Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Ok. I can agree with that. We'll just hope the Rams can pull some magic out of their hat before the window completely closes. There are several wild cards at work here as well, like how their draftees work out. I'm just glad the Rams chose this strategy instead of the tanking strategy, you know?
    The excitement is now... with the risk being that the same pain of tanking will occur later if things blow up, arguably worse because you’re not benefitting from them.

It’s a situation fun to watch when you’re not involved.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    When you look at how they waste what 1st round picks they've had... it almost makes sense to just trade for a 2-3 year rental on a Pro-Bowler an keep in "win now" mode.

The problem is, "win now" is just getting them back into the playoffs, and not winning the whole thing.
    George Allen with Washington in 1970's believed a lot in this approach. As I posted he'd live with trading away draft picks for veterans and yes the team went to 1 Super Bowl and lost. Then the team struggled to make it past the divisional rounds in the 1970's. Its a real close comparison to what were seeing play out with LA Rams right now.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Marty Schottenheimer in stable condition after being moved to hospice center:

https://www.nfl.com/news/marty-schot...hospice-center
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Marty Schottenheimer in stable condition after being moved to hospice center:

https://www.nfl.com/news/marty-schot...hospice-center
    Perhaps one of the greatest coaches who never won a Super Bowl. Who at every stop in NFL turned teams around. Marty was just that good a coach. He knew how to get his players to win and there was a love from his players.

So sad to hear about this one.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

In shocking rumors its being said Andrew Luck maybe looking at returning to football after 2 seasons away. No one is taking it serious for now but the rumor is a text he sent may have hinted at a return. The Colts are in a major spot as they need a future QB. With Rivers retiring the team likely is looking at Wentz and others possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    In shocking rumors its being said Andrew Luck maybe looking at returning to football after 2 seasons away. No one is taking it serious for now but the rumor is a text he sent may have hinted at a return. The Colts are in a major spot as they need a future QB. With Rivers retiring the team likely is looking at Wentz and others possibly.
    Luck was never Manning or Favre.

Stay home, kid.

Your family needs you in once piece.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Would Luck have to pass a psych eval to come back, for the team that would be interested? As I recall his reasons for retiring mostly seemed mental. Wonder if he has just had time to heal while away or if he actually had counseling for whatever was bothering him.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Why would Luck want to do that? Considering what he went through and what led him to retire, coming back makes no sense. If he wants to get back into football, he could go into coaching or become a TV talking head, taking the field again would be foolish.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

As an indicator to some that he will be retiring Drew Brees has renegotiated his contract with the Saints so that his 2021 salary will be reduced from $25 million to the veterans minimum of $1.075 million, allowing the Saints to carry less dead money if he does retire. Waiting to June 1st to file the retirement papers will also allow the Saints to spread the dead money hit over 2 years instead of one.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I mean even if he does want to come back who would really role thew dice on a Qb who has not played a game or practiced in two season and whose head is not really in the game?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I mean even if he does want to come back who would really role thew dice on a Qb who has not played a game or practiced in two season and whose head is not really in the game?
    As an update Irsay has said Luck's not coming back. He is more retired than he was in 2019. So its over for him basically.

BANNED

Perhaps one of the greatest coaches who never won a Super Bowl. Who at every stop in NFL turned teams around. Marty was just that good a coach. He knew how to get his players to win and there was a love from his players.
    He sucked.

"Perhaps one of the greatest coaches who never won a Super Bowl."

Are you fucking kidding me?!? NONE of the teams he coached ever got to PLAY in a Super Bowl, let alone win or lose one. Christ, that's like saying Steve Mariucci is one of the greatest coaches to never win a Super Bowl.

"Who at every stop turned teams around."

GORSH YOU SURE ARE RIGHT!!!! Especially when he took the Redskins to the Super Bowl!!! Oh wait, that NEVER HAPPENED.

"There was a love from his players."

Oh Christ, not this cliche bullshit garbage again.

The NFL is a BUSINESS.

There are MULTIPLE players on EVERY team who are disliked/loathed not just by their teammates but the coaching staff as well.

