All-New Member

Default Millarword Annual 2016 (not a Kick-Ass cover) Making of American Jesus: Undeath

I'm trying to understand more about this issue. But whenever I google for this, I always end up with the Kick-Ass cover issue, not this one. I can't find this on the internet at all. The back cover does say 145 / 150. So perhaps there are only 150 copies of this signed by Steve Beach? Anyone familiar with this?
    Millarworld (2016) Annual 2016 Making of AJ cover. Signed by Steve Beach 145 of 150 VF-.jpg

Can't help definitively, but I think I found a solid lead:
    Millarworld Annual are/were yearly compilations of short stories written & drawn by industry newcomers. Basically Mark Millar's company (also called Millarworld, Netflix absorbed it a while ago) hosts a talent hunt, and the winners get to publish ~5 page stories using his creations, such as Chrononauts, Kick-Ass, etc.
    Top Cow Productions, a subsidiary of Image Comics (both of whom Millar has extensively worked with) has a similar annual tradition for their properties, like Cyberforce, Aphrodite IX, etc.

Unfortunately I can't easily find any documentation on this particular Variant Cover, but Mark Millar's comics often have several alternate covers per issue, which they try to market as collector's items. The solicit for this issue does too (bolding mine):
    Quote Originally Posted by Solicitation Millarworld Annual 2016
    The first MILLARWORLD ANNUAL—the result of an international creator search seeking the best new writers and artists to tackle MARK MILLAR's extensive library of hit characters. From Kick-Ass to CHRONONAUTS, they're all here in this instant collector's item.
    So here's where speculation comes in, but I assume they offered several (or all?) of the creators a small 150 print run of Variant Covers to sell at conventions/signings/etc. Looks like there were at least three July 2016 events where Steve Beach & Cliff Bumgardner signed issues of this Annual:
    millarworld 2016.jpg
    (Click to zoom)

Whether these were indeed sold at that press tour, or how many were signed for that matter I can't say for sure. However, I think you've got both signatures on there, not just the artist's (the scribble looks like a "C B" - Cliff Bumgardner to me). So I think it's plausible this issue was signed at/for that press tour, since the creators seem to live in different States - and they'd be in one place for that press tour.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

All-New Member

Thank you for the info

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Can't help definitively, but I think I found a solid lead:
    Millarworld Annual are/were yearly compilations of short stories written & drawn by industry newcomers. Basically Mark Millar's company (also called Millarworld, Netflix absorbed it a while ago) hosts a talent hunt, and the winners get to publish ~5 page stories using his creations, such as Chrononauts, Kick-Ass, etc.
    Top Cow Productions, a subsidiary of Image Comics (both of whom Millar has extensively worked with) has a similar annual tradition for their properties, like Cyberforce, Aphrodite IX, etc.

Unfortunately I can't easily find any documentation on this particular Variant Cover, but Mark Millar's comics often have several alternate covers per issue, which they try to market as collector's items. The solicit for this issue does too (bolding mine):

So here's where speculation comes in, but I assume they offered several (or all?) of the creators a small 150 print run of Variant Covers to sell at conventions/signings/etc. Looks like there were at least three July 2016 events where Steve Beach & Cliff Bumgardner signed issues of this Annual:
    millarworld 2016.jpg
    (Click to zoom)

Whether these were indeed sold at that press tour, or how many were signed for that matter I can't say for sure. However, I think you've got both signatures on there, not just the artist's (the scribble looks like a "C B" - Cliff Bumgardner to me). So I think it's plausible this issue was signed at/for that press tour, since the creators seem to live in different States - and they'd be in one place for that press tour.

Astonishing Member

That's a "behind the scenes" look at the American Jesus story. I believe it has Cliff's script, and some design and b/w pages of Steve's art. Cliff and Steve printed them and took them to cons and shops and stuff for signing.

It is not the actual annual, it's supplementary material for one of the stories in the annual.

Pretty cool item, I think!