Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wolverine #9: Hey, you wanna buy something weird?

Issue starts out with a flashback to Team X and a non descript assassination mission, we learn Logan and Maverick decide to stop being used as weapons after Sabretooth does some particularly nasty clean up on the job, they choose to use a mnemonic phrase to retain some memories . Flash forward to today, Logan, disguised as Patch, infiltrates an auction with super hero and super villain artifacts as the items for sale. Ton's of big names are there, Fisk, that creepy X -cult, Peacock tattoo guy (looks like his muscle got a gun to replace his arm) and a few others. Bidding starts, Maverick is up for bid as a mind wiped killer along with a severed hand of Logan claws and all and a few other items. Someone has tech that can identify Logan despite the eyepatch, the spotlight shines on him and the fighting starts. One of the items for bid was magnetic controlling gloves, they use those to subdue Logan. Logan uses the mnemonic phrase and Maverick frees him and they are ready to escape.

I really enjoyed this issue, Kubert on art is always a good thing, especially when he's drawing Wolverine. Seeing the cameo's that were at the auction was fun as well, and so far the story has me hooked on what has been going on with Maverick. During the issue Logan cuts his hand open and Kingpin hands him a handkerchief to wipe off the blood, when he's done Logan simply drops the handkerchief and we see the Peacock tattoo man pick it up, definitely interested to see how that pays off down the road. I know Percy has fallen out of favor with a lot of people here on X-Force but I think I just really enjoy the way he writes because X-Force was my favorite book last week and Wolverine was my favorite book this week
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I know i already said this in another thread but i can't help it:

Did anyone else besides me go "Logan you f-ing idiot!" when he dropped the bloody napkin? I mean seriously i expect that kind of thing from Deadpool but one would think Logan would have learned by know what with Laura and Gaby's existence being proof that he can't just leave stuff like that around. More because he just saw them auction his hand and we all know who it was who picked it up given what that hand was wearing as it grabbed it.

Also i wonder what Fisk wanted to buy, Spidey's tombstone perhaps?

BANNED

Was a decent issue but it was pretty self-contained to be honest. Hope to see more of it in the next issue with more interaction.

It was a fun issue overall, i enjoyed it more than i expected.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Spectacular Member

I like how basically everyone besides the guards/host were able to guess it was logan. this disguise of his shouldn't really work.

Spectacular Member

Never underestimate any disguise that consists of eye-wear. A pair of glasses has hidden Superman's identity for years.

Though in this case I don't think Wolverine was really attempting to hide and in my opinion the Legacy house knew it was him from the beginning.

Felt to me like the whole thing was a trap and they were just waiting for confirmation before capturing Wolverine and making him one more prize to auction off like Maverick.

Was curious as I don't follow Wolverine's individual comic through the years just when and how did someone manage to sever Wolverine's hand. I can't recall a time in the X-men comics except for Age of Apocalypse when he didn't appear with both hands intact.
    Plus whoever did it would have had to cut through Adamantium which is not an easy thing to do.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

What a silly issue - I love it.

I think it's pretty great that we can have a series with the "most bad ass" character in the X-Men be so silly.

Love Patch, love 90's Xtreme! Maverick making a return, and I love that even though it is silly it still is very authentic to the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
    Never underestimate any disguise that consists of eye-wear. A pair of glasses has hidden Superman's identity for years.

Though in this case I don't think Wolverine was really attempting to hide and in my opinion the Legacy house knew it was him from the beginning.

Felt to me like the whole thing was a trap and they were just waiting for confirmation before capturing Wolverine and making him one more prize to auction off like Maverick.

Was curious as I don't follow Wolverine's individual comic through the years just when and how did someone manage to sever Wolverine's hand. I can't recall a time in the X-men comics except for Age of Apocalypse when he didn't appear with both hands intact.
    Plus whoever did it would have had to cut through Adamantium which is not an easy thing to do.
    Honestly that's how I anticipated the whole thing. The Mercs may have already known about Patch and being vulnerable isn't the word that applies to Logan. Fisk may have a ulterior motive towards this when he picked up the tissue.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Was that Old Man Logan’s severed hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I know i already said this in another thread but i can't help it:

Did anyone else besides me go "Logan you f-ing idiot!" when he dropped the bloody napkin? I mean seriously i expect that kind of thing from Deadpool but one would think Logan would have learned by know what with Laura and Gaby's existence being proof that he can't just leave stuff like that around.
    I was thinking the same. Logan can be careless in a kind of ‘that’s a future me problem’ way, but he’s seen first hand that humans can use mutant DNA as weapons against them. Look at what just happened to Domino!

This was my favorite book of the week. Kubert did amazing work, the first pages being specially great.

I honestly gasped when I saw the hand of the Peacock Dude, amazing nod. Good to know he is still working and Percy does not want us to forget about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    That was my guess. But it looked to be severed a bit higher up in the middle of the forearm. OML’s hand got sliced off at the wrist. That could just be an artist error, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    I assumed that's where it came from, but we didn't get the actual answer. The only other explanation I could think of is Ultimate Wolverine still had a hand remaining when Magneto killed him.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by silvercover View Post
    I like how basically everyone besides the guards/host were able to guess it was logan. this disguise of his shouldn't really work.
    No one was fooled by 'Patch' in the 80s, when the X-Men died on live TV, and death was actually something considered serious at the time.

I think it would be funny if at some point someone calls him out for his Patch disguise, saying “You know everyone still knows it’s you when you wear the eyepatch, right?”

And he says something like, “Yeah. I just do it for $#!ts and giggles mainly.”

I’d laugh. Ha.