Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

Default Who's Joined the Big 9?

Since the Silver Age, there have been nine titles that are continuously published, with no more than a few years break at the most between relaunches:

FF, Spidey, Avengers, Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Daredevil, and X-Men

Since then, Wolverine has joined those titles brining it up to 10.

I'm wondering, which other characters or teams have become 'must-publish' books for Marvel? What books are Marvel expected to publish now, that we take for granted? Are perhaps either Ms. Marvel, Miles Spidey, X-Force, Black Panther, Cap Marvel, or Guardians (or all of them) getting to that point? Have I missed any book you think has joined the big leaduges, or is there a one I listed you definitely don't think has made the big leagues? Curious to hear people's thoughts.
    Last edited by DetectiveStrange; 01-28-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Deadpool, I'd say.
    Venom may be going there too, unless people (hopefully) grow tired of Marvel milking them and the symbiotes.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Deadpool, I'd say.
    Venom may be going there too, unless people (hopefully) grow tired of Marvel milking them and the symbiotes.
    I'd agree. Not only because how many ongoings thy have had, but also because they proved they can sell really, really well.

Captain Marvel definitely has, they kept relaunching it, until finally hitting success with current writer Kelly Thompson. I'd say Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, and Guardians of the Galaxy as well.

And probably Champions, considering the trouble they went to to get control of the name. Since it started in October 2016, it's only had two hiatuses - four months after Zub's run ended (Nov 19 to Feb 20) while they got Outlawed planned, and then six months almost immediately afterwards (they got the Outlawed #1 issue out in March but the new Champions #1 was delayed from April to October) which was unavoidable due to COVID-19.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Hopefully Black Panther can reach that status. I really loved Coates last two runs. Spider-Woman and She-Hulk have that potential too.

Fantastic Member

The long-term Big 9 books are really the bedrock of the Marvel Universe, all created in a three year period.

I always felt that Doctor Strange, The Sub Mariner and the Silver Surfer SHOULD have joined that elite group based on their publishing history / positions in the MU.
    (Coincidentally, all original Defenders!)

Hard to say if Guardians, Black Panther and Captain Marvel are long-term (spanning at last 20 years) contenders or just decade blips based on the MCU craze and cultural pushes.

I will have to look up how scientific is the big "9" but if we are talking about books that Marvel won't stop publishing that isn't a part of those books then the answer is Deadpool, Venom, and surprise surprise "Punisher". No matter how bad Punisher is Marvel seems to bring him back pretty quick.

Stuff that is close that now Black Panther, Guardians of Galaxy, Miles and Captain Marvel. Ms. Marvel while important isn't there yet and the Champions franchise is the reason why I can say that I believe if Ms. Marvel struggles and the Champions book is still around they would let the Ms. Marvel solo go. Marvel badly wants the Champions to work it could make it to the list as well.

Lastly, a prediction/projection without books being around Blade and Magik is going to be a consideration in the future.

Fantastic Member

A big consideration is the continuation of those split-books that morphed into long-term series in early 1968.

Tales to Astonish split into Incredible Hulk (#102 - still going); Submariner lasted 72 issues;
    Tales of Suspense split into Captain America (#100 - still going); Iron Man #1 (still going);
    Strange Tales split into Doctor Strange (#169 - lasted 15 issues); Nick Fury - SHIELD #1 (lasted 18 issues)
    Journey into Mystery turned into Thor (#126 - ongoing)

Once these books were set, nothing major was cancelled (with the famous exception of X-Men) till Thor in 1996, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    The long-term Big 9 books are really the bedrock of the Marvel Universe, all created in a three year period.
    All except Captain America, who was a golden age revival.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post
    Since the Silver Age, there have been nine titles that are continuously published, with no more than a few years break at the most between relaunches:

FF, Spidey, Avengers, Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Daredevil, and X-Men

Since then, Wolverine has joined those titles brining it up to 10.

I'm wondering, which other characters or teams have become 'must-publish' books for Marvel? What books are Marvel expected to publish now, that we take for granted? Are perhaps either Ms. Marvel, Miles Spidey, X-Force, Black Panther, Cap Marvel, or Guardians (or all of them) getting to that point? Have I missed any book you think has joined the big leaduges, or is there a one I listed you definitely don't think has made the big leagues? Curious to hear people's thoughts.
    The "Big 9" have the magic of having been the superhero framework for Marvel's Silver Age when they were limited in the number of books they could publish. Like DC's trinity, I'm not sure it's fair to place any more recent publication in that group. The idea of "Must Publish" is one that has merit, though. And evn then, of the nine, both FF and Thor have has fairly lengthy hiatuses. Iron Man and Daredevil both has periods where they were dropped to bi-monthly scheduling. But still, who has the chops to be considered a fairly consistant book is a concept that has merit.

Wolverine's pretty obvious. I'd also think Captain Marvel (Carol) and Black Panther are books Marvel would lean towards continuing while even on life support.

While X-Men is mentioned, I might go so far as to also suggest Excalibur.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I would also echo others that Wolverine (definitely), Deadpool and Venom are becoming mainstays. It would be good to see Black Panther join that group but it does of recent seem to be waning in popularity. Guardians of the Galaxy at times seems to be on its way to joining the group but suffers instability. The movies have helped it a ton. I feel titles such as Captain Marvel and the Champions have been artificially kept alive and at times are presented in such a way to make us believe as if they were already among the established greats but are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I would also echo others that Wolverine (definitely), Deadpool and Venom are becoming mainstays. It would be good to see Black Panther join that group but it does of recent seem to be waning in popularity. Guardians of the Galaxy at times seems to be on its way to joining the group but suffers instability. The movies have helped it a ton. I feel titles such as Captain Marvel and the Champions have been artificially kept alive and at times are presented in such a way to make us believe as if they were already among the established greats but are not.
    The "artificially kept alive" observation may be an accurate comment, but it's really nothing new for Marvel. X-Men had a run where it was a reprint book and that seems to be heavy duty life support. SHIELD and Dr Strange (in the last few issues of volume 1 Strange Tales) also had reprint runs. Unlike Marvel's Greatest Comics, Marvel tales and other reprint books, these did not feature a series that was still being published as new stories.

BANNED

the only big 9 I KNOW, is GIRLS GENERATION.... so in this case jessica I GUESS

Guardians of the Galaxy.