Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default I may have an addiction...

Last night, or this morning, I was looking at my phone and checking my order history in my Amazon and eBay apps as well as this one page I have open in my browser that’s saved on a current usps tracking. I realized I had just gotten all the packages I had waited for recently, but something was off. I felt like I needed another to arrive. And I came to the realization there hasn’t been more than a few days or week that I didn’t have something pending to show up. Could be a big purchase from Instocktrades, could be one from eBay, maybe smaller, maybe not. Could be something from Amazon... and I buy a ton of **** on Amazon, not all of it is comic book related. Most of it probably isn’t really.
    But the rest of my packages, they are definitely comic book related. I buy lots from eBay (collections of collections), and all the other places. And my book shelf is packed right now. I know I need a new one but I don’t really have the space in my place. But my stock just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I have **** that’s been waiting years to be read at this point. There is a word, tsundoku, it’s a need to collect more and more books. How are you with all this?
    I also have tons of non-fiction books and some regular prose fiction.

I used to have this "collect everything" mentality and the solution was to just decide not to care anymore.
    After a few years of pretty heavy buying I've realized that
    a. I don't have time to read everything
    b. most of the books are actually not really that good

So I've sold a big chunk of my collection, still wanting to sell more, and only buying a few books whenever I feel like it (it feels much better than getting 10-20 books a month). Started reading digitally and I don't follow superhero comics any more (I've read them for almost 3 decades and it was more than enough ) except for 2 titles currently but I just catch up on them occasionally.
    Also I've stopped taking pics of my hauls and I won't start collecting longer series (there can be exceptions of course but I used to just jump in to whatever I fancied). If I ever feel FOMO I know it's time to take a step back (also after years of collecting you kinda realize FOMO is pointless, everything gets reprinted eventually or pops up online for a reasonable price).

I often sound very flippant about comics but I think I never head a healthier relationship with the medium before. I mostly just buy indie titles and read them straight away or as soon as I can.
    I buy other things tho (mainly blu-rays, some art books recently cause I do art) and I very much understand the psychological aspect of retail therapy (especially during these times) but taking a break and setting new, tighter boundaries for your hobby can actually make things more enjoyable sometimes.

I do have a bit of a problem with the have to have it. When I got my Switch I got all kinds of games over the next few months. They have a tone of indy titles. I now have like 31 games and really only play 5 of them.

I go to the comic store and get a good amount of new comics even thought I really love the older stuff. i do this with the idea that i will get to them down the line but not too much of the new stuff has been read.

I have a Kindle and I got a lot of books on that.

I also get a lot of action figures. I really love collecting and displaying them on my shelves.

A lot of it is impulse buys. Like yesterday I was having a rough day and went to Walmart and dropped 40 bucks on The Prowler and Frog Man figures. Didnt need them but they made me feel better at the time.

So yea i kind of collect stuff a lot. I am trying to get better.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I have the same problem, for the most part. I go through phases where I just can't take the lack of space/organization, and I'll go on a buying freeze for a few months. During that time I try to purge some things - floppies I have duplicate copies of, floppies I have collected in other formats, collections that I have more recent printings of, etc.

However as soon as I see a good online sale, I start shopping again. At first it's to "fill in gaps", but then I'll find a great set of something for cheap on eBay, but if it's missing a few issues then I have to start hunting for *those* gaps... and before you know it I'm back to square one!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I’m surprised there isn’t a T.V. show about this addiction.Relating to pop culture collections that have gone mad.
    I’m talking about toys,video games,comics collections,statues,records.etc.it’s like being a hoarder,no room but we keep on buying.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I used to have this "collect everything" mentality and the solution was to just decide not to care anymore.
    After a few years of pretty heavy buying I've realized that
    a. I don't have time to read everything
    b. most of the books are actually not really that good

So I've sold a big chunk of my collection, still wanting to sell more, and only buying a few books whenever I feel like it (it feels much better than getting 10-20 books a month). Started reading digitally and I don't follow superhero comics any more (I've read them for almost 3 decades and it was more than enough ) except for 2 titles currently but I just catch up on them occasionally.
    Also I've stopped taking pics of my hauls and I won't start collecting longer series (there can be exceptions of course but I used to just jump in to whatever I fancied). If I ever feel FOMO I know it's time to take a step back (also after years of collecting you kinda realize FOMO is pointless, everything gets reprinted eventually or pops up online for a reasonable price).

