Page 61 of 90 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Adam Vinatieri is officially retiring.

AAAA1st7.jpg

Man, I remember the mania that swept over me as this kick went through the uprights...

Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

24 seasons is a hell of a run but the writing seemed to be on the wall after 2019 that Vinatieri needed to call it a career after 24 seasons of football. He had accomplished so much and will likely be in Hall of Fame in 2025. I don't think anyone can debate he doesn't deserve the nod.

- Only kicker in NFL history with 250+ FG's with 2 teams. (336 Colts , 263 Patriots)
    - #1 ranked in points as a kicker with 2,673 total (the closest one is Morton Anderson who had 2,544)
    - Most FG's with 599
    - Most consective FG's (44 from 2015-2016)
    - Most seasons with 100+ points (21).
    - Most playoff points with 238
    - Most consecutive games scoring at 32.

As much as he accomplished with Colts , he likely will go into Hall as a Patriot given he won 3 Super Bowls with the team and made the biggest kick in their history then.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

His son is busy breaking his HS records as a kicker, punter, and MLB at the age of 17.

Probably going to be another Iceman Vinny in the NFL before we know it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

There are at present, only four placekickers in Canton:

Morten Andersen: 1982-2007
    George Blanda (Also QB): 1949-1958, 1960-1975
    Lou Groza (Also T): 1946-1959, 1961-1967
    Jan Stenerud: 1967-1985

There's no doubt Vinatieri will join them in 2025.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

No doubt at all, he is a HoFer as soon as he is eligible. Look at the company he is in!

I seriously thought no one would break Anderson's records back when
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The latest on Julio is that the teams that are on are now only offering a R2 and/or R3 and/or R2 now, R3 later.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

I think it's fine for a team like the Titans to roll the dice on offering what would likely be a late 1st, they may be one player away (and losing Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith is going to hurt a bit). Not sure when the next time the Rams are picking in the 1st, but if they can get away with a 2024/25 1st Rounder they should do it. My Patriots are in rebuild mode, and will be lucky to be a one-and-done in the playoffs. We're better off extending our CBs (Gilmore and Jackson) and trying to trade for a decent (but not formerly earth-shattering) and cheaper/younger WR from another team mid-season if we are competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I think it's fine for a team like the Titans to roll the dice on offering what would likely be a late 1st, they may be one player away (and losing Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith is going to hurt a bit). Not sure when the next time the Rams are picking in the 1st, but if they can get away with a 2024/25 1st Rounder they should do it. My Patriots are in rebuild mode, and will be lucky to be a one-and-done in the playoffs. We're better off extending our CBs (Gilmore and Jackson) and trying to trade for a decent (but not formerly earth-shattering) and cheaper/younger WR from another team mid-season if we are competitive.
    ESPN reported earlier today they have received at least one offer that included a 1st rounder and that the Titans are a longshot to land Jones. But again it's ESPN, and the accuracy of their "reporting" is spotty at best and their insiders are off the mark more often than they are on. So it's really wait and see. I doubt any of the talking heads at ESPN or other networks and sites have any more clue what is really going on than we do. Even if a deal is done, it's going to be a post-June 1 transaction, so they may delay an announcement until after this holiday weekend to make sure it gets the coverage in the news cycle of a weekday announcement vs. a weekend story, (and a holiday weekend one is even worse).

A big factor besides the return for Atlanta is if the trade partner wants them to cover some of Jones salary, since their major need right now is salary cap relief, and they may have to take less in return to not have to at part of Jones cap hit by covering a portion of his salary, so even if they got an offer with a 1st rounder, it might not work for them financially.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Well, now the talking heads are predicting Seattle as the odds on favorite for Jones. For a 2nd rounder and conditional 4th rounder. Seattle also has the available cap space.

Perhaps trying to lure Wilson into being happier to stay? He was talking about the need for a burner like Jones.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well, now the talking heads are predicting Seattle as the odds on favorite for Jones. For a 2nd rounder and conditional 4th rounder. Seattle also has the available cap space.

Perhaps trying to lure Wilson into being happier to stay? He was talking about the need for a burner like Jones.
    The list that came out had:
    - Titans
    - Patriots
    - Chargers
    - Raiders
    - Seahawks
    - Cardinals
    - Ravens
    - Colts
    - 49ers
    - Eagles
    - Rams
    - Panthers
    - Bears
    - Broncos
    - Packers
    - Jags
    - Saints
    - Vikings
    - Washington

With the Titans, Patriots, & Chargers being listed as the most aggressive and most likely.

Rams have been reported that they are OUT of the Jones hunt but the Steelers, Browns, Panthers now in the hunt.

Most analysts are pretty convinced he's going to the Patriots, Titans, Chargers in that order of likelihood.
    -
    -

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

If Jones wants to win the big prize, a.k.a., a Super Bowl, then coming here to Philly makes no sense as the Eagles are, for all intent and purposes, rebuilding and figure to be no better than a six or seven win team in 2021.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Normally a team tries to trade a player out of the conference they are in. Like a NFC team tries to trade a player to a AFC team. Its very rare we see trades within a conference or even a division. I mean the Falcons could shock us and trade him to Seahawks.

I do think Titans will be the team that gets Jones. As they are a step below the Buffalo Bills , KC Chiefs etc right now. And a big WR target to pair with Brown and Henry would make them a threat offensively.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

I think the Packers, Titans, Raiders, Rams (whatever they're saying currently), and now that I look at that list the Colts (going to have a lot of money next year) make the most sense. I really hope my Patriots don't, and as I really wanted Justin Fields or anyone but Mac Jones I feel like I'm karmically entitled to avoid this (joke). Please, please, please just extend our CBs so we don't have to try and fail again for 10 years drafting ones that come close.

The thing with Jones is that over half the league is interested in him because he's a first ballot HoFer with plenty in the tank.

Nearly any team that snags him will be a contender, perhaps even a SB contender if they have the right other pieces.

BANNED

We probably don't have a QB, so we're not one of those teams. And there's things I'd much rather have on the team than an aging Hall-of-Famer, however much he has in the tank (and I'm not so sure there's plenty). Guys like that hit the wall usually around this age. And he has 3 years on the contract. It makes sense for a team with the cap space who's close. I just don't think that's the Patriots at this moment in history. A couple of years ago? I'm super excited. Visions of a seventh ring dancing in my eyes. Today? Think maybe, if he's healthy, wins us an extra game but not a playoff game. I think he's been a great and exciting player and I hope whoever pays up for him enjoys his services and he sells a lot of jerseys (if the football gods are kind, at least a couple more than Tebow). Just hope they're not Patriots jerseys. With 1st Round picks possibly in play here I think we're safely out. I hope.