Schottenheimer was one of those coaches that could build you up into a contender but couldn't' get you over the hump in the playoffs. He very much did not suck, he just wasn't one of the greats because he couldn't run it all the way through.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpLutz View Post
    He sucked.
    Lets see....became coach of Cleveland and had them in within a guy fumbling at the 2-3 yard line on a winning drive to put a game away in AFC Championship.

His record in Cleveland : 44-27 - 3 straight AFC Central division titles , 2 heart breaking losses in AFC Championship to John Elway in that span. Never had a losing season in Cleveland.
    His record in Kansas City : 101-58-1 : 3 AFC West Divsion titles , 7 playoff appearances (with heart break as well).
    His record in Washington : 8-8
    His record in San Diego : 47-33 : 2 AFC West division titles : More playoff heartbreak.

Now go look at the Browns , Chiefs and Chargers in that span before Marty arrived. All these teams sucked. SUCKED HARD. Marty came in and just turned the culture around. In KC the Chiefs hadn't won their division since 1971. They had only been in playoffs 3 times from 1972 to 1988. Marty changed that culture and made the Chiefs a 90's force in regular season. San Diego was in same boat as was Cleveland. Those teams he came into he changed things for them.

"Perhaps one of the greatest coaches who never won a Super Bowl."

Are you fucking kidding me?!? NONE of the teams he coached ever got to PLAY in a Super Bowl, let alone win or lose one. Christ, that's like saying Steve Mariucci is one of the greatest coaches to never win a Super Bowl.
    I'd advise you go look up history of the game. Then make this statement. Marty's teams always made the playoffs and then tragedy would hit. Byner would fumble near his endzone , Elway would get a big drive , Brees would hurt his shoulder. Its like each time the poor man had a curse hit. He was way better than your comparison.
    "Who at every stop turned teams around."

GORSH YOU SURE ARE RIGHT!!!! Especially when he took the Redskins to the Super Bowl!!! Oh wait, that NEVER HAPPENED.
    He was replaced after a 8-8 1st season for a worse coach (Steve Spurrior). And what happened ....he went to San Diego and turned that damn team around ! YEAHHH SEE WHAT HAPPENED.Spurrior was replaced 2-3 seasons later after sucking.

"There was a love from his players."

Oh Christ, not this cliche bullshit garbage again.

The NFL is a BUSINESS.

There are MULTIPLE players on EVERY team who are disliked/loathed not just by their teammates but the coaching staff as well.
    Oh look its the "The NFL IS A BUSINESS" horse **** some fans spew. Many coaches are loved by their players. They become close. Lombardi's former players , many of them cried over his passing. Pull up clips of Marty beside his players. There are clips where he sits beside a very hurt Derrick Thomas after a bad play where Marty is literally talking to him like a father would. That was his effect on players. When Joe Montana decided on a weaker Chiefs team to join in 1993 (he had a better offense and team with Cardinals who had Clark and Phroel at WR) he said he liked Marty Schottenheimer and it weighed more in his decision.

Yes its crazy to think players will like their coaches after Belichick and the whole "business" garbage some cite. But there are many who grow close to them and stick for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Schottenheimer was one of those coaches that could build you up into a contender but couldn't' get you over the hump in the playoffs. He very much did not suck, he just wasn't one of the greats because he couldn't run it all the way through.
    He would get cursed at weird moments. The Byner fumble , the drive , the Brees injury one year. Marty was a great coach in regular season. His teams always was in playoffs and winning the division. Its just ...playoffs would hit and these insane curses would hit his teams. Great coach...terrible playoff curse.

I detailed how bad KC was before Marty arrived. Lets look at Washington , Cleveland and San Diego ...

- Washington had only made playoffs 1 time (1999) with Norv Turner winning division then. He was fired after a losing record next season. In fact Washington had 3 seasons above 500 ball in 90's under Turner. But was over paying insane amounts for free agents. (Dana Stubblefield etc) . After Marty the team collapsed under Spurrier. Joe Gibbs came outta retirement to try and save the team as we saw where they won more.

- San Diego hadn't made the playoffs since 1995. It took Marty 2 seasons to get the Chargers back into winning division and playoffs. Chargers went through 4 coaches from 1995-2001.

- Cleveland had won its division once in 1980 and made 2 playoff appearances from 1973-1984.

He coached those teams around. They weren't going anywhere really before he came to them. San Diego and KC really showed how he could come in and turn the ship around.