Page 53 of 90 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

I heard a take on Aaron Rodgers' trade demand from someone who's not thinking...

"Just trade him to Seattle straight up for Russell Wilson!"

Why that likely isn't the solution:

- Russell Wilson has a no trade clause.
    - Russell Wilson's wife wants to be in a large market to parlay it into furthering her career in pop.
    - Russell Wilson's main gripe is the front office in Seattle doesn't listen to him, why would he want to go to a place that ALSO wouldn't listen to him?

But this will be the story through the rest of this offseason, and sportstalk and ESPN are going to bleed every drop of ink they can out of it. We're going to be sick and tired of hearing about it for the next five weeks, at least.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I heard a take on Aaron Rodgers' trade demand from someone who's not thinking...

- Russell Wilson's wife wants to be in a large market to parlay it into furthering her career in pop.
    - Russell Wilson's main gripe is the front office in Seattle doesn't listen to him, why would he want to go to a place that ALSO wouldn't listen to him?

But this will be the story through the rest of this offseason, and sportstalk and ESPN are going to bleed every drop of ink they can out of it. We're going to be sick and tired of hearing about it for the next five weeks, at least.
    The media in EVERY NFL city will float trade proposals for Rodgers in one form or another. And yeah, I've heard that noise here in Philly, like he'd want to be traded to the Eagles with a head coach cynically looked upon as a yes man for GM Howie Roseman and a roster that's closer to landing the top pick in next year's draft than the Super Bowl. It's all nonsense.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The media in EVERY NFL city will float trade proposals for Rodgers in one form or another. And yeah, I've heard that noise here in Philly, like he'd want to be traded to the Eagles with a head coach cynically looked upon as a yes man for GM Howie Roseman and a roster that's closer to landing the top pick in next year's draft than the Super Bowl. It's all nonsense.
    Some teams don't have the draft picks or other assets to give up. Some don't have the cap space.

Denver or Las Vegas seem like the most likely landing spots. I know Rodgers might want to play in California, but the Rams have no draft picks left and already mortgaged just to get Stafford for Goff. Chargers seem to be loving Justin Herbert. The 49ers might be where he'd like to be, but they have money tied up in Jimmy G, and they just drafted a guy who will end up being "new Jordan Love" if and when Rodgers arrives there.

I'm more thinking it's going to be the Broncos, though. Assuming Rodgers wants to play there and not retire.

Funny you say every city. We had two of our sports radio guys in Cincy talk about how great it would be to trade for him. Sit Burrow for a year to let his leg get stronger after the injury then have Rodgers as a back up. They talked about it like it was a legit idea.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I'd say the Raiders will be more desperate. They have so under-achieved in Gruden's run that he dismantled the team and since they haven't finished above 8-8. Gruden will look at this and think ....this can get me to a winning record. Because he's going into his 4th season as coach and right now with a 19-29 record. So I fully expect Gruden to throw a lot of draft picks and deal a top player in exchange for Rodgers after June 1st. (which many believe will be when Green Bay deals Rodgers as salary cap hit won't be as much , ala Atlanta with Julio Jones)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Some teams don't have the draft picks or other assets to give up. Some don't have the cap space.

Denver or Las Vegas seem like the most likely landing spots. I know Rodgers might want to play in California, but the Rams have no draft picks left and already mortgaged just to get Stafford for Goff. Chargers seem to be loving Justin Herbert. The 49ers might be where he'd like to be, but they have money tied up in Jimmy G, and they just drafted a guy who will end up being "new Jordan Love" if and when Rodgers arrives there.

I'm more thinking it's going to be the Broncos, though. Assuming Rodgers wants to play there and not retire.
    I can't see Rodgers in Vegas where he'd have to deal with Chucky as his head coach, those two would tear each other apart, so Denver might be the better landing spot, provided he can handle having John Elway as his boss.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I can't see Rodgers in Vegas where he'd have to deal with Chucky as his head coach, those two would tear each other apart, so Denver might be the better landing spot, provided he can handle having John Elway as his boss.
    Heh. Yeah, the problem with Gruden is he wants a polyamorous with his QBs, and loves every QB he sees tape on. Like, Rodgers got bent out of shape because the Packers never spent a 1st round pick on an offensive player since he took over for Favre, until the time they did, it was his successor.

