Page 64 of 90 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This brings up that Mac Jones is a work in progress in camp. The biggest blow is Cam Newton's injury to his hand which is slowing his work down with offense and how the Patriots had tailored some of the offense around him. So they have to adjust while Stidham and Jones work it out.

Jones seems to be in the position that Love was in last season. When he arrived he was off as a rookie in practice where the coach was tough on him of course and its said he got better in practices etc as time went on. And Green Bay seems ready to possibly go into 2021 with him as starter.

It reminds me of Mahomes in 2017. Before he was ALL-WORLD on the field , Mahomes had his struggles early and in clips you can see Andy Reid instructing him on things. That he flashed what he'd become but he needed work in practice as a rookie. Which as we see here the same holds true for Mac Jones. Who I doubt sees the field this year. Belichick will likely do an Andy Reid deal and sit Jones the entire year to learn from veterans and build the team up offensively for Jones in year #2 to take over.

To me that is when Patriots fans need to worry. If Mac Jones can't become the starter in 2022 , then you worry.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

In looking at Jones durabilty and his "yards be target" ... NFL's version of WR WAR.

He's played in 134 of 135 games and his YPT is #1 active with #2 & #3 oscillating between Brown and Fitzgerald (Fitz has been #2 to JJ since 2016).

I think Titans will do fine with him.

I'd be more worried about Tannehill, IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    In looking at Jones durabilty and his "yards be target" ... NFL's version of WR WAR.

He's played in 134 of 135 games and his YPT is #1 active with #2 & #3 oscillating between Brown and Fitzgerald (Fitz has been #2 to JJ since 2016).

I think Titans will do fine with him.

I'd be more worried about Tannehill, IMHO.
    Jones had injuries last season missing games. Its why teams didn't offer a 1st rd pick and the wear on him as well played a factor. At 32 he has 13,000+ yards on his body. If this was a season or 2 ago he likely is traded for a 1st rd pick and no one questions his durability. But the injuries last year and the wear made him a 2nd rd pick and questions on how much he has left. He could rebound but there is a fear he could be on the downside.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Jones had injuries last season missing games. Its why teams didn't offer a 1st rd pick and the wear on him as well played a factor. At 32 he has 13,000+ yards on his body. If this was a season or 2 ago he likely is traded for a 1st rd pick and no one questions his durability. But the injuries last year and the wear made him a 2nd rd pick and questions on how much he has left. He could rebound but there is a fear he could be on the downside.
    He hasn't shown a dip yet.

Also, last year the pulled him once they were eliminated.

ATL, Jones' camp, the NFL doctors ... have all said as much.

It is part of why the NFL is reworking the injury rule again so people can't be pulled for "reasons" but he's far from snake bit.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

It's sad, but the comment about worrying over Tannehill rather than Jones had me wishing we had Tannehill instead of Cam or Mac. That's a gut punch, after 20 years of Brady. As to Jones, I hope he does well for the Titans. I'm still glad my Patriots didn't sign him, especially if the price was paying the full salary. On Mac Jones, aside from the "Nobama" Halloween costume the fact that he was the fifth guy drafted (whatever the quality of the class was), and clearly with the lowest ceiling of QBs drafted in the 1st talent-wise, doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. "Well Brady didn't look like a world-class athlete and was also known for his accuracy rather than his arm" would be a valid point if 99.999-% of QBs with that description didn't end up failing to perform anywhere near at Brady's level. Instead, I've watched dozens of 1st round QBs wash out or severely underperform during Brady's time with the Patriots. Including some who at least did have those traits Mac lacks. He just gives me a Johnny Football vibe, and I don't like it. I hope I'm wrong. In the meantime, like I said when they drafted him, I'm now motivated to root hard for Cam Newton to revive his career. Which I didn't imagine happening in the offseason when I had hopes for a Justin Fields or Trey Lance.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    It's sad, but the comment about worrying over Tannehill rather than Jones had me wishing we had Tannehill instead of Cam or Mac. That's a gut punch, after 20 years of Brady. As to Jones, I hope he does well for the Titans. I'm still glad my Patriots didn't sign him, especially if the price was paying the full salary. On Mac Jones, aside from the "Nobama" Halloween costume the fact that he was the fifth guy drafted (whatever the quality of the class was), and clearly with the lowest ceiling of QBs drafted in the 1st talent-wise, doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. "Well Brady didn't look like a world-class athlete and was also known for his accuracy rather than his arm" would be a valid point if 99.999-% of QBs with that description didn't end up failing to perform anywhere near at Brady's level. Instead, I've watched dozens of 1st round QBs wash out or severely underperform during Brady's time with the Patriots. Including some who at least did have those traits Mac lacks. He just gives me a Johnny Football vibe, and I don't like it. I hope I'm wrong. In the meantime, like I said when they drafted him, I'm now motivated to root hard for Cam Newton to revive his career. Which I didn't imagine happening in the offseason when I had hopes for a Justin Fields or Trey Lance.
    Well the team is molded more around Cam than Mac, so if he fails ... it is on Cam's shoulders now.

