Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Excalibur #17

Default Excalibur #17

Previous thread was opened too early, making a new one. Anyone read this?

Yes, was a big fan. For those complaining Coven Akkaba was forgotten, they are back this issue.

Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, and Rictor had less to do this issue again (though there were some solid Rictor moments), which continues to be a bit of a drawback (though I am hopeful for next issue).

I continue to like the "Can Captain Britain be a mutant?"/allegiances torn between Krakoa and Britain subplot that disappeared a bit before X of Swords but is back here. One of the stronger parts of the book to me.

Feeling good about the direction Tini is going with Betsy's character here, I think she has talked a lot in interviews about Betsy/Kwannon and how Betsy feels about her own body and I thought the set-up here for that was great, especially the idea that Btsy has only been with Warren in Kwannon's body.

Betsy stole yet another body and tried to fight with another Kwannon. LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Betsy stole yet another body and tried to fight with another Kwannon. LOL!
    Yup. She did.

Mighty Member

I was looking to tie up loose ends with Clan Akkaba, but now I wish they were gone. For me they don’t add anything to the book. So Britain is ok with mutants, but they’re ok with these witches?

Also why they trying to steal the lighthouse because the Braddocks are away. Is that a law in the UK. You can just take land if the owner isn’t around?

They should probably just call this book Captain Britain and keep it moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I was looking to tie up loose ends with Clan Akkaba, but now I wish they were gone. For me they don’t add anything to the book. So Britain is ok with mutants, but they’re ok with these witches?

Also why they trying to steal the lighthouse because the Braddocks are away. Is that a law in the UK. You can just take land if the owner isn’t around?
    I think the idea was the lighthouse is the one point of connection to Otherworld, which they see as a huge part of British cultural heritage, that is being occupied by another nation.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I liked this issue a lot more than most of the previous issues, but there were still things I didn't enjoy. I liked the Betsy, Warren, and Kwannon scenes and I thought Rictor was used well and characterized correctly (although I still hate the druid thing). I didn't enjoy Coven Akkaba, not happy they are back, and that opening scene was bad. How do they even know about the completely pointless Jamie-made Captains Britain? I'm also completely over the British government taking issue with Betsy as Captain, it bores me. I stopped reading the first run of Excalibur before Pete Wisdom showed up, are we supposed to dislike him? I'll be disappointed if the upcoming issues with Kwannon on the cover are actually the AU version we saw in this issue.

They should call it Captain Britian w/ teammates Captain Avalon and Meggan and Pixie and Banshee and Black Knight and get a new writer and send Rogue and Gambit back to Mr. and Mrs. X.

I was also peeved that it seems that Betsy will basically be apologizing to alt versions of Kwannon.

Since the one that returns at the end of this issue is probably Queen Betsy.

But I guess we'll see how this all goes down.

I don't know the specific laws in the UK, but most countries have laws against other governments or even corporations from other countries owning land in their country. So it might actually be a thing that Krakoa shouldn't be in control of this place

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I don't know the specific laws in the UK, but most countries have laws against other governments or even corporations from other countries owning land in their country. So it might actually be a thing that Krakoa shouldn't be in control of this place
    Yeah but it’s Braddocks that own it. They’ve always owned it so Krakoa doesn’t mean a thing.

While I still don’t think ideas are well thought out, this issue wasn’t awful. I did like seeing Betsy and Kwannon together, though I wish it wasn’t an alt version. I guess we will see the real thing in a few issues.

We really need to stop giving things that were Betsy’s to Kwannon. Why does an AU Kwannon still have her power signature? We got to see Betsy fight a little.

So is this Betsy’s psyche just in the body of the Queen since Betsy was shattered? Will the queen be the invisible guest on Krakoa? Will she take up residence in Betsy’s clone body that Sinister made for Jamie? What’s happening with Betsy’s tea? I am hoping that this is our Betsy that showed up at the end because she was wearing a nightgown and now I think it could be the Queen.

Coven Akkaba needs to be ditched. They’re lame. Like that dude is waltzing into British intelligence agency with a damn cape on (Sinister look out!) it was way too Scooby Doo with Rictor and Jubes were calling out “Marianna!” Like they just figured out the mystery! Haha
    Last edited by Rnap22; 01-27-2021 at 05:51 PM.

I'd say I enjoyed reading this issue, it's storytelling is fluent (of course compared to some disastrous times from this book)

Though I don't like the way excalibur confronted with Akkaba. Like why don't the team decide a member to stay in the UK and watch the connection with the UK gov instead of depending on P. Wisdom?

I know it might be the process that making Wisdom a constant foreign aid but Ramy, Rogue and Lee just need more panels to do something...
    Last edited by WildR; 01-27-2021 at 05:54 PM.

I'm happy Betsy got some time to shine, but it was a little flat since she was just interacting with an alternate universe Kwannon.

The book is still skipping steps... not huge this time, but things like Rictor being captive one second and then back with his teammates after jumping from the A-story to the B-Story should not STILL be happening. Also, did Howard and To mistake Boom Boom's powers for Jubilee's? (I know Boomer counts backwards.) I don't recall Jubilee counting out her plasmoids.

Also, wasn't Pete resurrected once? Meaning he's been on Krakoa... or was that when the book diverged into two timelines?

All-New Member

This book is beyond frustrating. Although I like the cast it's not easy to commit to reading this storyline or whatever this is supposed to be. I wonder whether I should continue with Excalibur, when I find myself skipping half of the words because everything is kept vague while simultaneously repeating itself since issue #1. Coven Akkaba and this whole mutant magic disaster may be the most uninteresting introduction to the X-line ever since HoX started. Why should anyone care about anything in this disjointed mess of a book, when we have a beautiful variety of titles with every single one serving a clear purpose? Sweet baby jeebus, so this is my first post here, sorry - I'm usually not such a negative nelly.
    Last edited by Dennis; 01-27-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Can anyone really explain why Rogue and Gambit are still here? They were kinda forced along at the start bc Apocalypse and Rogue being in a coma but that was resolved early on. Exactly why have they remained on this team especially since Gambit has never wanted to be?