Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Future State confusion

I've been reading all the Future state titles, and personally, I'm not a huge fan.

I think my biggest issue is how confusing it is.

Is it set in the same timeframe within the same universe? Or are all the stories Elseworlds.

None of them seem to match up. For instance in Teen Titans Nightwing is written like a completely different character than he is in his own title. For one thing, his costume is completely different and so's his attitude.

Same with Superman. In Justice League Jon's wearing a cape but in his own title he isn't.

And have they actually said how far into the future they've actually gone? None of the characters seem to have aged signficantly.

Spectacular Member

different titles, different times

Astonishing Member

Is it set in the same timeframe within the same universe? Or are all the stories Elseworlds.
    It's possible future, one of many. In fact, you can think of it as Elseworld for now. But at the same time, the elements of the Future State (Magistrate, Tim Fox, Yara Flor, the new Suicide Squad, Titans Academy, Red-X) will go into the main canon. Think of this as a teaser of what future writing teams are doing.
    None of them seem to match up. For instance in Teen Titans Nightwing is written like a completely different character than he is in his own title. For one thing, his costume is completely different and so's his attitude.
    These series take place at different time intervals. Titans Academy is taking place after his own title.

As the others have said, different times. But that doesn't necessarily mean the ones that should be happening at the same time match their stories up perfectly.

Here is the timeline:

2025: Arkham Knights, Batgirls, Batman/Superman, Batman Catwoman, Gotham City Sirens, Harley Quinn, Grifters, Nightwing, Outsiders, Red Hood, Robin Eternal
    2027: Dark Detective, The Flash, Teen Titans
    2029: Shazam!
    2030: Aquaman, Black Racer, Justice League Dark, Metropolis Midnighter, Mister Miracle, Suicide Squad, Superman of Metropolis, Superman: Worlds of War, Nubia
    2035: The Last Lantern
    2040: Justice League
    2050: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman, Yara Flor, Superman Vs. Imperius Lex, Superman/Wonder Woman
    3000: House of El, Legion of Super-Heroes
    4500: Swamp Thing
    82,020: Black Adam
    The End of Time: Immortal Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    . . . Here is the timeline:

2025: Arkham Knights, Batgirls, Batman/Superman, Batman Catwoman, Gotham City Sirens, Harley Quinn, Grifters, Nightwing, Outsiders, Red Hood, Robin Eternal
    2030: Aquaman, Black Racer, Justice League Dark, Metropolis Midnighter, Mister Miracle, Suicide Squad, Superman of Metropolis, Superman: Worlds of War, Nubia
    2050: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman, Yara Flor, Superman Vs. Imperius Lex, Superman/Wonder Woman
    I thought the DC Nation Presents Future State freebie that was released back towards the beginning of December had Superman/Wonder Woman set in 2070?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought the DC Nation Presents Future State freebie that was released back towards the beginning of December had Superman/Wonder Woman set in 2070?
    Yeah, you're right. My mistake.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    As the others have said, different times. But that doesn't necessarily mean the ones that should be happening at the same time match their stories up perfectly.

Here is the timeline:

Just out of curiosity, where did you get this info?

Quote Originally Posted by parrtothepeople View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where did you get this info?
    DC put it out in DC Nation Presents in December.

This is the digital DC Nation Presents Future State

https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/466769

I don't understand why they didn't place Next Batman on the timeline graphic. When the hell is it supposed to take place? I know it's somewhere between 2025 and 2040, but they could have established a specific year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't understand why they didn't place Next Batman on the timeline graphic. When the hell is it supposed to take place? I know it's somewhere between 2025 and 2040, but they could have established a specific year.
    I'm pretty sure Batman in 2025 is The Next Batman. they probably shortened it because of how many events take place that year.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

Im a little confused.I think the last page of Death Metel when Wonder-woman and her past self went in the big light and somehow ended on a new world.And Generations Shattered tales how the white light changes things .Futerstate is all new superheros Are now taking the place of the current supererheros like Superman with Jon and so on.But what Happened to the old. Like in Immortal wonder woman why did wonder woman saw that bruse was dead but in the Batman dark Detecive you see him running being huted,All in all I thing the Future state is great.Also what of the Batman of the past in Detective 1027

Quote Originally Posted by parrtothepeople View Post
    I've been reading all the Future state titles, and personally, I'm not a huge fan.

I think my biggest issue is how confusing it is.

Same with Superman. In Justice League Jon's wearing a cape but in his own title he isn't.

And have they actually said how far into the future they've actually gone? None of the characters seem to have aged signficantly.
    Setting them at the same time would have been better for all sorts of reasons but the biggest is that it would have made the event a hundred times more compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    A casual fan or a new reader (the demographic they’d most like to reach) wouldn’t even know to look for this unnecessarily complicated document. Even fans that love these characters enough to post about comics on this forum are confused. Personally I have to reference that timeline at least twice each issue and that takes me out of these stories constantly. It really didn’t have to be this way.