Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Comics recommendations!

Just subscribed to marvel unlimited and dc universe. At a loss of what comics to read since there are so many comics available. Will like some recommendations!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

What characters do you like? Which genres draw your interest? Any particular creators you follow/have followed?

You're gonna need to narrow it down a bit, otherwise you might as well close your eyes and start with a random pick.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I am new to comics. I like thor, daredevil, x men, spiderman, batman, superman, wonderwoman, captain marvel and miss marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    I am new to comics. I like thor, daredevil, x men, spiderman, batman, superman, wonderwoman, captain marvel and miss marvel.
    "New to comics"? How "new"?
    I got into comics through my father.
    He bought lots of marvel comics and introduced me to them.
    I really love Thor back then.
    Now, I prefer DC and Vertigo comics to marvel.
    But marvel will always appeal to the child in me.

Mighty Member

For Daredevil, I’ll say read Frank Miller’s run (168-191) and then Born again.

Spider-man is a blast. I’ll say everything and anything between 220-330 is enjoyable. But don’t forget 1-150 too which, while there’s some weak points, is a great run of books.
    Also ultimate spider-man is amazing.

X-men, I’ll say give New X-men 114-154 a read. It’s the best X-men run imo and is great for the modern reading. There’s also uncanny x-force 1-35 which is a nice compliment to that series. And of HOXPOX which is probably the best X-men story.

New, as in, I had not read for awhile.

There's a lot of good material.

You may want to see what eras speak to you. Some fans might like the Silver Age more. Others may be more into the modern cinematic era. Still others may like the bronze age or dark age in between. Eventually, you'll find writers and artists you like, and new characters to follow.

With Thor, a legendary run was Walt Simonson's, starting with #337.
    The 2007 relaunch by J. Michael Strazysnki and Oliver Coipel is also a great jump-on point.

With Daredevil, the best starting point is probably Frank Miller's run (#168-191) and Born Again (#227-233) which everyone else builds on. Afterwards, there's a relaunch by Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada, which is followed by decent runs by Brian Michael Bendis (Volume 2 #26-50, 56-81), and Ed Brubaker.

With the X-Men, there are several starting points. Everything builds on Giant-Sized X-Men and the first few years of Chris Claremont's run (#94 to around 175.) Grant Morrison's run (New X-Men #114-154) is accessible and has its supporters, and leads to the great Whedon/ Cassady run (Astonishing X-Men #1-24.) There was also a recent relaunch with which started with the mini-series House of X, and Powers of X, setting a new direction for the X-Men.

With Spider-Man, I'd recommend seeing if you like the silver age work as it's probably the defining take on the character (Amazing Spider-Man #1-150.) Roger Stern and John Romita Jr had a great run (#224-251) There are also a few jump-on points since the 21st Century (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #30, Amazing Spider-Man #546, Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #1) and Bendis/ Bagley's Ultimate Spider-Man was a good 21st Century take on Spidey's early days. Spider-Man really benefits from reading it as runs rather than just going for individual stories, so you can see the impact that events have, but Kraven's Last Hunt and Spider-Man: Blue are well-regarded standalone stories.

Ms. Marvel's first adventures are well regarded and relatively recent, so that's an easy jump on point.

A benefit of DC is that there are more great standalone stories. For Superman, I'd recommend Superman For All Seasons, the Alan Moore stories, All-Star Superman. For Batman, key tales are The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween. Though, the runs by Grant Morrison (starting with Batman #655) , Scott Snyder/ Greg Capullo (starting with Batman Volume 2 #1) and Tom King (Batman Volume 3 #1) are pretty solid.

You may have to google to see what year a volume started to tell the difference between different versions of Batman Year One.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

New, as in, I had not read for awhile.
    Do you know if you have a preferred era? Do you like older comics or more cinematic newer comics? Do you remember any favorite writers or artists?

Are there any topics that you find uncomfortable? There are some Batman stories that are well-regarded, but violent.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 09-04-2021 at 08:48 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I prefer cinematic newer comics. No writers, remembered, that I prefer, just don't like stan lee.
    I don't mind dark topics.

I don't like silver age comics.

These are some writers I like.

Dan slott
    Mark Waid
    J. Michael Straczynski
    Mike Carey
    Neil Gaiman
    Brian Michael Bendis

If you don’t mind dark themas, I think you coud give a try to “the Saga of the Swamp Thing” by Alan Moore… But maybe it’s already done.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

daredevil
    Mark Waid
    Since you like both Daredevil & Mark Waid, I would then highly recommend both Mark Waid runs on...

Daredevil
    (1st Waid run: 2011–2014; 2nd Waid run: 2014–2015)

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-05-2021 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

These are some writers I like.

Dan slott
    Mark Waid
    J. Michael Straczynski
    Mike Carey
    Neil Gaiman
    Brian Michael Bendis
    Dan Slott had a notable run on Spider-Man. He was part of a creative team that launched a new era with Amazing Spider-Man #546 (the Swing Shift one-shot is a prologue.) Mark Waid was also on that creative team. He started a solo run with Amazing Spider-Man #648.

Bendis/ Bagley's Ultimate Spider-Man is an accessible take on the character's early days.

Bendis had a notable run on Daredevil starting with Volume 2 #26. That led to Brubaker's run, which led to Waid's run (he had two #1s with Volume 3 and 4.)

JMS had decent runs on Amazing Spider-Man and Thor.

Neil Gaiman did two mini-series for Marvel: 1602, which introduced a version of the Marvel Universe set during the renaissance, and the Eternals. I'm guessing you've read Sandman and Mike Carey's Lucifer spinoff.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Two of my faves were recent releases on Wonder comics, Brian Michael Bendis' 'pop up' imprint that is part of the DC Universe.

I recommend the Naomi mini-series (6 issues) and the Wonder Twins maxi-series (12 issues). Both Naomi and the Wonder Twins are now appearing in the current run of Justice League, Naomi as a new member, the twins recurring interns.