Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Was there ever a time you felt the DC comics Universe was in harmony? What I mean by this is several.

A time of consistency, several months or years even of no major changes/reboots/retcons or even company wide "things will never be the same" events.
    It’s hilarious to me that a bunch of people are saying Post Crisis was this. Just proves that whenever you started reading comics is the peak of comics lmao.

I mean Superman sure as hell was not consistent or free from retcons/reboots. Johns did a massive retcon to Emerald Twilight with a “nothing will ever be the same again!” minievent with GL Rebirth to kick off his run. The Titans were full of changes, Kon became Conner and got a whole new backstory, Tim lost his dad and became yet another moody dark orphan under Bruce’s care, there were tons of events that made things darker and edgier like Identity Crisis, you had Bart getting aged up and being the Flash before being unceremoniously killed off. Morrison did some major changes to the Batman franchise that went against the established “gritty and realistic” vibe from the Rucka & Brubaker era.

Remember when Bludhaven got nuked via Chemo?

The truth is that there has never been a time when DC was free from events or massive retcons, and the same is true for Marvel (remember when Stan called Bruce Banner “Bob” and then retconned his name as Robert Bruce Banner to cover his ass?).

Pre-Flashpoint.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s hilarious to me that a bunch of people are saying Post Crisis was this. Just proves that whenever you started reading comics is the peak of comics lmao..
    Not to mention COIE is entirely built on the premise of combining universes and saying all the history and stories are intact...except for when they weren't.

"DC's history and legacy is important! Just ignore the big Kara shaped hole in the mythos!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The quality and cohesion of the DC Universe had been in a donward spiral since maybe the resurrection of Oliver Queen, which signaled DC favoring Silver Age nostalgia and cheap sales stunts over storytelling and progress.
    This is like saying that resurrecting Bruce or Clark is DC favoring Silver Age nostalgia. Oliver is almost as old as Batman and Superman, golden age characters, and as far as I can tell, Connor Hawke wasn't setting the world on fire the way Wally and Kyle arguably did.

Also, DC started resorting to cheap stunts a long before Oliver was brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I felt that way from 1986 to 2011.
    Really? With Hawkworld? Emerald Twilight? Harpoon-hand Aquaman? Those are pretty major changes - and not the only ones in the era.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Pre-Flashpoint.

This is when the DC universe felt connected, there were legacy characters graduating, and it all felt cohesive.

But the most important thing during this time is that there wasn't a need to do giant continuity shaking stories every couple of years.

I guess I’m a little thrown off by the question. If you take all the components of the original post, I don’t know if DC can ever really claim cohesion? If you take out the “things will never be the same!” events, which I think you can have and still retain a cohesive, shared universe, I think post-Crisis is the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Post Crisis, so ... 1986? By the time Armageddon 2001 and Zero Hour came around it started getting all wonky again.
    I'll cosign this one.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

But would you say the major crisis events of the 00's through a wrench in the "harmony"? Or was it done well enough?
    There was a lot of decisions made by DC in the 2000s that hurt the DC Universe. The resurrections of Barry Allen, Oliver Queen, Hal Jordan, Jason Todd and Ice made the universe seem like it was stagnating rather than progressing. And in general there were plenty of bad storylines such as, Countdown, the "death" of Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain turning evil, but I feel like there was enough good material to consider it a good decade from DC, just far less stellar than the 80s and 90s, but much better than the 2010s.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I felt that way from 1986 to 2011.
    I was about to reply "Zero Hour" and the surrounding years (followed by a long-winded defense ), but I'll piggyback on your much more succinct reply instead.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

1986-1994, myself.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

That brief moment right after Hawkman was resurrected in JSA, but before Hippolyta died in Our Worlds at War.

Edit: Damn, that’s right before 9/11 happened.

I felt like everything was perfect just before 2011. I was eager to learn and "live" in that pre-N52 universe for a long time but all of a sudden everything changed. It was planed since early 2000s so what can you do...
    At least there's the option to buy back issues of your favorite era

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Was there ever a time you felt the DC comics Universe was in harmony? What I mean by this is several things.

A time of consistency, several months or years even of no major changes/reboots/retcons or even company wide "things will never be the same" events.

Both major characters and smaller, yet great, characters were all accounted for. None of this "hey where has xxxxx been?", its been xx years since we've even seen them.

Good editorial staff, minimizing contradictory plot lines across titles.

Basically a time you felt there was a cohesive and consistent shared comics universe
    I'd say from 98 to 03.

But of course, it was not 100% flowers either, just more cohesive than average.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Pre-2011.

Yes it wasn't perfect. Yes it had it's flaws. I think they went too far in trying to bring back the Silver/Bronze Age in the 00's but there is still a sense of history, continuity, character relationships and growth built over decades of hard work by writers and artists and all of that got wiped away by a reboot/not reboot and the DCU hasn't been on an even keel since. s