Page 34 of 90 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Well, it happened... the NY Jets have traded Sam Darnold to the Carolina Panthers.

In return the Jets got... a sixth round pick this year, and a 2nd and 3rd rounder in 2022.

(LOL Jets)
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Well, it happened... the NY Jets have traded Sam Darnold to the Carolina Panthers.

In return the Jets got... a sixth round pick this year, and a 2nd and 3rd rounder in 2022.

(LOL Jets)
    Just heard about the trade. I guess that was the best the Jets could get for Darnold. So, will there be a competition in Carolina, or will Teddy Bridgewater say "Screw this! I want out"?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

(LOL Jets)
    They weren't gonna get a 1st rd pick out of Darnold due to how badly things had gotten for him. I mean he had a QB rating of 72+ last season and looked pretty bad. A lot is on NY Jets and that terrible offense and players around him. Some is on Darnold who struggled at times as Romo and Aikman in games would bring up. To get 3 draft picks out of this is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just heard about the trade. I guess that was the best the Jets could get for Darnold. So, will there be a competition in Carolina, or will Teddy Bridgewater say "Screw this! I want out"?
    From NFL.Com , the Panthers are expected to push Bridgewater to redo his contract or trade him. But the Panthers feel with 2 offensive masterminds they can unlock Darnold's once promising career.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    They weren't gonna get a 1st rd pick out of Darnold due to how badly things had gotten for him. I mean he had a QB rating of 72+ last season and looked pretty bad. A lot is on NY Jets and that terrible offense and players around him. Some is on Darnold who struggled at times as Romo and Aikman in games would bring up. To get 3 draft picks out of this is amazing.
    While I don't disagree that 2,3, and 6 are good... it's the wait until NEXT year on the two and three that's the lousy part.

While I don't disagree that 2,3, and 6 are good... it's the wait until NEXT year on the two and three that's the lousy part.
    In watching there was a slim market for Darnold and the Jets knew that if the draft hit Carolina may have go in a QB direction. So they had to do this deal or likely have to keep Darnold and not get anything this season or next as there is no way they'd pick up his 5th year option.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

So it will be 1-4 QB picks then the Bengals and Phins get a great player.
    Does Zack Wilson see the shitshow that is the Jets continue?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    In watching there was a slim market for Darnold and the Jets knew that if the draft hit Carolina may have go in a QB direction. So they had to do this deal or likely have to keep Darnold and not get anything this season or next as there is no way they'd pick up his 5th year option.
    Yeah, the reality was it was a buyer's market for QB trades and free agency this offseason, and the Jets held out too long.

They didn't nearly f*** up as bad as the Texans, who should have sold, sold, sold before DeShaun Watson's off-field issues made him toxic to anyone looking to trade.

The more I think upon Sam Darnold's time with the Jets, the more I think Super-E is right and they're lucky to have gotten 3 picks out of the deal, even IF two of them are for the 2022 draft.

Darnold's most famous for two memes...

Getting mono:

Which THE PANTHERS REFERENCED TO ANNOUNCE THE TRADE, LOL.

And of course, "Seeing Ghosts".

At least he doesn't have the infamy of the last QB the Jets drafted before him for finishing his career with a Butt-Fumble on his resume, though.

What's really got me scratching my head is that Carolina is supposedly talking about trading away Teddy Bridgewater now that they got Darnold.

It's like... you guys realize that would be a huge downgrade, right?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Darnold leaving New York is the best thing for him. Perhaps he'll resurrect his career in Carolina.

Speaking of which, who do you think was the worst head coach in Jets history, Adam Gase or Rich Kotite?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Speaking of which, who do you think was the worst head coach in Jets history, Adam Gase or Rich Kotite?

Six of one, half dozen of another.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Darnold leaving New York is the best thing for him. Perhaps he'll resurrect his career in Carolina.

I had someone the other day reflect on Kotite, and how his original press conference, he told the New York media "I'm not a genius..." and he noted he was "the guy who lost his last seven games in Philly"... really inspiring stuff. It also seemed like everyone within the Jets organization were saying, "This was Mr. Hess' decision", in regards to the owner. IMMEDIATELY. Like, it sounded like they knew it was gonna go badly, and didn't want any blame getting laid on them. Including that 7 game losing streak in his last few games in Philadelphia... Kotite lost 34 of his last 38 games as a head coach. The best quote on Kotite my friend has:

Over the years I've convinced myself that Kotite couldn't really be evaluated as a coach because he was such a bad GM that he effectively destroyed his own team.
    An article reflecting on Kotite from back in 2014.
    Ray Mickens recalled when that ’96 team ended its eight-game slide around midseason —
    “We had circled Arizona on the calendar as a team we could definitely beat to get our first win,’’ Mickens said. “So we go there and win and we partied on the plane all the way home and when we got back to New York, Kotite got up in front of us Monday morning and said, ‘Guys, we’re still in this thing.’

“I remember everyone looking around at each other and laughing,’’ Mickens said. “It was hysterical.’’

Former Jets linebacker Marvin Jones recalls that moment as well -
    “At some point you have to be real and not pretend like everything is OK, because it’s not,’’ Jones said. “I can remember when Kotite would say, ‘OK, in a few weeks we’ll get everybody back from injuries and we can make a run.’ We’re like, ‘What? We’re [expletive] 1-8.’ People would say, ‘You’re the best 1-8 team in the league,’ but you know what, you’re 1-8 and you have to be real and say, ‘Hey, we’re not a very good team.’
    A Jets media photographer on that second Kotite season:

"I had a game I was working and never processed the 32 rolls of ektachrome I shot that day. It's the only event I ever covered that I knew was not worth the expense of having the film developed."
    A lowlight reel that notes that with almost the exact same players, Bill Parcells won 8 games the next year. Which isn't an indication that those players were not as bad, but just that Parcells can do more with less.

Adam Gase, though... his opening press conference was a disaster because he seemed high as a kite. But he's the opposite of the above coach were he to have also been the GM. He lost the locker room fast, had players demanding to get traded away from him, and his own DC went rogue and did an all-out blitz when all they had to do was stop one TD pass in game against the Raiders. Kotite may have been bad, but Gase was bad AND the players all loathed him. Like, neither Gase nor Kotite had their players' respect... but I've read way too much about Gase just being an unlikable dumbass.

What's really got me scratching my head is that Carolina is supposedly talking about trading away Teddy Bridgewater now that they got Darnold.

It's like... you guys realize that would be a huge downgrade, right?
    I know this McCaffrey guy at worst Jim Brown incarnate and at best the second coming but that's a lot of his power he's going to have to try and transfer into Darnold's body.

Yea I wish no ill on Darnold. You'd be hard pressed to find a worse situation, even in JETS history, to try to make it happen.

Gase and Kotite both each have a pair of franchises crushed under their foot but Gase was worse because the JETS has employed them both. If you've had a Kotite previous and you've seen the bottom it shouldn't have gone down as bad as it has with Gase making his bottom that much worse.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

The Jets offense put up huge yards and more but what was comical is by the 3rd/4th quarter a lot of their games was done. Teams to be merciful would send in backup players and they'd run the prevent defense more or less. I remember Joe Theisman pointed that out in a Sunday Night game I believe that the NY Jets were a bad football team and their offensive rankings was just a mirage given how terrible they were then.

I read somewhere that with the Darnold trade, the Jets have now traded away their last 6 1st round picks. That's some talent evaluation for you.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato