Page 39 of 90 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Lawrence is considered to have done better against top competition. Fields' only knock is he played in the Big Ten, and didn't get the kind of defenses you see from the SEC or ACC as frequent as Lawrence did in post-season play (SEC), and regular season (ACC).

That's it. His resume is there, but I think there's some impression that the Big Ten isn't much past Ohio State these days. That, and the talent surrounding Fields gives him some pause, because "of course he looked good with that line and the weapons he had".

I'm not going to be surprised if he's a success. If I am, it's only because the Buckeyes do not make NFL quarterbacks. Haven't for some time.
    Ohio State QB prospects have always been fool's gold. The most successful OSU QB in the NFL was Tom Tupa, and that was as a punter. More OSU QBs have found success in the NFL as WR than as QBs. The only moderately successful OSU QB in the NFL in the modern era was Mike Tomczak.

Now that doesn't mean Fields will be a bust, but it is enough of a track record to give some team pause in their evaluations, especially when a top 5 draft pick is in play. My prediction is Fields winds up being a desperation grab by the team in the top 5 seeking a QB when all the others big names are gone.

Fields could break the mold of previous OSU QBs, or he could follow suit. Would you want to be the team with a top 5 pick rolling the dice on that when there are other viable choices out there? Jobs are lost on bad gambles like that.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I think if the right team put people around Zach Wilson and just gave him a solid offensive system he can be what we see with Mahomes. I mean he literally has that excitement type play making ability he flashes. I can see why NY Jets want that. But unless they put offensive pieces around Wilson he won't be successful.

I know a lot of people have said Mac Jones could be the ultimate bust QB prospect due to being a typical pocket style passer with not as much escape ability as Wilson or Fields. But if Wilson manages to fall to the 49ers they could have something exciting ahead . I feel for him with the NY Jets...but we shall see what happens.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Clowney to the Browns on a one year deal. That defense is gonna be a bull next season.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Clowney to the Browns on a one year deal. That defense is gonna be a bull next season.
    Return of the football's second dynasty? Exciting!

They had a crazy run of 11 years at the top pre Super Bowl followed shortly by a 9 year reign of terror. Packers, Patriots, and Cowboys are the only other teams to have had a combined run of 20+ consecutive years of winning.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-14-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Former 49ers DB Lynn Thomas, who recovered a fumble in the team's 1982 Super Bowl win over the Bengals, has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Reports are that 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan has been in frequent contact with the QB coach of Justin Fields leading to speculation that Fields is who they are targeting at #3.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49...ields-qb-coach

Of course Trey Lance has the same QB coach, so who knows.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 04-14-2021 at 09:58 PM.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Reports are that 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan has been in frequent contact with the QB coach of Justin Fields leading to speculation that Fields is who they are targeting at #3.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49...ields-qb-coach

Of course Trey Lance has the same QB coach, so who knows.

-M
    It can't be discounted that fake reports are floated to the media in the hope of teams changing their minds of players they're interested in drafting. That could well be the case here.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    It can't be discounted that fake reports are floated to the media in the hope of teams changing their minds of players they're interested in drafting. That could well be the case here.
    It could be, but that QB coach, John Beck has worked under Shanahan on a couple of occasions and was a trusted voice for Shanahan. If it were some random coach, I would definitely be hesitant about the report, but someone Shanahan has a personal relationship with who was answering questions from the media about who has contacted him about his clients and not a report originating with the 49ers is something I am inclined to give a little more credence to. However, I guess Shanahan could be playing a long game and contacting him knowing reports would get out there in an attempt to throw people off, but that's a lot of what ifs that have to come to fruition for it to work as a dodge. Still, teams do go to extreme measures, so it's a matter of wait and see. Add to it that Fields is incorporating some of the 49ers offensive concepts into his second pro-day workout at the behest and guidance of Beck, and there starts to be more traction for the idea that the 49ers are seriously looking at him. Of course Lance will do the same at his 2nd pro-day next week, so it leaves some ambiguity.

-M

Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Speaking of Justin Fields , New England and Belichick sent Josh McDaniels to watch him work out. The belief is if Fields drops past the 49ers and falls close to #15 , New England will try to trade up for him. That sending McDaniels to watch his work out shows the interest New England has in him.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I think if the right team put people around Zach Wilson and just gave him a solid offensive system he can be what we see with Mahomes. I mean he literally has that excitement type play making ability he flashes. I can see why NY Jets want that. But unless they put offensive pieces around Wilson he won't be successful.

I know a lot of people have said Mac Jones could be the ultimate bust QB prospect due to being a typical pocket style passer with not as much escape ability as Wilson or Fields. But if Wilson manages to fall to the 49ers they could have something exciting ahead . I feel for him with the NY Jets...but we shall see what happens.
    Very exciting time for NY Jets fans. We got a savvy sheriff (Joe Douglas) in town with his head coach. Now he'll have his QB too. He'll have to show us something this year. I like his moves with very short term contracts for free-agents. Once he builds that protection for Wilson we'll might have something interesting to see in NY.

Feels good man.

Atlanta is expected to attend Trey Lance's pro day this Monday with 3 scouts there to watch. The Falcons are receiving calls at #4 and the team right now is debating on where to go in draft. Many believe Atlanta will draft the top TE on the board and give Matt Ryan another weapon to pair with Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley. But teams are wanting to trade up and could offer a lot.

On First Take , these columnists get it so wrong in comical fashion on Jim McMahon's words on QB's going to Chicago to die.

Doug Flutie
    Jim Harbaugh
    Erik Kramer
    Dave Krieg
    Kordell Stewart
    Jay Cutler

This is a list of some QB's who had success before and after the Bears stints. Mostly before as we know. But when your analysts racing to protect the integrity of Jay Cutler and not at all realizing McMahon is friggen right....how stupid are you ?

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Atlanta is expected to attend Trey Lance's pro day this Monday with 3 scouts there to watch. The Falcons are receiving calls at #4 and the team right now is debating on where to go in draft. Many believe Atlanta will draft the top TE on the board and give Matt Ryan another weapon to pair with Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley. But teams are wanting to trade up and could offer a lot.
    Hell, there's rumors there are teams wanting to move into this slot for the right price to take the #1 player available. Teams in the #11-16 slots who might want to give a king's ransom if they can snag Pitts, the WR of their choice, or someone else because they don't want to sit idle and wait for them to be there when they pick for fear someone else jumps in around Detroit at #7 overall.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Hell, there's rumors there are teams wanting to move into this slot for the right price to take the #1 player available. Teams in the #11-16 slots who might want to give a king's ransom if they can snag Pitts, the WR of their choice, or someone else because they don't want to sit idle and wait for them to be there when they pick for fear someone else jumps in around Detroit at #7 overall.
    Well, here in Philly, there's talk about the Eagles, who moved down from #6 to #12 are angling to move BACK into the top 10, so yeah, the rumors are running rampant and will only get worse as the Draft draws closer.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!