Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I thought HB was owned by WB, just like DC, and now they are all owned by ATT&T.
    It's fairly common practice for a large company like Warner Brothers to give its individual divisions autonomy with an internal transfer rate meant to mimic the sort of deal that they would make with an external company. This is typically discounted a bit compared to an external company but it's to keep those divisions able to make the most financially beneficial decisions and so that they can best judge the profitability of each division. The chances of Marvel, for example, licensing the Flintstones from WB may be very low, but they can always bid against DC's internal transfer rate (as well as other parts of the contract, such as making sure the comics aren't too dark, for example)

This is also why Cartoon Network decided that many of their DC comics cartoons weren't profitable enough for them but DC Universe could give Young Justice a third and fourth season

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    It's fairly common practice for a large company like Warner Brothers to give its individual divisions autonomy with an internal transfer rate meant to mimic the sort of deal that they would make with an external company. This is typically discounted a bit compared to an external company but it's to keep those divisions able to make the most financially beneficial decisions and so that they can best judge the profitability of each division. The chances of Marvel, for example, licensing the Flintstones from WB may be very low, but they can always bid against DC's internal transfer rate (as well as other parts of the contract, such as making sure the comics aren't too dark, for example)

This is also why Cartoon Network decided that many of their DC comics cartoons weren't profitable enough for them but DC Universe could give Young Justice a third and fourth season
    Thanks, Thezmage. I did not know this.

I also don't know how this is supposed to work in theory, but I know it doesn't seem to work in practice.

HB hasn't done anything other than Scooby Doo AFAIK. They have many, many more properties that this.

HB and DC should automatically be airing their new cartoons on Cartoon Network; it's good business sense to get your product out there.

I don't see how AT&T can be happy with this. I don't see how DC and HB can be happy with this.

Fantastic Member

I wonder, if we expect to see both Blue Falcon and Dynomutt to guest appear in THE BATMAN AND SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERIES.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Batman / Blue Falcon
    Hawkman / Birdman
    Rex the Wonderdog / Scooby-Doo
    Jakeem Thunder & Thunderbolt / Shazzan
    Wonder Woman / Young Samson
    Global Guardians / Captain Planet and the Planeteers
    Kamandi / Thundarr the Barbarian
    Warlord / Valley of the Dinosaurs
    Warlord / Mightor
    Warlord / Dinoboy
    Mister Miracle / Devlin
    Aquaman / Moby Dick
    Teen Titans / Teen Force
    Atom / Inch High Private Eye
    Space Canine Patrol Agents / Astro and the Space Mutts
    Scare Tactics / Hex Girls
    Doctor Fate (Nabu) / Shazzan
    Doctor Fate / Vincent Van Ghoul
    Deadman / Scooby-Doo
    Deadman / Funky Phantom
    Warlord / Galtar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Thanks, Thezmage. I did not know this.

I also don't know how this is supposed to work in theory, but I know it doesn't seem to work in practice.

HB hasn't done anything other than Scooby Doo AFAIK. They have many, many more properties that this.

HB and DC should automatically be airing their new cartoons on Cartoon Network; it's good business sense to get your product out there.

I don't see how AT&T can be happy with this. I don't see how DC and HB can be happy with this.
    Hannah Barbera appears to have Boomerang to air their cartoons.

AT&T is happy with this because it turns a profit, that's the long and the short of it. Maybe their internal polling is inaccurate or insufficient (or just being sabotaged, what do I know?) but it shows that this is the most profitable situation all around. Every new DC or HB cartoon that shows on CN is 15-30 minutes that they're not showing original programming (usually in the form of a TTG rerun). Hannah Barbera has Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry (although their last DTV movie was in 2017), a Wacky Races series that I think is over now, and collections of old shows that all seem to be selling pretty well through DVD and digital content without necessarily taking up Cartoon Network's time, plus HBO Max (Which is definitely the best run streaming service) airing some of each plus Looney Tunes. Also they made a Flintstones spinoff called Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs in 2019 that hasn't made it's way to the Boomerang app yet but by all accounts the less said the better.

That goes for DC Comics, too. While it's less obvious in print media where time is not a factor, they still have to invest talent and money and other resources into putting out comics that might not be as profitable as yet another Batman ongoing. The internal transfer rate is meant to answer the question "at what point in time does it make sense to make one department less profitable in order for another department to become more?"

For better or for worse, whether right or wrong, AT&T thinks that this arrangement is the most profitable for them. I certainly don't think that they should care about how DC treated their properties as long as fans bought them, but they apparently think that preserving the Flintstones as a monument to toxic masculinity rather than a rather harsh social satire (I think? I didn't really follow that series) for the perhaps inevitable Boom Studios licensing of Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs is a better deal.

Companies are certainly never run perfectly, so I'm not saying any of this is established fact or inviolate, but that's what seems to be happening here according to what I can recall of my finance classes.

Adam Strange & Space Ghost

Fantastic Member

I would like see a BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 100-PAGE SPECIAL (One-shot) which feature the Caped Crusader teaming with the classic Hanna-Barbera super-heroes which includes The Herculoids, Young Samson and Goliath, Birdman, The Galaxy Trio, The Impossibles, and The Swat Kats along with an Elseworlds tale (also include) titled "The Super Friends at the Laff-A-Lympics".

Mighty Member

If The Great Gazoo fought Mr. Myxptlk, who would win?

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    If The Great Gazoo fought Mr. Myxptlk, who would win?
    Maybe Bat-Mite.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe Bat-Mite.
    You're right!

Fantastic Member

Several years ago, I once pitched an idea to Art Baltazar for a DC/Hanna-Barbera mini-series titled ELROY JETSON MEETS THE TINY TITANS.

Fantastic Member

And also several years back (at the DC Comics booth inside SDCC), I pitched to DC an idea for a TEEN TITANS GO SPECIAL #1 (one-shot) with guest starring Yogi Bear along with the classic H-B characters as well.