Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    What?! No Bishop's Crossing??!? Might I ask why? There's some quality stuff in that book!

Don't worry, I'd never try to sell anyone on Austen's run...
    Well Bishop's Crossing HC was that weird phase just after Claremont where UXM was trying to find its footing, right? Like I think Byrne wrote some and the artists were listed as co-plotters, am I remembering that correctly? At least the 1991 X-men book had Lee's art while the new writer was easing in. Also, not a fan of Portacio art.

The arbitrary vagaries of fanboys...

Regardless, do Shattershot and Skinning really just have the same issues mostly? What about X-men 12-16? I think Claremont omni 2 ends at 11 and then Skinning starts at 17.

Incredible Member

Lobdell really did great character stuff around Fatal Attractions (I think UXM 300-304?), with Romita art. I love his run alongside Nicieza and Waid. Also love Nicieza's Gambit series that ran for 24 issues.

Incredible Member

Next two Tuesdays are gonna be anxiety-inducing as hell, with UXM v4 and Claremont v2 dropping.

Yes, I have an addiction.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Well Bishop's Crossing HC was that weird phase just after Claremont where UXM was trying to find its footing, right? Like I think Byrne wrote some and the artists were listed as co-plotters, am I remembering that correctly? At least the 1991 X-men book had Lee's art while the new writer was easing in. Also, not a fan of Portacio art.

Regardless, do Shattershot and Skinning really just have the same issues mostly? What about X-men 12-16? I think Claremont omni 2 ends at 11 and then Skinning starts at 17.
    X-Men #12-13 are collected in Bishop's Crossing. And yes, the first few issues do credit Portacio along with Lobdell as co-plotter. I agree about Portacio's art; at the time it looked like a super sloppy imitation of what Lee was doing in the sister book, but I came to appreciate the stories. Great stuff if you're a Colossus or Archangel fan.

X-Men #14-16 are collected in X-Cutioner's Song . And yes, #17-24 are in both the Skinning of Souls TPB and the Shattershot OHC. That last one also gives you some annuals and the Survival Guide to the Mansion one-shot.

As they've slowly filled in the gaps, I've been getting rid of my single issues for space reasons, and it's been like pulling teeth! I have to argue with myself why I don't need multiple copies of #20 just because I love the cover and Revanche is the sh!t... *eyeroll*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

I believe X-Men #12-13 are the only orphans at this point, as #14-16 are collected in X-Cutioner's Song . And yes, #17-24 are in both the Skinning of Souls TPB and the Shattershot OHC. That last one also gives you some annuals and the Survival Guide to the Mansion one-shot.

As they've slowly filled in the gaps, I've been getting rid of my single issues for space reasons, and it's been like pulling teeth! I have to argue with myself why I don't need multiple copies of #20 just because I love the cover and Revanche is the sh!t... *eyeroll*
    Revanche was never the ****. Search your feelings. You know it to be true haha

Are X-men 62-64 collected? The Pacheco Shang-chi issues.
    Last edited by newparisian; 02-11-2021 at 01:36 PM.

^ ^ ^

See edited post. I had to grab my copy to confirm, but I was wrong about #12-13 being orphans.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

X-Men #12-13 are collected in Bishop's Crossing. And yes, the first few issues do credit Portacio along with Lobdell as co-plotter. I agree about Portacio's art; at the time it looked like a super sloppy imitation of what Lee was doing in the sister book, but I came to appreciate the stories. Great stuff if you're a Colossus or Archangel fan.

X-Men #14-16 are collected in X-Cutioner's Song . And yes, #17-24 are in both the Skinning of Souls TPB and the Shattershot OHC. That last one also gives you some annuals and the Survival Guide to the Mansion one-shot.

Ah thanks for the info. X-Cutioners milestone edition was one of my purchases today.

Bishop's Crossing was an okay story. But I agree that Portactio's art is subpar, especially compared to guys like Jim Lee and Mark Silvestri who drew X-Men around the same time as he did.

Lobdell really did great character stuff around Fatal Attractions (I think UXM 300-304?), with Romita art. I love his run alongside Nicieza and Waid. Also love Nicieza's Gambit series that ran for 24 issues.
    Man, JRjr's art is really overrated. I hate how he's been a stable of Marvel since the 80's and has been an artist on pretty much every single damn book I've ever cared for. I know he has his fans, but I've never understood why. Fatal Attractions suffered from his art (among other things), but the payoff was great.

Are X-men 62-64 collected? The Pacheco Shang-chi issues.
    That horrible story with Kingpin? Yeah, it's collected in The Trial of Gambit TPB. I read it last week myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Man, JRjr's art is really overrated. I hate how he's been a stable of Marvel since the 80's and has been an artist on pretty much every single damn book I've ever cared for. I know he has his fans, but I've never understood why. Fatal Attractions suffered from his art (among other things), but the payoff was great.
    Marvel finally shunted him off to DC, so we've had to deal with him scribbling through the last two years of Action Comics...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

Bishop's Crossing was an okay story. But I agree that Portactio's art is subpar, especially compared to guys like Jim Lee and Mark Silvestri who drew X-Men around the same time as he did.

I've always liked JRJr. His work on JMS' Spidey is a bit more limber compared to his Nocenti DD or X-men which is super blocky.

Incredible Member

That horrible story with Kingpin? Yeah, it's collected in The Trial of Gambit TPB. I read it last week myself.
    It was anti-climactic for sure, but i wouldn't say it was bad. The art is amazing! And the X-men going against a non-X villain was fresh. Shang-Chi vs Logan was nice too.

Edit: and I do have Trial of Gambit so yay.

Edit 2: I'm surprised they included 62-64 when Gambit isn't even in that. What about #61 which is where he first came back, post Antarctica?
    Last edited by newparisian; 02-11-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Incredible Member

Marvel finally shunted him off to DC, so we've had to deal with him scribbling through the last two years of Action Comics...
    Yeah Action has been not the best, though I chalk that down more to Bendis.

I’ve been reading Claremont’s X-Men for the first time, through Marvel Unlimited, and damn it’s been hard to not go and look for collected editions of it. And it’s not like there aren’t many options. But the reason I bring this up, is I’m right now at the Jr Jr issues. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Part of me loves the Daredevil and Iron Man stuff he did as well as his time on Spidey, but at times I can’t stand his extreme line work. Like, why are there so many lines in your drawings, pal?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Just dropped about $500 to plug holes in my Claremont X-run, via hardbacks and the milestones series. Only things missing are Inferno prologue omni (coming later this year), and the hole that will hopefully be plugged by UXM omni v5 (194-209).

I've already had all this in digital for years. And I don't even like all the issues. But... the urge hit me.

I uhhh blame Trump. Yeah. That devil.
    But they have been releasing the Omnis, all you had to do was hold out a little bit longer!

You my friend truly have been afflicted with collectorism