Page 14 of 90 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I know Wilson has to waive his no-trade clause in order to go anywhere.

It was a joke ...

In terms of value, trading Watson now garners more than later.

Let's say he sits out the WHOLE season.

Do you really think anybody is going to want to surrender a #1 or even a single #2 pick for somebody that just sat out the season?

Strike while the iron's hot, trade him now.
    Reports this afternoon on ESPN that the Texans are refusing to even listen to offers for Watson and that Watson is willing to give up millions to not play for them again, so I don't see a trade happening before the draft or even this off-season. Pride and financial bottom line are more important to Texans' ownership than improving their team, so they won't take the financial hit in dead money to deal him and won't back down from their position to "give in" to Watson even if it means losing an opportunity to get value in return for Watson. It's sad, and it's a pitiful statement about that franchise and it's ownership, but they make Jerry Jones look humble by comparison, so I can't see them backing down.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 02-27-2021 at 12:20 AM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Whelp, they traded JJ Watt and he had been about 90 percent of the source of the vocal complaints in Houston. I'm thinking the team ownership feels that Watson is not going to speak out during his self-imposed exile to come, and so they can afford to eat the dead money for the sake of pride.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Reports this afternoon on ESPN that the Texans are refusing to even listen to offers for Watson and that Watson is willing to give up millions to not play for them again, so I don't see a trade happening before the draft or even this off-season. Pride and financial bottom line are more important to Texans' ownership than improving their team, so they won't take the financial hit in dead money to deal him and won't back down from their position to "give in" to Watson even if it means losing an opportunity to get value in return for Watson. It's sad, and it's a pitiful statement about that franchise and it's ownership, but they make Jerry Jones look humble by comparison, so I can't see them backing down.

-M
    If the Texans had any pride as an organization they wouldn't have put themselves in this situation in the first place. The laundry list of their impeccably horrific decisions is a textbook example of how not to run a franchise and yet another example of why 2nd generation owners are even dumber than some of the dumber first generation owners.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I thought Watts was a Free Agent?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    He is. He was released by Houston. He is listed as an UFA.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I have no idea why the Texans owner made these promises to Watson and then each time comically would break it each time. Believing he was teaching that kid a lesson or some nonsense. I mean....its your franchise QB and your basically telling him one thing and then doing something else....repeatedly. I'd say the last straw was the not giving Eric Beinemy an interview which pissed Watson off (the hot belief is Watson really wanted Beinemy and wants to run that Mahomes type offense) . This after the owner said they'd include Watson in discussions of a coach.

I'd keep an eye on the 49ers here. Easterby and Caserio have New England ties. And a lot of ex-New England people try and use the same players at QB. In KC Scott Pioli traded for Matt Cassel. Early in his Texans coaching run Bill O'Brien had 2 former Patriots at QB in Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer. This is just 2 examples as I'm sure there is a couple more out there.

I'd expect them to approach the 49ers to do a trade on QB's and draft picks. Caserio gets a QB he knows about etc.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I have no idea why the Texans owner made these promises to Watson and then each time comically would break it each time. Believing he was teaching that kid a lesson or some nonsense. I mean....its your franchise QB and your basically telling him one thing and then doing something else....repeatedly. I'd say the last straw was the not giving Eric Beinemy an interview which pissed Watson off (the hot belief is Watson really wanted Beinemy and wants to run that Mahomes type offense) . This after the owner said they'd include Watson in discussions of a coach.

I'd keep an eye on the 49ers here. Easterby and Caserio have New England ties. And a lot of ex-New England people try and use the same players at QB. In KC Scott Pioli traded for Matt Cassel. Early in his Texans coaching run Bill O'Brien had 2 former Patriots at QB in Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer. This is just 2 examples as I'm sure there is a couple more out there.

I'd expect them to approach the 49ers to do a trade on QB's and draft picks. Caserio gets a QB he knows about etc.
    While this seems like a big possibility...

Houston fans will have to deal with them trading an elite talent who can put up MVP numbers for a guy who's missed 50% of his starts in San Francisco and wasn't trusted to throw the ball in the NFC Championship Game or Super Bowl the year he went.