I often sound very flippant about comics but I think I never head a healthier relationship with the medium before. I mostly just buy indie titles and read them straight away or as soon as I can.
    I buy other things tho (mainly blu-rays, some art books recently cause I do art) and I very much understand the psychological aspect of retail therapy (especially during these times) but taking a break and setting new, tighter boundaries for your hobby can actually make things more enjoyable sometimes.
    I would say it’s definitely having something to do with retail therapy. There’s also some FOMO in there as well. Some titles get hard to find and expensive if you don’t get them when they come out so I’ll get them relatively new to not miss out later on. But you can certainly get complete collections later on through eBay, it’s just not as secure as buying as some stuff comes out.
    Reading digital does help. I recently got onboard with Marvel Unlimited to catch up on old stuff I had never read, and I’m using ComiXology to buy some stuff when they have deals. I rarely buy full price. I imagine the deal aspect is one thing that keeps the buying exciting. Also finding something rare.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I do have a bit of a problem with the have to have it. When I got my Switch I got all kinds of games over the next few months. They have a tone of indy titles. I now have like 31 games and really only play 5 of them.

I go to the comic store and get a good amount of new comics even thought I really love the older stuff. i do this with the idea that i will get to them down the line but not too much of the new stuff has been read.

I have a Kindle and I got a lot of books on that.

I also get a lot of action figures. I really love collecting and displaying them on my shelves.

A lot of it is impulse buys. Like yesterday I was having a rough day and went to Walmart and dropped 40 bucks on The Prowler and Frog Man figures. Didnt need them but they made me feel better at the time.

So yea i kind of collect stuff a lot. I am trying to get better.
    I read into this that you’re a bit of a completionist with the games, which is how I am with a set of books. I’m glad I haven’t gotten into figures myself! That could get ridiculous! I’ve seen some crazy collections.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I have the same problem, for the most part. I go through phases where I just can't take the lack of space/organization, and I'll go on a buying freeze for a few months. During that time I try to purge some things - floppies I have duplicate copies of, floppies I have collected in other formats, collections that I have more recent printings of, etc.

However as soon as I see a good online sale, I start shopping again. At first it's to "fill in gaps", but then I'll find a great set of something for cheap on eBay, but if it's missing a few issues then I have to start hunting for *those* gaps... and before you know it I'm back to square one!
    Oh man... I’m glad I haven’t gone after floppies! I’m just after trades usually! But I almost went down that whole with The Silver Surfer a few years ago. There aren’t too many issues and I somehow ran into a couple large collections, one gifted to me and one bought to “fill in gaps”.

Quote Originally Posted by bob fett View Post
    I’m surprised there isn’t a T.V. show about this addiction.Relating to pop culture collections that have gone mad.
    I’m talking about toys,video games,comics collections,statues,records.etc.it’s like being a hoarder,no room but we keep on buying.
    Real Life: I’m a comic book hoarder of a collector. I’d watch that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    ... And I came to the realization there hasn’t been more than a few days or week that I didn’t have something pending to show up. Could be a big purchase from Instocktrades, could be one from eBay, maybe smaller, maybe not. Could be something from Amazon... and I buy a ton of **** on Amazon, not all of it is comic book related. Most of it probably isn’t really.
    But the rest of my packages, they are definitely comic book related. I buy lots from eBay (collections of collections), and all the other places. And my book shelf is packed right now. I know I need a new one but I don’t really have the space in my place. But my stock just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I have **** that’s been waiting years to be read at this point. There is a word, tsundoku, it’s a need to collect more and more books. How are you with all this?
    I also have tons of non-fiction books and some regular prose fiction.

This is 100% me. I have collections from 3-4 years ago still shrinkwrapped. What do you guys suppose i could get for the Gillen Vader omni, Secret Warriors omni, JMS Thor omni, or Busiek Avengers omni???

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    This is 100% me. I have collections from 3-4 years ago still shrinkwrapped. What do you guys suppose i could get for the Gillen Vader omni, Secret Warriors omni, JMS Thor omni, or Busiek Avengers omni???
    Haven’t gotten myself into that omnibus world either! Damn, I’m not doing so bad!

Also wanted to say, these Covid caused shipment delays have been a real pain in the ass. Obviously that is a hugely complicated process and the world is adjusting the best it can, but ****. First world problem for sure.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Also wanted to say, these Covid caused shipment delays have been a real pain in the ass. Obviously that is a hugely complicated process and the world is adjusting the best it can, but ****. First world problem for sure.
    I've found that the anxiety caused by Covid delays can be temporarily alleviated with more shopping.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

My name is Sebastian and I'm a hoarder. Is there coffee and doughnuts in our church basement?

I buy way more comic book collected editions than I can keep up with reading. In other words - my rate of purchases is far higher than my rate of reading. One of the reasons is that I want to buy collected editions before they become OOP; if OOP wasn't an issue I would just buy at a "normal" rate.
    But hey, I don't spend money in drinking, smoking, I have no other pricey addictions (I buy video games, board games but not at an alarming rate) and I don't have money problems, so...
    My only problem is space!