Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Also, the fact that we also seem to have the same "buy before it goes OOP" mentality is also somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because we definitely help with that OOP process
    Damn you, and damn your logic!

Hahahaha!

There's some interesting posts here and some that I can appreciate, I'm a collector from way back 40 odd years but always on a budget. I have one golden rule and that is to buy what I like and want nothing else counts, as for pricing if I were to sell anything again my other rule is to sell what I paid for them in the first place. Yes I've seen overpriced books but won't buy and will wait. As for the omnibus titles I only collect silver age Marvel and golden age Batman plus a few bronze horror titles, they make me happy. As for Ebay it is both a curse and a blessing yes I love the deliveries but on the other hand it took the fun out of the hunt. I had written hundreds of letters pre-internet and must confess I enjoyed that more. Don't let your hobby become a habit!!!!!
    Hail Hydra!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Don't let your hobby become a habit!!!!!
    Wise words! I've gone through several funks over the years where my collecting/reading has felt like just another chore on a checklist. That's usually when I have to step back, purge a bit of my collection, and clean up my pull list.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

It really depends. I don't do that with floppies anymore. Only buy what I will DEFINITELY read.

With Omnis and such... As long as they are in NM condition, it doesn't hurt to hoard them If I don't read them after a few years I just re-sell them, sometimes with profit, on ebay. Not necessarily saying it's an investment, but at least you'll very probably find a buyer if you don't want to own it anymore.

Same goes for Epics/thick paperbacks, but def. less so compared to Omnis. They are basically the only value buy you can do in the current comic market.

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Don't let your hobby become a habit!!!!!
    Great advice!

That's a great rule of thumb for any hobby.

If you were to say that to me a couple of years ago, I would've said I thought hobbies were things we were supposed to obsess over; but now I know hobbies can become a vortex that can pull you into addiction if you don't have barriers in place.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Real Life: I’m a comic book hoarder of a collector. I’d watch that.
    imin.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    This thread inspired me to sell some books, I need to concentrate my purchases more to my favourite series and must-haves.
    I have been seriously considering selling off alot of floppies of my collection, and only keeping those titles/stories I really enjoy. Of course, I would probably just use any money to fill gaps or have some runs bound.... but I'd have more space!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I definitely need to get rid of extra trades and floppies I will never read. MyComicShop.com will buy collections but shipping sounds impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I definitely need to get rid of extra trades and floppies I will never read. MyComicShop.com will buy collections but shipping sounds impossible.
    If you have complete collections, eBay can work. I myself prefer to buy them and sell them complete. Sometimes I’ll track down a missing piece just to make the collection more attractive. Make your starting bid the lowest you’ll go and set up a buy it now for at least 30% more. Be as reasonable as you can in pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    If you have complete collections, eBay can work. I myself prefer to buy them and sell them complete. Sometimes I’ll track down a missing piece just to make the collection more attractive. Make your starting bid the lowest you’ll go and set up a buy it now for at least 30% more. Be as reasonable as you can in pricing.
    I did this a couple of years ago with my old trades and omnis.

What I did was bundle them and said that if a single buyer buys multiple books I would combine shipping and knockoff an extra 10% and I pretty much sold it all within 3 weeks.

If you get creative you can shed the extra books pretty quickly without losing money.

Quote Originally Posted by csmith25 View Post
    ... Of course, I would probably just use any money to fill gaps or have some runs bound....
    Custom binding, another vice I picked up on here.
    I'll never get the urge to sell them though.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Custom binding, another vice I picked up on here.
    I'll never get the urge to sell them though.
    I was always interested in this, but that is a pandora's box that I know would awaken something in me

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I was always interested in this, but that is a pandora's box that I know would awaken something in me
    That's another bug that bit me for a minute! I only had about 5-6 custom binds done, but the whole process is time consuming and expensive! Had I unlimited funds, I'd probably still be binding all of my back issues.

If you can spare the cash however, I do recommend it. It really was a satisfying project to be able to map your own content, artwork, tables of contents, etc.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

This binding sounds pretty cool. Speak no more of it!

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    That's another bug that bit me for a minute! I only had about 5-6 custom binds done, but the whole process is time consuming and expensive! Had I unlimited funds, I'd probably still be binding all of my back issues.

If you can spare the cash however, I do recommend it. It really was a satisfying project to be able to map your own content, artwork, tables of contents, etc.
    It is way too tempting and if I ever fell to it I know for a FACT my home would eventually be built by custom omni bricks; so instead I ogle other's custom works on the internet like a total creep (I sometimes even wear a trench coat)