Page 40 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, here in Philly, there's talk about the Eagles, who moved down from #6 to #12 are angling to move BACK into the top 10, so yeah, the rumors are running rampant and will only get worse as the Draft draws closer.
    Detroit's rumored to be a seller almost everywhere I'm looking. Atlanta, somewhat. I've seen a couple with Denver trading down because they have too many needs and if someone tries to move on a specific talent, they'd just move back a tad. Chicago will if all the top QBs are gone to stockpile some picks.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ultimate Member

I'm left to wonder what Minnesota will do given that Cousins contract is almost up and I'd rather them not go and get some retread like him again...

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I'm left to wonder what Minnesota will do given that Cousins contract is almost up and I'd rather them not go and get some retread like him again...
    Minnesota hasn't had luck drafting QB's in the 1st and 2nd rd of the draft since 1999. In that span of time this is who they have drafted...

- 1999 : Dante Culpepper (1st rd)
    - 2006 : Tavaris Jackson (2nd rd)
    - 2011 : Christian Ponder (1st rd)
    - 2014: Teddy Bridgewater (1st rd)

A big reason Cousins was signed is because the team has watched themselves in the 2010's miss twice on QB's in the 1st rd. Personally I wouldn't keep Cousins because honestly...he's not worth that huge contract and they'd be better off trying to get one of these QB's. But they have messed up QB wise a few times in the last 20+ years.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Bengals unveil their new uniforms...

https://www.nfl.com/news/cincinnati*...l-new-uniforms

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

-M
    Oops! "Bengals" got the CBR asterisk treatment when you posted the link. I went to the news link on NFL.com and found the story. As for the uniforms, they look cool!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

-M
    Oops! "Bengals" got the CBR asterisk treatment when you posted the link. I went to the news link on NFL.com and found the story. As for the uniforms, they look cool!
    They area nice blend of old and new.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Just saw on ESPN's NFL page that QB Alex Smith has announced his retirement after 16 seasons. With winning the Comeback Player of the Year award last year, he proved to everyone and himself he could still do it, and I think with that done he began to ask if he should keep doing it, and the answer was no. Good for him though going out on his own terms and I hope he enjoys his retirement and whatever other career paths he chooses (coaching most likely but who knows).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Just saw on ESPN's NFL page that QB Alex Smith has announced his retirement after 16 seasons. With winning the Comeback Player of the Year award last year, he proved to everyone and himself he could still do it, and I think with that done he began to ask if he should keep doing it, and the answer was no. Good for him though going out on his own terms and I hope he enjoys his retirement and whatever other career paths he chooses (coaching most likely but who knows).

-M
    I'm happy Smith decided to call it a career. If he wants to stay in the game, he could coach or become a studio talking head on ESPN, NFL Network, FOX or CBS.

Needs to go join Reid's staff and he'll get his chance to move into a big coaching role as Reid's coaches usually get elevated up to head coaches as we see. Smith claims he was debating on joining Meyer in Jacksonville to play there. But he likely knew his body needed to go ahead and call it a career. He will always be regarded as a hell of a warrior. 17+ surgeries and came back to play. The next time a player complains about something , people need to point at Alex Smith and say...that guy wanted to prove he could play.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

-M
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    They area nice blend of old and new.
    Y'know, I'll say that given the orange/black color scheme, they look about as good as any Bengals uniform I've seen. If any criticism, the number font makes them look a little too much like Chicago's.

-M
    I'm happy Smith decided to call it a career. If he wants to stay in the game, he could coach or become a studio talking head on ESPN, NFL Network, FOX or CBS.
    I'm glad he'll still be able to walk, given all he's been through.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

We also have to remember....Smith gambled with surgeries at the end. He was told if one of those later surgeries failed he may not walk right at all. I mean ...that is some balls people. To risk it and say , lets do this surgery and see if I can make it back.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    We also have to remember....Smith gambled with surgeries at the end. He was told if one of those later surgeries failed he may not walk right at all. I mean ...that is some balls people. To risk it and say , lets do this surgery and see if I can make it back.
    For the love of the game indeed. I'm glad he took his shot, then successfully walked away. The rest of his life is more important than a career.

Needs to go join Reid's staff and he'll get his chance to move into a big coaching role as Reid's coaches usually get elevated up to head coaches as we see. Smith claims he was debating on joining Meyer in Jacksonville to play there. But he likely knew his body needed to go ahead and call it a career. He will always be regarded as a hell of a warrior. 17+ surgeries and came back to play. The next time a player complains about something , people need to point at Alex Smith and say...that guy wanted to prove he could play.
    Smith said he wants to hang out with his kids a lot and take long walks with his wife.

I don't think he has the desire to coach.

He's a good looking man, I could see him on TV, though.

But he did say in his letter he had no desire to come back to football. He wants to be with his family.

After watching the documentary on him battling back from the exploded shin, he more than deserves a quite retirement.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Minnesota hasn't had luck drafting QB's in the 1st and 2nd rd of the draft since 1999. In that span of time this is who they have drafted...

- 1999 : Dante Culpepper (1st rd)
    - 2006 : Tavaris Jackson (2nd rd)
    - 2011 : Christian Ponder (1st rd)
    - 2014: Teddy Bridgewater (1st rd)

A big reason Cousins was signed is because the team has watched themselves in the 2010's miss twice on QB's in the 1st rd. Personally I wouldn't keep Cousins because honestly...he's not worth that huge contract and they'd be better off trying to get one of these QB's. But they have messed up QB wise a few times in the last 20+ years.
    So I read this and then looked up who Minnesota missed out on during those draft years. QBs who went higher or were considered to be better prospects. Gotta say - not sure they could have done better than they did in those years. Here are other QBs names from those years, who went higher than the Minnesota pick.

1999: Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, and Akili Smith.
    2006: Vince Young, Matt Leinhert, and Jay Cutler.
    2011: Cam Newton, Jake Locker, and Blaine Gabbert.
    2014: Blake Bortles and Johnny Manziel.

They would have done better with a McNabb or Newton, of course. But Cousins is better than the rest of those guys. The talking heads are saying the team will pick its next "QB of the future" in this upcoming draft. I'm not convinced it is a good idea, considering Minnesota's typical luck and the fact that so many teams are looking for QBs this time.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

2006: Jay Cutler.
    Is Kirk Cousins better than Jay Cutler? Neither has ever set the league on fire, or even warmed it up but I feel Smokin' would have had a better season with the most recent teams Cousins had. Granted Cousins lost Diggs and uh, the running back. and losses on the defense, hmm.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.