Page 1 of 90 123451151 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default NFL 2021 Off-Season

Normally I'd wait til seconds after the Super Bowl finished as usual. But there is a ton of news breaks hitting and some deserve this off season thread. Its gonna be a year of QB transition as teams could be moving on from a number of guys soon. So lets get started....

- The LA Rams could be looking at trading Jared Goff. This happened as the backup QB John Wolford had impressed the team in training camp during the summer and his start had them happy with his mobility and ability to make plays. This has put Goff in a situation where the Rams will try to trade him this off season. But his cap hit (up to $35 million) will be an issue. If they are unable to trade him Goff will go into camp battling Wolford for the starting job.

[IMG]https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2021/01/03/PDTF/4b0e1a12-4587-4d0d-80c5-91eac61551ac*******minn_010321_kd170.jpg[/IMG]

- The Detroit Lions in midst of a rebuild have agreed to a parting of the ways with Matthew Stafford. The 33 year old QB who holds numerous Lions passing records will be traded more easier than Goff. His cap number is lower and his arm is really in demand. Rumors of the 49ers , Patriots , Colts and Texans if they part with Watson have came up.

- Speaking of DeShaun Watson stories have came out Watson prefers the NY Jets weirdly. No clue if this is legit true or not. But the current Texans QB is unhappy with ownership and the promises they broke to him heading into the current GM hiring. Nick Caserio has pledged that Watson's his QB but the demand from teams offering players and draft picks could prove too much for a rebuilding Texans team. Miami is the hottest rumor of course.

- Also speaking of the Houston Texans , the team has hired Baltimore Ravens assistant coach David Culley as their head coach. He was hired after 27 years in the league with experience. He's also the 3rd black head coach in the league and 5th minority head coach.

- The NY Jets new head coach Robert Saleh praised Sam Darnold as having great talent and he's seen the tape of him. That he has the arm and mobility . He is 23 and hasn't even scratched the surface of what he can do. But Saleh stopped just short of endorsing Darnold saying they would have to sit down with the GM and others to discuss the entire team ahead on where they go in draft/free agency.

- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay brought up the team weeks ago needed speed at edge rusher , cornerback , WR and offensive line. Now with Phillip Rivers retiring after 1 season the team is back to looking for a QB. The search to replace Andrew Luck continues as Irsay shot down that Luck isn't coming back either. The team could be in hot pursuit of a QB in the draft or trade wise like Watson , Wentz or whoever else is out there.

- Future Hall of Fame TE Jason Witten announced his retirement (again) and will sign a 1 day contract with Dallas in March and retire after a season as a backup with Raiders. Witten leaves the game after 17 seasons ; 1233 career receptions for 13,046 yards and 74 TD's.

- Washington made a huge move towards repairing its image with women after terrible reports came out during season. Jennifer King will become the NFL's 1st black female assistant position coach at RB this season ahead for the Washington team.

- In a sick deal , Chad Wheeler has 3 charges against him filed by Seattle police for domestic violence. Article will be linked below. The Seahawks released Wheeler QUICK.

https://www.nfl.com/news/**********o...violence-assau

According to a Kent Police report, the alleged victim was attacked by Wheeler Friday night after he asked her to stand up and bow to him. When she declined, Wheeler allegedly grabbed her by the neck and threw her on the bed, per the report. Wheeler then proceeded to strangle the victim and at one point he removed one of his hands to press it against the victim's mouth and nose "trying to stop her from breathing as he continued to strangle her with his other hand."

Wheeler also allegedly grabbed the victim's left arm at one point and twisted it to prevent her from fighting back. The victim eventually lost consciousness, per the report, and after she came to, Wheeler allegedly said, "Wow you're alive?" The victim then locked herself in the bathroom to call family and authorities.

Per police, the victim had "noticeable fingerprints on both sides of her neck as well as capillaries that had burst at the back of her throat." Her left elbow also was swollen and deformed.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

REPORT: Gators OC Brian Johnson is Philadelphia Eagles' new QB coach

When I heard about the signing of Brian Johnson, my first thought was about THIS guy:

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-28-2021 at 01:43 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The real question is if the guy will have to fix Wentz, develop Hurts, or end up singing, "Shook Me All Night Long".
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The real question is if the guy will have to fix Wentz, develop Hurts, or end up singing, "Shook Me All Night Long".
    Probably easier to do that last one than the other two.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Yah apparently SAS says, based on an unnamed source, that the Rams would be trading Goff away in a deal which ends up with them getting Watson. I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm wondering how Watson would even fit in there with McVay and his "by the metrics" coaching style. Plus Watson seems to have definite ideas on where he wants to go. But the trade does fit with the Rams m.o. - losing a bunch of cap space on an "all-in" strategy and then paying for it dearly in a couple of years. I just hope if they do bring in Watson, they pick up at least one more burner wideout in the draft. They don't even need a guy who can catch all that well, just someone to suck up a defender so the blitz is less effective.

