Thread: Excalibur #17

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Excalibur #17

Previous thread was opened too early, making a new one. Anyone read this?

Yes, was a big fan. For those complaining Coven Akkaba was forgotten, they are back this issue.

Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, and Rictor had less to do this issue again (though there were some solid Rictor moments), which continues to be a bit of a drawback (though I am hopeful for next issue).

I continue to like the "Can Captain Britain be a mutant?"/allegiances torn between Krakoa and Britain subplot that disappeared a bit before X of Swords but is back here. One of the stronger parts of the book to me.

Feeling good about the direction Tini is going with Betsy's character here, I think she has talked a lot in interviews about Betsy/Kwannon and how Betsy feels about her own body and I thought the set-up here for that was great, especially the idea that Btsy has only been with Warren in Kwannon's body.

Betsy stole yet another body and tried to fight with another Kwannon. LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Betsy stole yet another body and tried to fight with another Kwannon. LOL!
    Yup. She did.

Mighty Member

I was looking to tie up loose ends with Clan Akkaba, but now I wish they were gone. For me they don’t add anything to the book. So Britain is ok with mutants, but they’re ok with these witches?

Also why they trying to steal the lighthouse because the Braddocks are away. Is that a law in the UK. You can just take land if the owner isn’t around?

They should probably just call this book Captain Britain and keep it moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I was looking to tie up loose ends with Clan Akkaba, but now I wish they were gone. For me they don’t add anything to the book. So Britain is ok with mutants, but they’re ok with these witches?

Also why they trying to steal the lighthouse because the Braddocks are away. Is that a law in the UK. You can just take land if the owner isn’t around?
    I think the idea was the lighthouse is the one point of connection to Otherworld, which they see as a huge part of British cultural heritage, that is being occupied by another nation.

I think there is a law like this on UK, I saw it on TV news some time ago

Same. And this was like her apologizing to someone that she didn’t do anything to. Like let’s get the real thing already without any more apologies.
    Yes, stop wasting time

All-New Member

I just came to say... I REALLY enjoyed the last 2 issues. I felt like this issue felt both like Excalibur and the beginning of something legitimate for Betsy as Captain Britain. I hope that true fans of Betsy (not just ninja telepath) will give this new chapter post-Apocalypse a chance. I think a few of the people who claim to be Betsy fans are really fans of her 90’s image. Which is totally fine. But Betsy walking out of the water was a clear throw back to 80’s Betsy. Her trying to figure out if Warren was attracted to her in her own body, if he really loved her for who she is internally was impactful. I’m no apologist for the first issues of this run, but I do think we’ve seen a marked difference for the past 2 issues.

Gambit and Rogue had good showings this issue from a characterization perspective. I get being sad when your favorites aren’t the center of attention. I can see Rogue fans being sad she’s not in the limelight in this new era, but I can’t imagine a Rogue fan hating on a stealth solo given she had enormous character growth in one 10-15 years ago.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I liked this issue a lot more than most of the previous issues, but there were still things I didn't enjoy. I liked the Betsy, Warren, and Kwannon scenes and I thought Rictor was used well and characterized correctly (although I still hate the druid thing). I didn't enjoy Coven Akkaba, not happy they are back, and that opening scene was bad. How do they even know about the completely pointless Jamie-made Captains Britain? I'm also completely over the British government taking issue with Betsy as Captain, it bores me. I stopped reading the first run of Excalibur before Pete Wisdom showed up, are we supposed to dislike him? I'll be disappointed if the upcoming issues with Kwannon on the cover are actually the AU version we saw in this issue.

They should call it Captain Britian w/ teammates Captain Avalon and Meggan and Pixie and Banshee and Black Knight and get a new writer and send Rogue and Gambit back to Mr. and Mrs. X.

I was also peeved that it seems that Betsy will basically be apologizing to alt versions of Kwannon.

Since the one that returns at the end of this issue is probably Queen Betsy.

But I guess we'll see how this all goes down.

I don't know the specific laws in the UK, but most countries have laws against other governments or even corporations from other countries owning land in their country. So it might actually be a thing that Krakoa shouldn't be in control of this place

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    They should call it Captain Britian w/ teammates Captain Avalon and Meggan and Pixie and Banshee and Black Knight and get a new writer and send Rogue and Gambit back to Mr. and Mrs. X.

I was also peeved that it seems that Betsy will basically be apologizing to alt versions of Kwannon.

Since the one that returns at the end of this issue is probably Queen Betsy.

But I guess we'll see how this all goes down.
    The whole Betsy apologizing to alt Kwannon thing was so off to me. I'm personally in the camp that Betsy (the character, not the writers who introduced the race swap) has nothing to apologize for, so the whole thing felt like misplaced white guilt that wasn't actually helping the wronged party.