Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I did the impossible after years of collecting Marvel.

I started collecting when I was 6 years young and bought everything "important" from Marvel until I reached 35. I sold everything except my Spider-Man collection. Even Claremont X-Men, ah...everything.

Why you ask? (or you don't ask, but I will tell you anyway) because I was realized there was no end in sight and that every character came back from the dead. That nothing ever changes. That made me sad and I deemed the story irrelevant at some point.

But I wouldn't want to give up reading so I spend all the money I got from selling for Image, Mirage, Dark Horse and so on. For creator owned stuff. My collection is now bigger than ever, but with more thought put into it. I even got some Marvels back, but only the good stuff and only in Trades or other format.

I try not to buy because I fear the FOMO, I try to buy out of joy and curiosity and instantly sell what I don't like.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    But they have been releasing the Omnis, all you had to do was hold out a little bit longer!

You my friend truly have been afflicted with collectorism
    Mock me all you want, fellow fanboy. But! How long of a gap was there between UXM omnis 2 and 3, and 3 and 4, or the reprints of Claremont/Lee 1 and 2? At that rate, UXM 5 may not come out for another 2-3 years. And sure, I could wait. A fine strategy. But! Starting with Mutant Massacre, UXM gets too crossover and tie-in happy. Too many books I have no interest in, gumming up the works. So I just went ahead and curated UXM the way I preferred. Those milestones collections really cut out the chaff. And those are all available now, so might as well get them. Beyond the possible UXM v5 collecting 194-209 and the Inferno prologue reprint, there will be nothing X related I want/like that I won't already own. Hence, ending this mad relay. But you ask, won't another series take its place, restarting collector-mania? No! 2021 will be it (as far as past collections go). I really have way too much stocked up that I need to get through and I've made a promise to myself... nay, an oath... that I'm going to cut wayyy back and just... Read!

Yes, that is the plan.
    Yes.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Mock me all you want, fellow fanboy. But! How long of a gap was there between UXM omnis 2 and 3, and 3 and 4, or the reprints of Claremont/Lee 1 and 2? At that rate, UXM 5 may not come out for another 2-3 years. And sure, I could wait. A fine strategy. But! Starting with Mutant Massacre, UXM gets too crossover and tie-in happy. Too many books I have no interest in, gumming up the works. So I just went ahead and curated UXM the way I preferred. Those milestones collections really cut out the chaff. And those are all available now, so might as well get them. Beyond the possible UXM v5 collecting 194-209 and the Inferno prologue reprint, there will be nothing X related I want/like that I won't already own. Hence, ending this mad relay. But you ask, won't another series take its place, restarting collector-mania? No! 2021 will be it (as far as past collections go). I really have way too much stocked up that I need to get through and I've made a promise to myself... nay, an oath... that I'm going to cut wayyy back and just... Read!

Yes, that is the plan.
    Yes.
    Your logic is sound, mon frčre and Marvel does take forever with the reprints I grant you that.

I wish that Marvel just reprint the X-Men Essential line again so we didn't have to jump through so many hoops to collect a seminal run.

However, you say you're done in 2021!? J'accuse! Oh, my beautiful baby boy I have been saying "in 2021 I'm done!"; "in 2020 I'm done!"; "in 2019 I'm done!"; "in 2018 I'm done!"; "in 2017 I'm done!"

Maybe once Hickman's run is over, I will finally be done. Then it will be announced that Hickman is going to write the Justice League and so it begins again!

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I did the impossible after years of collecting Marvel.

I started collecting when I was 6 years young and bought everything "important" from Marvel until I reached 35. I sold everything except my Spider-Man collection. Even Claremont X-Men, ah...everything.

Why you ask? (or you don't ask, but I will tell you anyway) because I was realized there was no end in sight and that every character came back from the dead. That nothing ever changes. That made me sad and I deemed the story irrelevant at some point.

But I wouldn't want to give up reading so I spend all the money I got from selling for Image, Mirage, Dark Horse and so on. For creator owned stuff. My collection is now bigger than ever, but with more thought put into it. I even got some Marvels back, but only the good stuff and only in Trades or other format.

I try not to buy because I fear the FOMO, I try to buy out of joy and curiosity and instantly sell what I don't like.
    I have been doing this for the past two years, I have been selling what I haven't touched for more than a two years and only keep what I will read within a year.

I also only follow writers now and stopped following characters.

It helps... a bit

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

I lol'd.

Waaay back in 2011 when some newfangled scheme called the "New 52" was about to rear its ugly head, I actually went so far as to close my pull box at the LCS. I still had some collections pre-ordered through DCBS that I was waiting on, but other than those I was all set to drop monthly comics for good!

Then serious FOMO kicked in (hanging out here and on Newsarama didn't help), and I scurried into the shop that fateful Wednesday and promptly re-opened my pull list. I now know I'm too weak to ever stop, and won't kid myself again...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    ^ ^ ^

I lol'd.