Seems like the Eagles have the toughest decision to make in the league, at QB. Their window is still technically there, but rapidly closing.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-28-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah apparently SAS says, based on an unnamed source, that the Rams would be trading Goff away in a deal which ends up with them getting Watson. I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm wondering how Watson would even fit in there with McVay and his "by the metrics" coaching style. Plus Watson seems to have definite ideas on where he wants to go. But the trade does fit with the Rams m.o. - losing a bunch of cap space on an "all-in" strategy and then paying for it dearly in a couple of years. I just hope if they do bring in Watson, they pick up at least one more burner wideout in the draft. They don't even need a guy who can catch all that well, just someone to suck up a defender so the blitz is less effective.

Seems like the Eagles have the toughest decision to make in the league, at QB. Their window is still technically there, but rapidly closing.
    There are Chase, Smith, Toney, Moore, and Waddle as speedy WRs this draft.

I really don't think there is a DK this draft. Which is kind of what you're describing.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Watson has a no trade clause he hasn't waived, so he doesn't have to go anywhere he doesn't want to. Any trade The Texans make has to be approved by Watson or it will fall through, so I doubt he winds up somewhere he doesn't think will be a good fit for him. It also limits who the Texans can really work with, if they know Watson will reject the trade to a particular team, there's no sense even negotiating with that team.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Heh! Good one!

Tougher than Dallas as they have to decide to back up the Brinks truck to front door of Dak Prescott's house after he came off a devastating leg injury? Tougher than Washington which doesn't have a passer and aren't in a position to draft one? Tougher than Houston who might have to trade Deshaun Watson if they can't placate him? Sure, Nick "Hey, Siri" Sirianni was brought in to rehabilitate Carson Wentz, but, at 28, I don't know if that's possible, and focusing on him takes away from the development of Jalen Hurts. As for that window, I'd say it's almost closed, the team is aging, youth is in short supply and skill players are hardly in abundance. What Eagles fans like me saw in 2020 figures to become the norm, not an aberration.

NFL.Com is reporting Carolina plans to aggressively push after Watson.

But the entire debacle is just insane to watch play out. The entire "Patriots Way" when teams sign these coaches and Patriots executives have failed 90% of the time in the league. The fact that Houston has done the Patriot Way and went into the shitter with it in 2020 , deciding to double down on that crazy deal is insane. And its gonna cost them their marquee franchise QB more than likely is...bonkers.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The Rams are gonna be in a hard spot. His massive contract is likely gonna hurt the team as we see to trade without some work. Goff just isn't worth this money. He's an average QB with not big arm strength. Teams aren't gonna flock to him and if the Lions do decide to make a swap for Stafford they'd likely demand some draft picks.

The number of rumored trades, potential salary cap cuts, and free agents in the QB class might make 2021 the craziest "QB Carousel" year ever. No hyperbole.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

As a Patriots fan I'm most interested in seeing what we do at QB. The Cam experiment is over. Stidham isn't a thing. Deshaun is clearly going to be too costly, and we can't really compete with draft picks if the Jets are on board (and can throw in a Darnold who isn't too shabby if you don't take a QB with the #2 pick). I'd like Stafford, but how much is he going to cost? If it's just a first, or even a first and a second I could see it working. We have the cap space to sign a WR (and think his guys Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay are free agents). If it's more than that I'd say pass and take a chance somebody in the draft worth taking is there at 15. Beyond that, who comes back from Covid? Is Edelman able to return? I know the Brady era is over and I've likely seen my last Patriots Super Bowl victory (hard to complain after the last two decades, though). Still would like to see us be competitive.

The number of rumored trades, potential salary cap cuts, and free agents in the QB class might make 2021 the craziest "QB Carousel" year ever. No hyperbole.
    Couldn't agree more. There's going to be chaos at the QB spot throughout the league.

With Drew pretty much done In New Orleans I would love to see Watson go there. As a Saints fan I would be happy with this.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.