Page 19 of 90 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Guess he couldn't get Garafalo back from SF?
    A lot of WRs, TEs, FBs, and HBs like Newton.

He could help them attract a marquee UFA.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    A lot of WRs, TEs, FBs, and HBs like Newton.

He could help them attract a marquee UFA.
    And it's a heavy market for WR and HB, in particular. And New England does have a s*** ton of cap space.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Guess he couldn't get Garafalo back from SF?
    Maybe the price was too high.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Maybe the price was too high.
    This move also doesn't preclude the fact that they will trade for, sign, or draft another QB.

It's only a $14M deal at most if he knocks out all the incentives.

It's not a Dak or even a Goff or Stafford situation ... Pats still have room.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

If this is it though, just Newton for the Pats, it's over. With Belichick approaching 70 and us having the highest pick we've "earned" in longer than I can remember if we don't draft a young QB in the 1st (and a lot of mocks again have the 4-5 relevant guys all going before pick 15) then this season will be a holding pattern until next year. I knew we were going to go downhill after Brady, but given how little time we have left with a legendary coach, how old Mr. Kraft is, and how much money we have free I can't understand this signing. What did they see last year that made them think one of the worst passing QBs in the league was worth a 2nd look? Frustrating. Hopefully we're aggressive in the draft. It won't surprise me when draft a nice LB or CB who's a solid player but adds zero wins for us or trade back in the draft, but I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    If this is it though, just Newton for the Pats, it's over. With Belichick approaching 70 and us having the highest pick we've "earned" in longer than I can remember if we don't draft a young QB in the 1st (and a lot of mocks again have the 4-5 relevant guys all going before pick 15) then this season will be a holding pattern until next year. I knew we were going to go downhill after Brady, but given how little time we have left with a legendary coach, how old Mr. Kraft is, and how much money we have free I can't understand this signing. What did they see last year that made them think one of the worst passing QBs in the league was worth a 2nd look? Frustrating. Hopefully we're aggressive in the draft. It won't surprise me when draft a nice LB or CB who's a solid player but adds zero wins for us or trade back in the draft, but I hope I'm wrong.
    Newton healthy (remember he got sick early) and real practice takes the Pats to 9-7 or 10-6.

All those opt outs coming back (the league high 7) adds at least another win to that total.

It takes time to build. I really wouldn't write off Darth Hoodie till year +5 after Brady.

The average team takes 3 years to turnaround into the playoffs. They look to be on that pace.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Newton healthy (remember he got sick early) and real practice takes the Pats to 9-7 or 10-6.

All those opt outs coming back (the league high 7) adds at least another win to that total.

It takes time to build. I really wouldn't write off Darth Hoodie till year +5 after Brady.

The average team takes 3 years to turnaround into the playoffs. They look to be on that pace.
    Yeah, a lot of folks forgot how many starters on the Patriots' defense opted out this year. I keep reminding them that they by far led the league in that. They haven't fallen as far as you would believe.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Yeah, a lot of folks forgot how many starters on the Patriots' defense opted out this year. I keep reminding them that they by far led the league in that. They haven't fallen as far as you would believe.
    Plus the team really needs to put some offensive pieces around Newton if they really want things to improve. Your best receiver shouldn't be an undrafted free agent unless he really wows everyone, and Jakobi Myers looks to be a good role player more than anyone to really fear.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Plus the team really needs to put some offensive pieces around Newton if they really want things to improve. Your best receiver shouldn't be an undrafted free agent unless he really wows everyone, and Jakobi Myers looks to be a good role player more than anyone to really fear.
    N'Keal Harry hasn't been able to stay healthy, but if he is, that kid shows promise as at least a solid #2 receiver. They just need to snag a deep threat, and there's folks like Golladay and Shuster available in free agency.

I heard Boston area sports talk. The Newton deal is 3.5 million guaranteed, more if he plays. The 14 million is only if he wins the Superbowl. So it is actually basic back up money. Darth Hoodie is still looking for a QB.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

With 2021 likely gonna be a trying year in Chiefs land with offensive line and defense issues ....this video brings up how one game changed the entire destinies of the Chiefs and NY Jets. It was from 2011...

- Its amazing that this game altered the destiny of Kansas City so much. Like a chain reaction ; Clark Hunt fired Todd Haley for how the Chiefs had gotten so many penalties and how up/down the team was in 2011. The fact Haley got a 15 yard flag was the clincher he needed to go as well. Then he put Romeo Crennel in charge who went 2-1 and this is where Scott Pioli screwed up...he made Crennel the HC in 2012. Where it led to Andy Reid becoming coach in 2013.

- This game likely led the NY Jets into a false sense of security. The team had been a run 1st geared team with big defense. But this game was a turning point as they tried to go to more with Sanchez. The team was 8-5 heading into the drivers seat to get a wildcard and make the playoffs a 3rd straight season. But as SB pointed out in video....THE WHEELS FELL OFF.

So in the decade that followed KC would make the playoffs a number of times and the NY Jets would spend a decade plus not making playoffs.

- Also the score of this game when this drive happened that changed destinies of both teams .... 28-3.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I heard Boston area sports talk. The Newton deal is 3.5 million guaranteed, more if he plays. The 14 million is only if he wins the Superbowl. So it is actually basic back up money. Darth Hoodie is still looking for a QB.
    In the draft, I'd suspect. If he can't get the 49ers to trade Jimmy G out of desperation, he might be looking for a signal caller in the draft.

I suspect if that money isn't for another QB, this move still leaves the Pats with a lot of cap room to make some noise here later this week.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

So I watched a Rich Eisen clip and Peter King discussed how Carson Wentz attitude led to talking himself outta town last off season. That in years past teams would draft a 2nd rd QB to develop behind a starter. In terms of twice it happened in the last decade where Tom Brady watched New England draft Jimmy Garappolo. Brady just went about his business not letting it showed he cared. Then we had Aaron Rogers watch where Green Bay drafted Jordan Love and how Rogers said he was the starter and responded with MVP year.

Meanwhile Wentz didn't keep his feelings to himself and reports were he was wanting out after that draft was done.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    So I watched a Rich Eisen clip and Peter King discussed how Carson Wentz attitude led to talking himself outta town last off season. That in years past teams would draft a 2nd rd QB to develop behind a starter. In terms of twice it happened in the last decade where Tom Brady watched New England draft Jimmy Garappolo. Brady just went about his business not letting it showed he cared. Then we had Aaron Rogers watch where Green Bay drafted Jordan Love and how Rogers said he was the starter and responded with MVP year.

Meanwhile Wentz didn't keep his feelings to himself and reports were he was wanting out after that draft was done.
    But, to hear detractors tell it, it was the fans who drove Wentz out of town, a claim that was pure bullshit. I liked Wentz and wanted him to succeed, and I wasn't keen on the Birds drafting a quarterback with their second round pick in 2020 when the team had more pressing needs (especially on the offensive line). It's damned frustrating Wentz wasn't mature enough to handle a rookie behind him on the depth chart which was stupid in itself. Now I find myself hoping Wentz falls flat on his face in Indy, and I hate feeling that way.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

Meanwhile, here in Indy, I'm wondering how much of Wentz we're actually going to see versus whether or not Jacob Eason or someone else is going to get active time per one of the requirements of the trade.