Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I buy way more comic book collected editions than I can keep up with reading. In other words - my rate of purchases is far higher than my rate of reading. One of the reasons is that I want to buy collected editions before they become OOP; if OOP wasn't an issue I would just buy at a "normal" rate.
    But hey, I don't spend money in drinking, smoking, I have no other pricey addictions (I buy video games, board games but not at an alarming rate) and I don't have money problems, so...
    My only problem is space!
    Space has definitely become my biggest issue, and no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get ahead of it.

I too blame scarcity sometimes. There were a few books that I screwed myself over on by waiting (like, 10 yrs ago) and my knee-jerk reaction was to pre-order *everything*, even if my interest was minimal. Cuz, ya know, just in case. I kept that up for way too long, and to this day I fight that urge every time I scroll through solicits!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Space has definitely become my biggest issue, and no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get ahead of it.

I too blame scarcity sometimes. There were a few books that I screwed myself over on by waiting (like, 10 yrs ago) and my knee-jerk reaction was to pre-order *everything*, even if my interest was minimal. Cuz, ya know, just in case. I kept that up for way to long, and to this day I fight that urge every time I scroll through solicits!
    Dude, scarcity is the true enemy of a collector.

I wouldn't feel the need to buy omnis up right away if books didn't go out of print so quickly.

I try to fight it by asking myself if a collection is causing me stress.

Meaning will it be stressful finding storage, will it be stressful finding a copy, will it be stressful on my wallet.

If I answer yes to any of of those I pass.

Because ultimately 9 times out of 10 if I really loved a book or a run I already own it in some other form.

Stay mentally healthy my friends.

I buy way more comic book collected editions than I can keep up with reading. In other words - my rate of purchases is far higher than my rate of reading. One of the reasons is that I want to buy collected editions before they become OOP; if OOP wasn't an issue I would just buy at a "normal" rate.
    This. Oh so much this. It's all about FOMO.

But hey, I don't spend money in drinking, smoking, I have no other pricey addictions (I buy video games, board games but not at an alarming rate) and I don't have money problems, so...
    My only problem is space!
    So. Much. THIS.

Though I've made a spreadsheet with the remaining books in series I've already started, and that's all I plan to get until I've finished them. No new stuff. Lots of great reading ahead of me!

Quote Originally Posted by thecoffeeman View Post
    So. Much. THIS.

Though I've made a spreadsheet with the remaining books in series I've already started, and that's all I plan to get until I've finished them. No new stuff. Lots of great reading ahead of me!

Spreadsheets! Now that’s a whole other level!

Totally agree with the OOP situation. If these omnis didn't disappear so fast I'd spread my purchases out more. But with so much stuff coming out and not wanting to miss my want-list, the books pile up fast. I'm just glad I'm not into more titles than I already am.

This thread inspired me to sell some books, I need to concentrate my purchases more to my favourite series and must-haves.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    This thread inspired me to sell some books, I need to concentrate my purchases more to my favourite series and must-haves.
    Same here!

I spent about 3 hours yesterday going through boxes/shelves, and pulled out 22 TPB's that I either had two copies of, or had upgraded to HC/omni. I considered posting them on eBay, but couldn't bring myself to spend all that time snapping pics, uploading them, writing descriptions, and basically jumping through all the hoops eBay has in place for sellers. Not to mention finding/purchasing packing material and making trips to the post office. So I decided to take them to a local used book store.

The cover price value of the books was about $400... I got a whopping $60 for the whole lot!

I definitely could have made more on eBay, but the time (and shelf space!) recovered was worth it in the long run.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Ever tried selling on Facebook? Much easier than Ebay.

My main problem is getting the packing material, packing them up (cause you can't just chuck them in a box and call it a day like amazon does), booking shipping, negotiating with people (the main downside of Facebook).
    Too much hustle and time and they are also heavy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Ever tried selling on Facebook? Much easier than Ebay.

My main problem is getting the packing material, packing them up (cause you can't just chuck them in a box and call it a day like amazon does), booking shipping, negotiating with people (the main downside of Facebook).
    Too much hustle and time and they are also heavy as hell.
    No, I haven't tried FB. I'll check it out.

But yeah, ain't no one getting rich selling comics on eBay. I've lost count of how many times I've parted with stuff that I'd seen sell for much more, just because I was tired of dealing with it. And "our people" do not hesitate to leave negative feedback for a dinged corner, so perfect packing is a must.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

No, I haven't tried FB. I'll check it out.

But yeah, ain't no one getting rich selling comics on eBay. I've lost count of how many times I've parted with stuff that I'd seen sell for much more, just because I was tired of dealing with it. And "our people" do not hesitate to leave negative feedback for a dinged corner, so perfect packing is a must.
    just have to find the right group on FB. For Americans the Omnibus collector's group is a good one but you can't sell over cover. It takes time to get in now cause there are loads of members but from what I've heard about other groups it's probably one of the friendliest comic book groups on FB (I'm only in one other group for UK and European members).

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    just have to find the right group on FB. For Americans the Omnibus collector's group is a good one but you can't sell over cover. It takes time to get in now cause there are loads of members but from what I've heard about other groups it's probably one of the friendliest comic book groups on FB (I'm only in one other group for UK and European members).
    I've heard of this group on other boards, but since I'm relatively inactive in FB anyway it always slips my mind. But now that I'm trying to get serious about thinning my collection I'll actually check it out this time.

Considering I've paid cover price for maaaaybe 20% of my books, I don't ever list anything for over cover on eBay. If it's readily available I ask for the lowest price I'd part with it (usually 50% off cover, what I pay through IST/DCBS), or it it's OOP I'll post a "Buy It Now" listing for cover price.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    This is 100% me. I have collections from 3-4 years ago still shrinkwrapped. What do you guys suppose i could get for the Gillen Vader omni, Secret Warriors omni, JMS Thor omni, or Busiek Avengers omni???
    I wish I hadn't hold out on the Vader omni. But at the time I made choiches what and what not to buy. You can't, and I won't, buy everything.

Same here!

I spent about 3 hours yesterday going through boxes/shelves, and pulled out 22 TPB's that I either had two copies of, or had upgraded to HC/omni...

The cover price value of the books was about $400... I got a whopping $60 for the whole lot!
    Selling 22 books that quickly is very well done though. I took every book, less than 30, I didn't love or intend to keep and figured out what to do with them.

I had a family member who wanted some, so I'm just gifting them as their next present. I sold €250 worth to a friend and I just sold another €600 worth (after fees) on eBay.

It definitely helps with space and I feel less stress or guilt about a big collection where I don't love every book.

Also, the fact that we all seem to have the same "buy before it goes OOP" mentality is also somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because we definitely help with that OOP process
    Last edited by hyped78; 02-02-2021 at 04:35 AM.