rest of the newer mutants since he's half-god.
    Last edited by ericng; 01-27-2021 at 06:09 PM.