I'm sure after the DeAndre Hopkins trade last season, that one will go over like a fart in church.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    While this seems like a big possibility...

Houston fans will have to deal with them trading an elite talent who can put up MVP numbers for a guy who's missed 50% of his starts in San Francisco and wasn't trusted to throw the ball in the NFC Championship Game or Super Bowl the year he went.

I'm sure after the DeAndre Hopkins trade last season, that one will go over like a fart in church.
    In that Super Bowl loss down the final minutes they tried putting the game in Jimmy's hand. It just didn't work. But I wouldn't be shocked if we see them finally do this to get something for Watson.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

In NFL News , the Pittsburgh Steelers Art Rooney has said the timeline to get Ben Rothlisberger's contract worked out is March 17th. That they have to get the deal done by then. His cap hit right now for 2021 is $41+ million and the Steelers to get him back need to cut that. Rothlisberger will turn 39 next season and its likely they will try and extend him and rework his deal to a 2 year $20+ million a season deal to get it to work.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

From what I've read and heard, it sounds like Easterby is the villain of the piece, going from team chaplain to head of football operations, having conned owner Cal McNair into gaining all that power. The notion of him and Caserio swinging a trade for Jimmy Grabass (can't spell his real name) doesn't shock me in the slightest. But to trade for a passer who's had injury issues the last couple of years and appears (right or wrong) to be brittle makes zero sense. But then, how McNair and Easterby have destroyed the Texans has been mystifying.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    From what I've read and heard, it sounds like Easterby is the villain of the piece, going from team chaplain to head of football operations, having conned owner Cal McNair into gaining all that power. The notion of him and Caserio swinging a trade for Jimmy Grabass (can't spell his real name) doesn't shock me in the slightest. But to trade for a passer who's had injury issues the last couple of years and appears (right or wrong) to be brittle makes zero sense. But then, how McNair and Easterby have destroyed the Texans has been mystifying.
    Why would Janice or Cal McNair know anything about running a football team. Sounds like they got taken in by a religious huckster with Easterby. This is the downside of the NFL's shared revenue. Complete failures by ownership easily survive.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes I jumped the gun on that one. However... now its ...

JJ Watt to Cards! Multiple reports have the deal for potentially $31 million, with $23 million guaranteed.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/wat...with-cardinals

Well, good luck.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yes I jumped the gun on that one. However... now its ...

JJ Watt to Cards! Multiple reports have the deal for potentially $31 million, with $23 million guaranteed.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/wat...with-cardinals

Well, good luck.
    Holy s***. There was ZERO talk about this on my drive home. Nobody in AZ sportstalk thought this was coming, more than minor speculation.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Holy s***. There was ZERO talk about this on my drive home. Nobody in AZ sportstalk thought this was coming, more than minor speculation.
    I don't think ANYONE saw that coming. Talk about a surprise!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Reports this afternoon on ESPN that the Texans are refusing to even listen to offers for Watson and that Watson is willing to give up millions to not play for them again, so I don't see a trade happening before the draft or even this off-season.

Pride and financial bottom line are more important to Texans' ownership than improving their team, so they won't take the financial hit in dead money to deal him and won't back down from their position to "give in" to Watson even if it means losing an opportunity to get value in return for Watson. It's sad, and it's a pitiful statement about that franchise and it's ownership, but they make Jerry Jones look humble by comparison, so I can't see them backing down.

-M
    This is all Deshaun's fault. His agent, whomever he is, presumably has other clients and advises them accordingly. Watson knew O'Brien was a clown with no rep, he was there during the rise of Easterby, he watched them let my man go to Arizona for chump change, he watched them dump Clowney before that and that wasn't all the signs. Throughout all this he signed that extension, they have him now. If Houston really wants to stand their ground they can make him retire rather than let him go. The ONLY leverage I see Watson even has, is that that they, still need to find a QB. Of course, that they will do, even if all he can do is throw backwards (there will always be a place for a Nathan Peterman in the NFL). Only way he even sniffs a look at another team is if they can maybe get a QB more in line organizationally. If another Teebow falls into their laps is the only way I see them blinking. This thing could take him out of the league legitimately if Houston stands firm.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.