Waaay back in 2011 when some newfangled scheme called the "New 52" was about to rear its ugly head, I actually went so far as to close my pull box at the LCS. I still had some collections pre-ordered through DCBS that I was waiting on, but other than those I was all set to drop monthly comics for good!

Then serious FOMO kicked in (hanging out here and on Newsarama didn't help), and I scurried into the shop that fateful Wednesday and promptly re-opened my pull list. I now know I'm too weak to ever stop, and won't kid myself again...
    FOMO the eternal enemy of the wallet.

Currently I am only pulling Bat/Cat by King but I am utterly done with DC; who knows maybe they get their act together and they might reel me in.

With Marvel I am only pulling the entirety of the X-Men line and Aaron's Avengers; when those end I will say again "I am done" but I feel like it is becoming easier to be done because of the nature of comics now.

I don't know about you but I can see the machinations of corporate synergy behind the scenes and creators are strictly bound by IP rules, but who knows?

Maybe it will change, but until then "I am done! when Hickman's & Aaron's run are over.. and if they don't announce anything new with one of my favorite writers..."

Doesn’t this all just make you want to jump into creator owned stuff more? I will probably keep collecting Spidey, in trades, but I don’t think it will ever live up to my favorite stories again. But creator owned? I get floored still by new stuff. And I have to have them in my shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Doesn’t this all just make you want to jump into creator owned stuff more? I will probably keep collecting Spidey, in trades, but I don’t think it will ever live up to my favorite stories again. But creator owned? I get floored still by new stuff. And I have to have them in my shelf.
    Yeah totally, I've been leaning that way more and more; that is, until those creators start writing for the big TWO again

Yeah sucks when a series is started by a big writer and then gets left unfinished. I realize there are things I can’t fathom in the process but that doesn’t make it any less a disappointment to not be able to have a continuation or an end to a series.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Your logic is sound, mon frčre and Marvel does take forever with the reprints I grant you that.

I wish that Marvel just reprint the X-Men Essential line again so we didn't have to jump through so many hoops to collect a seminal run.

However, you say you're done in 2021!? J'accuse! Oh, my beautiful baby boy I have been saying "in 2021 I'm done!"; "in 2020 I'm done!"; "in 2019 I'm done!"; "in 2018 I'm done!"; "in 2017 I'm done!"

Maybe once Hickman's run is over, I will finally be done. Then it will be announced that Hickman is going to write the Justice League and so it begins again!

Going back to the Essentials line? Nah, once you get color, you can't go back to B&W. That's heresy.

re: being done; I meant trying to plug holes. Other than X-men, all other all-time favorites of mine are already in my collection.

... well, except Dixon's Nightwing. Should I buy those fat TPBs or wait for an omni? Hmm...

Incredible Member

^ ^ ^

I lol'd.

My current FOMO is Brubaker Cap. Vol 1 came out, vol 2 coming later in the year, but what about the omnis after that? Shall I grab the overpriced copies on Amazon or wait...???

Going back to the Essentials line? Nah, once you get color, you can't go back to B&W. That's heresy.

re: being done; I meant trying to plug holes. Other than X-men, all other all-time favorites of mine are already in my collection.

... well, except Dixon's Nightwing. Should I buy those fat TPBs or wait for an omni? Hmm...
    Without making any judgements, Dixon (while not on the level of EVS) is an outspoken political conservative, and was on the outs with many in editorial for awhile. I was honestly surprised they completed his Nightwing run - you'll notice they canceled his Robin and Birds of Prey lines.

That said, I'd definitely track down the TPB's before they go out of print. An omnibus any time soon is unlikely, imho.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

My current FOMO is Brubaker Cap. Vol 1 came out, vol 2 coming later in the year, but what about the omnis after that? Shall I grab the overpriced copies on Amazon or wait...???
    Wait for more reprints. It might take awhile, but this is practically an evergreen run at this point. It's been released in nearly every format, and then reprinted more than once. No need to drop crazy cash on these.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Incredible Member

Without making any judgements, Dixon (while not on the level of EVS) is an outspoken political conservative, and was on the outs with many in editorial for awhile. I was honestly surprised they completed his Nightwing run - you'll notice they canceled his Robin and Birds of Prey lines.

That said, I'd definitely track down the TPB's before they go out of print. An omnibus any time soon is unlikely, imho.
    Wait for more reprints. It might take awhile, but this is practically an evergreen run at this point. It's been released in nearly every format, and then reprinted more than once. No need to drop crazy cash on these.
    Alright. Noted.

I don't mind the black and white because of that beautiful line work by some of the greats; nevertheless, I totally understand.

I wish Marvel would simply reprint more often.

Dixon's Bat-Family work is my definite version of them and it's great. I have those fat TPBs I do hope that one day they release omnis for his work.

Also Brubaker's Cap will always be reprinted because of the MCU alone.