Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Excalibur #17

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

Loved this issue, especially the Warren/Betsy/Kwannon scenes. I think Betsy apologizing to AU Kwannon is her moving towards the right direction in the sense that she is probably preparing herself to confront the whole body swap mess with the actual Kwannon. I'm not as hateful about this being a Braddock-centric series than the other posters here, though. I figure since Betsy is currently Captain Britain of course the story is going to focus more on her and her family.

I REALLY hope that's our Betsy in the water and not QEIII.

I really enjoyed this issue, specially reading a second time where I skipped the Akkaba related pages. The twist with the reveal of Kwannon was great!

I think, like many, that it is a good appetizer to the real deal coming soon. I hope it is properly addressed.

I kind of wanted the issue to spend more time on Betsy in the alternate universe, maybe showcasing more how our Betsy is as capable as Kwannon in stealth missions. I think the infiltration should have been harder and we could have done it by spending less time with the Akkaba plot that felt very much like page filler.

I agree her TP bubbles should have been purple and Kwannon's another color but hey, they did look amazing together. Both fighting and using telepathy.

I still don't like the art though. Specially when Betsy looks worried (which is A LOT in this book as whole), because she looks kind of silly.

But hey, bring it on...now i want her to face real Warren and Kwannon with all she quickly faced here.

But I also agree with many of you that this book would make more sense going forward if the team was mainly the Braddock plus maybe Pete, Banshee, Black Knight and or Pixie
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Haha.. no that’s why I asked though. I didn’t know if you can just take over someone’s land if they don’t show up there. Coven Akkaba has no governmental right being there to take it over.
    The Braddocks are British citizens.
    Well, if its owned by the Braddock as part of of their duties to the British government, then if the Braddocks were to either disappear, all die, or do something seriously criminal like treason, the government (or its agents!) could legally seize it. If Akkaba were acting for the government then they might have a teeny tiny justification for showing up. But we know there are several Braddocks around that are just sort being ignored.

And again, this is just me coming at this like a law school test problem. It probably doesn't matter. Though they really do need to sort out the 'which government are they acting at the behest of?' thing

Spectacular Member

Enjoyable issue. Favorite part was seeing the alternate world and just how close yet different the two worlds were. I was glad to see Betsy had returned by the end of the issue as I am looking forward to moving the team into new stories and leaving the remnants of Sword of X behind as it doesn't really tie with this book. Though now after reading the boards I fear that though we got Betsy back it might not be OUR Betsy that was returned. Guess time will tell.

I don't mind the coven Akkaba all that much but mainly that is because I just imagine them as a mutant hate group like the Reavers and ignore the magic component.

The whole magic concept has never been properly explained in the beginning issues and so it still struggles as a whole now. It is then compounded by the loss of Apocalypse who was the main magic wielder. If they insist on continuing the mutant magic storyline than they need to recruit someone to the team that is familiar with mutant magic, perhaps someone from Arakoa. Once they have that, then they can begin building the team and training that team in the use of mutant magic. If the team that they have is in fact the correct one then please start creating stories that showcase that.

So alt Kwannon has Betsy's powers even without the bodyswap? It makes no freaking sense.

Spectacular Member

The Kwannon of our universe was a low level empath before the mind swap. Stands to reason that this alt version would also be a mutant even if her path never crossed with Betsy.

Learning to channel your mental power into a blade would be a useful trick for a mercenary and something that I could see the alt Kwannon taking the time to learn. Perhaps she learned it under the tutelage of that universe's Prof X, and was even a member of the X-men which would explain how she met Warren.
    Last edited by Basilisk; 01-27-2021 at 11:09 PM. Reason: rewording and correcting what I had typed

Quote Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
    The Kwannon of our universe was a low level empath before the mind swap. Stands to reason that this alt version would also be a mutant even if her path never crossed with Betsy.

Learning to channel your mental power into a blade would be a useful trick for a mercenary/ninja and something that I could see alt Kwannon have taken the time to learn. Perhaps she learned it under the tutelage of that universe's Prof X and was even an X-men which would explain when she meant Warren.
    If her path never crossed with Betsy then she should have her original powers of empathy instead of telepathy don't you think? And it's not just the knife she also has Betsy's butterfly.

Spectacular Member

Kwannon being able to channel a blade didn't bother me as that was not a power that Betsy had before the swap in our universe. Figured she was channeling her own mutant power and taking out the guards by overloading their senses emotionally.

However the butterfly image that was drawn around Kwannon in that one scene when they took out the guard and opened the door is an issue. It would have worked so much better if it the writer had switched them so that Kwannon was kicking the guard and Betsy was doing the mind control.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    If her path never crossed with Betsy then she should have her original powers of empathy instead of telepathy don't you think? And it's not just the knife she also has Betsy's butterfly.
    No one with psionic powers keeps their original set. They basically continue evolve until they are full fledged telepath/telekinetics.

Karma used to do only possession and now she is a full telepath. Do
    Basically, one way or another Kwannon was always going to be a full telepath.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    No one with psionic powers keeps their original set. They basically continue evolve until they are full fledged telepath/telekinetics
    Empath kept his

It's one thing to having for one to evolve his/her power. Having other people's power signature is another thing.

Marvel is trying too hard to make Kwannon to be the Psylocke-Betsy ever was instead of making her own version of Psylocke.

Garbage.
    Gambit, Rogue, Jubs and Pete can`t even win a fight without a big bad Apoc. It is just a humiliation.

"I hate to say it, but we might consider a tactical retreat. We don't have big bad Apocalypse around to help us win these fights."
    Last edited by Purplevit; 01-28-2021 at 01:28 AM.

Excalibur is by far my least favourite X Tittle. The art is terrible. All the character have the same face and it is childish and static. The characters are boring. With the exception of Rictor I couldn´t care less. Even Rogue and Gambit are lost here. All this Captain Britain Corps etc is just outdated. It had sense back in the 80s with Marvel UK but nowadays is just ridiculous. I guess some brexiteer will appreciate Marvel pretending all those imperial glories long gone. For the rest of world it is ridiculous and booooooring.
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I would go for a major cast change and make it a GB book once more.

Captain Britain (Betsy)
    Captain Avalon
    Black Knight
    Dark Angel (Shevaun Haldane), a very interesting character, look her up
    Wolfsbane
    Pixie
    Chamber
    Micromax

Support cast Meggan and baby Maggie, Monarch, Pete Wisdom
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Really starting to enjoy the book now Apocalypse is gone and we haven't had weird Shogo Dragon for a few issues.

Tini nails Betsy and the Braddock's personalities and the family dynamics.

Shame that Rictor, Gambit, Rogue & Jubilee are still hanging around not doing anything.

I only really care for Rogue & Rictor out of those 4, but can understand why fans of these characters would be annoyed with the book.