Cam needs to improve his medium and short throw game which looks like a mechanics issue at this point. It is a little late in his career to do that. Cam also need to learn to read better and dump the ball sooner than later.

As for Mac Jones, being Johnny Football v2 would be great for the Pats because unlike Manziel, Mac is not a dick. An ******* maybe but not a dick. His political ideology aside, he doesn't have the coke problem, women problem, work ethic problem, etc. Manziel has/had. He probably won't be the second coming of Brady but a serviceable QB is still hard to find. Patriots have been spoiled. having a playoff run every 3-5 years is pretty normal for the rest of the NFL.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-09-2021 at 10:04 AM.

Watching a classic "Caught in the Draft" from 1974 where it details the Pittsburgh Steelers rise. And a lot of that is credited to Bill Nunn Jr. A scout who was hired after being a sports reporter in 1967. He convinced Noll to start scouting small division II schools and mostly black colleges. A fact that his HITS was so good and built the team in the Dynasty of the 1970's.

In fact here was the Steelers Hall of Fame drafting from 1970-1979.

1970 - Terry Bradshaw
    1970- Mel Blount
    1971- Jack Ham
    1972- Franco Harris
    1974- Lynn Swann
    1974- Jack Lambert
    1974- John Stallworth
    1974- Mike Webster
    1974- Donnie Shell (Undrafted)

That is 9 Hall of Fame players that the Steelers got from 1970-1974. There is actually 1 more in Tony Dungy who would go into Hall of Fame as a coach years later and a potential 11th who was drafted by Pittsburgh (Dave Brown) who was placed in expansion draft of 1977 because the team didn't have room to start him in secondary. He'd go onto a long career with Seahawks and have 62 Ints. (Likely Brown will go in at some point for that mark)

I don't think we will see a team get so many Hall of Fame caliber players drafted in such a short window...ever.

Here is something unique and likely not seen for the last 22 years. The 1999 Cleveland Browns Expansion draft. This one had them basically doing Fantasy Football and picking off veterans who were left in expansion draft. The late great Marty Schottenheimer is there discussing the draft and as he claims , "Cleveland has a chance to get at least 10-12 quality starters for the team."

49ers have cancelled the rest of their OTA and off-season practices until training camp. They claim it was planned before all the injuries, but it just seems like an awful coincidence they didn't announce it until after they lost two players for the season.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

A soccer player in the Denmark/Finland UEFA match collapsed and needed CPR to be revived. What is the last time that an NFL player died on the field? What is the last time that an NFL player needed CPR?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    A soccer player in the Denmark/Finland UEFA match collapsed and needed CPR to be revived. What is the last time that an NFL player died on the field? What is the last time that an NFL player needed CPR?
    There was a player back in 1971 who played for Detroit who collapsed on field after running a route. He was coming back to the huddle and suddenly collapsed. It was found out he had massive blockages and suffered a heart attack there. They tried to revive him on field and while on the way to hospital.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

There was a player back in 1971 who played for Detroit who collapsed on field after running a route. He was coming back to the huddle and suddenly collapsed. It was found out he had massive blockages and suffered a heart attack there. They tried to revive him on field and while on the way to hospital.
    Considering the scores of players leveled over the years from insanely hard hits to heads, it's nothing short of a miracle there hasn't been a death on the field, or that more players never ended up like Daryl Stingley.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

So Bell has came out angry at the Chiefs over how he was used last season and claims he'll never play for Andy Reid again. Before this he claimed that he'll take his time deciding on a new team and won't rush a decision based on lies etc.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

So Bell has came out angry at the Chiefs over how he was used last season and claims he'll never play for Andy Reid again. Before this he claimed that he'll take his time deciding on a new team and won't rush a decision based on lies etc.
    Sounds like this fool is going to talk himself out of the league. So, he's walking away from a perennial Super Bowl contestant because he didn't like how he was used in the offense. The selfishness was strong in Bell.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sounds like this fool is going to talk himself out of the league. So, he's walking away from a perennial Super Bowl contestant because he didn't like how he was used in the offense. The selfishness was strong in Bell.
    KC has seemingly moved on from Bell after he posted something a couple weeks ago about how he was used as well. The Chiefs signed Derrick Gore and Ellijah McGuire to come in the off season. Plus having Helaire and Williams there makes it easier for Reid. He doesn't take bullshit from players. I mean if Andy Reid let LeSean McCoy leave after a season and didn't play him as much (and Reid likes McCoy as we know) he isn't gonna take it from Bell about playing time etc.

McCoy seemed happy to come in , play a limited role as we saw and get his ring finally. He didn't gripe or anything like that.