Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
Lawrence is considered to have done better against top competition. Fields' only knock is he played in the Big Ten, and didn't get the kind of defenses you see from the SEC or ACC as frequent as Lawrence did in post-season play (SEC), and regular season (ACC).

That's it. His resume is there, but I think there's some impression that the Big Ten isn't much past Ohio State these days. That, and the talent surrounding Fields gives him some pause, because "of course he looked good with that line and the weapons he had".

I'm not going to be surprised if he's a success. If I am, it's only because the Buckeyes do not make NFL quarterbacks. Haven't for some time.
Ohio State QB prospects have always been fool's gold. The most successful OSU QB in the NFL was Tom Tupa, and that was as a punter. More OSU QBs have found success in the NFL as WR than as QBs. The only moderately successful OSU QB in the NFL in the modern era was Mike Tomczak.

Now that doesn't mean Fields will be a bust, but it is enough of a track record to give some team pause in their evaluations, especially when a top 5 draft pick is in play. My prediction is Fields winds up being a desperation grab by the team in the top 5 seeking a QB when all the others big names are gone.

Fields could break the mold of previous OSU QBs, or he could follow suit. Would you want to be the team with a top 5 pick rolling the dice on that when there are other viable choices out there? Jobs are lost on bad gambles like that.

-M