Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I dropped the book. I was bored.

This shoulda just been Storm-centric.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    To be fair cyclops did take out a few insurrectionists, including by using his ability to ricochet his blast off targets. He had a nice showing before he was surprised attacked.
    Now you know if the roles were reversed, you'd be upset. Hickman's writing today of Scott was pathetic! He had 3 lines and got knocked out quite easily and had to be tended to by Jean while he lay asleep. Captain Coma was not it!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Now you know if the roles were reversed, you'd be upset. Hickman's writing today of Scott was pathetic! He had 3 lines and got knocked out quite easily and had to be tended to by Jean while he lay asleep. Captain Coma was not it!
    Storm and Jean aren't the only X-Men who can take naps during boring battles.
    Also... You're not wrong.
    Is X-Force the only book in which Jean can have power and agency?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    It's a weird choice for Scott & Jean to pull on their Simonson X-Factor costumes out of nowhere. Doubly so when Dauterman drew Jean's X-Men Red costume for GSXM and Hickman insisted it be coloured green & yellow "like all Jean costumes should be."
    The way Hickman said he wanted superhero costumes to be treated during the Krakao era is to think of them more as clothes. Maybe Jean and Scott just felt like switching it up today.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I misread this as X-Farce because I’m sleepy, and I’m totally using that.

Astonishing Member

How did she lack power and agency in this issue?

I actually enjoyed this issue, and that is a rarity for a Hickman X-men related comic. Only two nitpicks would first be his awful characterization of Sunspot(did not enjoy his Sunspot in New Mutants either). Way too cavalier about everything and too jokey. Sunspot is not Deadpool. Next nitpick would be me not understanding why Storm was singled out as being owed a debt. Jean had just as much too do with saving her by finding the traitor and all three were there in the rescue attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Man the people who hate this art are just unbelievable this was so well drawn
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I thought the art was lovely, especially the way Booth drew Scott and Jean. I don't know why people have such a bias against this style, as if all 90's art is indistinguishable from Liefeld. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    Yep. I can totally understand not liking the man personally and the way some people planned on boycotting this issue, but to call this art awful is just bizarre to me. Booth's art was utterly fantastic in this issue.
    Last edited by thjan; 01-27-2021 at 03:05 PM.

This issue felt like an Annual issue from the late 90s. That's not a good thing.

Art was barftastic. I wonder if they knew they had to do this stinker issue to lay out plans for the future and that's why they hired Booth for it lol.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    let's be clear the roles were reversed for years when Storm was taking naps, taking back seats to cyclops, Wolverine during schism and being a nice wall-flower who was lowballed in jean's xmen red so if you wanna have this conversation let's not forget history. cyclops has years of xmen (cyclops was right) stories centered around him and the summers family (and a new book dropping soon around this), him getting to take a nap for once shouldn't be perceived as the worst thing to the xmen comics.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    How did she lack power and agency in this issue?
    I'll grant that the telepathic display was nice... albeit basic.

Why was she holding Smasher's hand when flying down into the catacombs? Can't Jean fly in this book?
    Rushing to cradle her fallen lover while crying that he needs help? What about getting angry and telekinetically taking every one of those pathetic insurrectionists apart atom by atom because they dared hurt her man?
    This was easily a situation Jean could have solo destroyed the bad guys and retrieved Xandra. Hell, Cyclops or Storm could have soloed this dungeon.
    The Jean in X-Force has attitude and teeth. Since HoX/PoX, Hickman's Jean feels weak and helpless. I figure he'll Phoenix her out in the end to destroy the black hole machine gods, so he's intentionally keeping her weak right now and will gradually power her up.
    Last edited by nx01a; 01-27-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Incredible Member

Definitely felt like a throwback issue, down to the art style. Didn't feel like it was written by Hickman (aside from the text chain between Sunspot and Cannonball).

Is this galactic collapse related to Ewing's Snarkwar? With this issue being such a 90's throwback, I was expecting editor's text bubbles saying "Check out Guardians of the Galaxy. Nuff said.'

let's be clear the roles were reversed for years when Storm was taking naps, taking back seats to cyclops, Wolverine during schism and being a nice wall-flower who was lowballed in jean's xmen red so if you wanna have this conversation let's not forget history. cyclops has years of xmen (cyclops was right) stories centered around him and the summers family (and a new book dropping soon around this), him getting to take a nap for once shouldn't be perceived as the worst thing to the xmen comics.
    That is why is hard to complain. Scott will probably get more stories awhen the team will be fully formed on the book

It isn't the worst thing but just like when it was happening to Storm on the regular, it's not a good thing. Storm getting jobbed to make Kitty look better or being Jean's wallpaper weren't good things, either. I'm happy Storm will get more focus coming up this year.

The asleep and drooling look isn't good on either of them but Cyclops and Storm have so much on their shoulders, they deserve a good rest sometimes.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    That is why is hard to complain. Scott will probably get more stories awhen the team will be fully formed on the book
    exactly. I know it sucks seeing your fave lowballed or taken out easily but Storm is long overdue to be shown as the powerhouse she is rarely shown to be.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I'll grant that the telepathic display was nice... albeit basic.

Why was she holding Smasher's hand when flying down into the catacombs? Can't Jean fly in this book?
    Rushing to cradle her fallen lover while crying that he needs help? What about getting angry and telekinetically taking every one of those pathetic insurrectionists apart atom by atom because they dared hurt her man?
    This was easily a situation Jean could have solo destroyed the bad guys and retrieved Xandra. Hell, Cyclops or Storm could have soloed this dungeon.
    The Jean in X-Force has attitude and teeth. Since HoX/PoX, Hickman's Jean feels weak and helpless. I figure he'll Phoenix her out in the end to destroy the black hole machine gods, so he's intentionally keeping her weak right now and will gradually power her up.
    That is not a good justification, Jean is powerful without the Phoenix