Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Excalibur #17

Fantastic Member

I would like the book more if it was just focused on the Braddocks, and Gambit, Rogue, and Jubillee weren't involved. I feel like you can replace them with anyone, and nothing changes -- which is a problem with a team book. I also don't fully understand why they have to move into the lighthouse. Can't they all take a shift a day or something? No need to completely uproot their lives.

The Betsy stuff was nice. It was interesting to see how the AU played with the Warren/Betsy/Kwannon romance.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    They should call it Captain Britian w/ teammates Captain Avalon and Meggan and Pixie and Banshee and Black Knight and get a new writer and send Rogue and Gambit back to Mr. and Mrs. X.

I was also peeved that it seems that Betsy will basically be apologizing to alt versions of Kwannon.

Since the one that returns at the end of this issue is probably Queen Betsy.

But I guess we'll see how this all goes down.
    The whole Betsy apologizing to alt Kwannon thing was so off to me. I'm personally in the camp that Betsy (the character, not the writers who introduced the race swap) has nothing to apologize for, so the whole thing felt like misplaced white guilt that wasn't actually helping the wronged party.

Spectacular Member

This book is starting to really irritate me. It had a certain tinge of something a bit different with apoccy in it and the set up for Swords, but now that that is all over, this is basically a book about Betsy and her struggles with a bunch of x-men in the back ground. I agree with everyone. Get all the x-men out and lets move on. I mean I am sure the x department has something planed down the line with the whole Otherworld/Avalon/Captain Britain is a mutant thing, but this book does not need some heavy hitter x-men as wallpaper in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The whole Betsy apologizing to alt Kwannon thing was so off to me. I'm personally in the camp that Betsy (the character, not the writers who introduced the race swap) has nothing to apologize for, so the whole thing felt like misplaced white guilt that wasn't actually helping the wronged party.
    The scene is about Betsy foolishly trying to make amends with an alternate version of a character because she isn't ready yet to talk to the real one yet, so I would say it's pretty much intentionally meant to be uncomfortable

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    The scene is about Betsy foolishly trying to make amends with an alternate version of a character because she isn't ready yet to talk to the real one yet, so I would say it's pretty much intentionally meant to be uncomfortable
    Good point, really hope Tini sticks the landing on addressing the swap.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Can anyone really explain why Rogue and Gambit are still here? They were kinda forced along at the start bc Apocalypse and Rogue being in a coma but that was resolved early on. Exactly why have they remained on this team especially since Gambit has never wanted to be?
    Rogue doesn’t want to make mutant babies and this gives them a lot less alone time living with Rictor, Jubilee and her baby.. and their cats.
    What makes more sense for newlyweds? lol

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Same. And this was like her apologizing to someone that she didn’t do anything to. Like let’s get the real thing already without any more apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I was looking to tie up loose ends with Clan Akkaba, but now I wish they were gone. For me they don’t add anything to the book. So Britain is ok with mutants, but they’re ok with these witches?

Also why they trying to steal the lighthouse because the Braddocks are away. Is that a law in the UK. You can just take land if the owner isn’t around?
    I think there is a law like this on UK, I saw it on TV news some time ago

Same. And this was like her apologizing to someone that she didn’t do anything to. Like let’s get the real thing already without any more apologies.
    Yes, stop wasting time

All-New Member

I just came to say... I REALLY enjoyed the last 2 issues. I felt like this issue felt both like Excalibur and the beginning of something legitimate for Betsy as Captain Britain. I hope that true fans of Betsy (not just ninja telepath) will give this new chapter post-Apocalypse a chance. I think a few of the people who claim to be Betsy fans are really fans of her 90’s image. Which is totally fine. But Betsy walking out of the water was a clear throw back to 80’s Betsy. Her trying to figure out if Warren was attracted to her in her own body, if he really loved her for who she is internally was impactful. I’m no apologist for the first issues of this run, but I do think we’ve seen a marked difference for the past 2 issues.

Gambit and Rogue had good showings this issue from a characterization perspective. I get being sad when your favorites aren’t the center of attention. I can see Rogue fans being sad she’s not in the limelight in this new era, but I can’t imagine a Rogue fan hating on a stealth solo given she had enormous character growth in one 10-15 years ago.

That wasn't even the real 616 Warren...She already meet 616 Warren on her own body

Yeah but it’s Braddocks that own it. They’ve always owned it so Krakoa doesn’t mean a thing.
    That just gets my law school brain pumping. Is the lighthouse being used to conduct foreign government business? Are the Braddocks agents of the UK government? Is the lighthouse, with its connections to the Otherworld, important to the national security and heritage of the UK?

These questions probably aren't important but its what my lawyer brain springs too.

Mighty Member

Betsy passing out in the water doesn’t scream “80s” Betsy to me. Unless you’re talking about that gown/dress/nightgown thing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    That just gets my law school brain pumping. Is the lighthouse being used to conduct foreign government business? Are the Braddocks agents of the UK government? Is the lighthouse, with its connections to the Otherworld, important to the national security and heritage of the UK?

These questions probably aren't important but its what my lawyer brain springs too.
    Haha.. no that’s why I asked though. I didn’t know if you can just take over someone’s land if they don’t show up there. Coven Akkaba has no governmental right being there to take it over.
    The Braddocks are British citizens.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Can anyone really explain why Rogue and Gambit are still here? They were kinda forced along at the start bc Apocalypse and Rogue being in a coma but that was resolved early on. Exactly why have they remained on this team especially since Gambit has never wanted to be?
    They should just turn this book into "Captain Britain" rather than Excalibur.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    They should just turn this book into "Captain Britain" rather than Excalibur.
    Should be called “random thoughts”.