Gruden has been lukewarm about Derek Carr from the moment he took over, who is a pretty solid starter. Chucky's fickle nature absolutely WOULD chap Rodger's arse, you're right.

BANNED

I'd gladly give Mac Jones, Stephon Gilmore, and a 1st and 2nd rounder to the Seahawks for Wilson. New England isn't NY exposure-wise, but it's big enough and being the face of our franchise is a big deal after Brady. Also, respected coach and team ready to go. Again, pie-in-the-sky and I don't like Mac Jones but dang would I be happy.

Yes I could see it. Rodgers would also find Denver to his liking and the fans would, of course, worship him. Every home game is a sellout and the stadium is really nice. Plus the field feels very old school in that the fans are very close to the action, part of the game basically, and its crazy loud in there. The high altitude will help Rodgers throws to sail, which he will love. Elway shouldn't be a problem, he has not really been one to make a spectacle of himself. He's been more of a behind the scenes guy. As long as the fans are happy, he's basically happy. And this would make them happy.

Plus, as much as it pains me, he could actually bring them another championship. They have pretty good cap space, after all, and could work some key trades to really help Rodgers out.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

If Green Bay wants to play hardball, they wait until training camp starts to see if Rodgers reports. If he doesn't, they can begin fining him and then seek relief from his signing bonus and roster bonuses which would give them some relief from the cap hit he imposes and make it less of a cap hit to then deal him. That would be on top of the relief they get by waiting until June 1 to make the roster move and being able to split the hit over 2 seasons instead of one. With those two factors in play, I wouldn't expect to see a deal for Rodgers happen until some time during the summer. It would also give the GB front office the cover of saying we tried to mend fences but Rodgers wouldn't report. This already seems like an acrimonious break despite what Coach Lafleur says, and I expect it to get more acrimonious before the final split. If Rodgers really wants out, the Packers don't have much leverage, but I would bet they scrape every bit of financial relief they can squeeze out of the situation before acceding to his trade demands (which would also delay his arrival and prep time at the new destination, as he would miss part of the new teams camp).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

After taking Micah Parsons in the 1st round, the Dallas Cowboys are declining the fifth-year option on LB Leighton Vander Esch, citing injury concerns. Stephen Jones has said in the past they hope to work something out with Vander Esch regardless if they picked up the option or not, so we'll see, but they wanted to avoid the guaranteed money on the injury-prone LB after getting Parsons in round one.

Dallas' move was only one of many I saw of teams declining 5th year options after the results of the draft.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Post draft ...

The Bears (+5000), Raiders (+6600) and Vikings (+5000) all jumped to the middle of the pack for winning the Super Bowl per 3 averaged Vegas sports books. The only team to have a bigger jump was pre-draft Pats from 4000 to 3000 post FA pick ups.

Patriots shaved another 200 to now +2800, almost cracking the top 10. They are now #11. Their jumps means if they win it all and you bet on them back in March $100, you are looking at $5.7K net profit.

The 49ers, Dolphins, Cowboys, Chargers and Cardinals round out the top 10 with a range from +1400 (Niners) to +2775 (Cards) with the Niners and Chargers being the whole teams to jump spots (both jumped one team).

The top 3 are still the the Chiefs (+450), Buccaneers (+700), and Packers (+900) even with all the Rodgers drama.

Rams and Bills stay in the #4 & #5 spot at +1300 each.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-03-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Buffalo's R3 pick Spencer Brown celebrates his selection on draft day.

He's gonna fit right in.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Sounds like Watson is settling and will be allowed a trade. After he serves a suspension.