Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-men 17 Spoiler/Review Thread - "Put us to work"

Xandra's missing and Deathbird suspects foul play so she recruits the X-men to help investigate discreetly so it doesnt get out. Jean, Storm and Scott arrive at Cannonball's home. Smasher updates them on whats happened. Jean then astral projects to do a telepathic scan of the Shi'ar citizens and fines the spy. Scott and Storm attack him

Xandra is seen with some of her abductors in the catacombs. The X-men plus Smasher descend down into the catacombs to look for her and blasts the villians as Smasher protects Xandra. Scott gets knocked out with a blow to the head by the hammer. Smasher pings home to Sam but gets Bobby. He namedrops X-Corp. Sam presses a button a bunch of Smashers join the battle. Xandra is about to be killed but Storm saves her

Later, Xandra is grateful and says she has a debt to collect when she wants

The most interesting thing is that what was hinted at the end of X of Swords begins to move, the future of Storm is in space. On the other hand, the number has some good moment of action but it seemed to me to be quite weak, worse than last week. And X-Corp with Sunspot too.

Meh. Not bad, not good but it has ideas that can be interesting.

The writing isn't as bad as I read some people on Twitter mention. But yeah I thought I would like the art but I'm kind of indifferent towards it now.

The colorist helped.

What did Storm exactly do in that panel. A lightning shield?

The writing was not especially bad, the problem is that in this issue not much happens. And that villain looks straight out of the 90s. I guess he would be a tribute with Brooth but I'm not very interested in homage to the 90s.

This issue was very boring. The problem presented was solved by the end in a simple fight where Cyclops got jobbed and Jean forgot she had telekinesis. It all happened so that Xandra has a "debt" with Storm, which was very random. She did nothing special.

I did not like the art after all. Happy Booth is gone after this. Probably the worst issue of this run.

Yeah, it's probably the worst thing Hickman has written with the X-Men. Hopefully it will be a stumble with the artist and after this we will return to the previous quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    This issue was very boring. The problem presented was solved by the end in a simple fight where Cyclops got jobbed and Jean forgot she had telekinesis. It all happened so that Xandra has a "debt" with Storm, which was very random. She did nothing special.

I did not like the art after all. Happy Booth is gone after this. Probably the worst issue of this run.
    The gag is she is wearing the costume when she notoriously did not have access to her TP but had TK

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I enjoyed it.

It was nice touching base with the Shi'ar again, and seeing Berto and Sam, and I do enjoy Hickman's Ororo.

However, I didn't care for the art at all. Way too dated, and does not fit with what the flagship X-book should have. I enjoy Hickman's Jean.... when she's not in combat. Jean's interaction with the Shi'ar was great IMO, but the minute she steps foot into combat it all goes out the window. I'm still hoping Hickman will do better in the future.

I just wish Jean would acknowledge that her entire family was wiped out due to a Shi’ar kill order. ��

I'm just going to say this Urr looks flat out amazing I loved everything about his design.

lol and Sunspot and Deathbird already being a thing that's cool. I wonder if we will see her kids or not.

Also I'm a little disappointed we didn't see Kid Gladiator or Warbird running around helping.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The writing was not especially bad, the problem is that in this issue not much happens. And that villain looks straight out of the 90s. I guess he would be a tribute with Brooth but I'm not very interested in homage to the 90s.
    By the summary this issue sounds a bit like a by the numbers introduction issue to me. The type you get when a new title starts or a new writer beginns their run on. Basicly a one-shot where everyone has their moments to shine and show their powers without setting up the main plot for the book up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    By the summary this issue sounds a bit like a by the numbers introduction issue to me. The type you get when a new title starts or a new writer beginns their run on. Basicly a one-shot where everyone has their moments to shine and show their powers without setting up the main plot for the book up yet.
    there wasnt much for me to write bc it really was rather basic

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knowmadic View Post
    I just wish Jean would acknowledge that her entire family was wiped out due to a Shi’ar kill order. ��
    Didn't she already do that since she and Teen Jean are the same person?
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Kallark was not in the comic and that small panel at the very beginning that didn't even focus on him don't count.

BANNED

I do enjoy the 90's villain tho.