Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Iconic though the cover homaged there is, it always faintly bugged me that, when it's presented in story as a photo, the Spectre didn't appear as something of a hazy blur. Nothing in canon to back that up, AFIK, just one of those assumptions you make about characters. In my case, that a ghost ought not to photograph so crisply.
    But I think he wasn't just a "ghost". He seemed to be much more than something as simple as that.

(You wouldn't put The Spectre on the same level as Casper, would you?)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But I think he wasn't just a "ghost". He seemed to be much more than something as simple as that.

(You wouldn't put The Spectre on the same level as Casper, would you?)

I've always respected your knowledge of and reverence for the Golden Age. Your tendency to denigrate views other than yours, however, is tiresome. I won't I intrude on your threads again.

I've always respected your knowledge of and reverence for the Golden Age. Your tendency to denigrate views other than yours, however, is tiresome. I won't I intrude on your threads again.
    I'm just saying what makes Spectre just a "ghost"?

And where does it say that ghosts can't be clearly photographed?
    Beyond maybe a personal belief?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm just saying what makes Spectre just a "ghost"?

And where does it say that ghosts can't be clearly photographed?
    Beyond maybe a personal belief?
    I believe the original intention was a ghost, even with religious angles, but he wasn't the full-blown wrath of God until being reinvented later on. Compared to that, pretty much anything is "just" a ghost.

Iconic though the cover homaged there is, it always faintly bugged me that, when it's presented in story as a photo, the Spectre didn't appear as something of a hazy blur. Nothing in canon to back that up, AFIK, just one of those assumptions you make about characters. In my case, that a ghost ought not to photograph so crisply.
    I was all set to lump this with the Dr. Mid-Nite and the Spectre shouldn't be able to join the service as Golden Age silliness. But this is a modern retelling so my initial reaction would have been wrong. But for the Life cover, we have possible explanations. One, the cover was a created picture (drawing or painting). Second, ghosts can be photographed or at least the Spectre could allow himself to be photographed with all of the powers he has. Personally, I'd go with this one.

There are schools of thought that believe spirits can be photographed and that evidence of them can appear as round orbs in photos when they are present. Even if this is the real life situation, it would certainly make for an interesting comic book notion.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Talking about the Spectre, I know why he was basically ignored by tthe 70's All-Star revival. Appearently he'd already moved to Earth-1 (although I do recall an Inspector Corrigan brief appearence), but why was the Atom barely seen? I mean, the Atom had pretty huge presence in the golden age JSA, but in the revival he was featured just in the last story of Levitz's Justice Society in Adventure Comics, and in a flashback story, at that. Other than that, I think he only had a headshot (done by Murphy Anderson, not regular series artist Joe Staton) in All-Star #74, and a couple of Flashback appearences in the intro of the first issue of the JSA's Adventrue Comics short run. Even Sandman, also largely ignored, at least showed up for the Batman's funeral. Does anybody know, why these characters got the short end of the stick?

Peace

Okay so we can all agree that was the modern day JSA line-up we saw in the Stargirl special prelude during Wally's Flash Jump in issue 771 right? Also I guess it's just nice to see Hourman and Liberty Belle/Jessie Quick together again even just for a one-page spread.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Okay so we can all agree that was the modern day JSA line-up we saw in the Stargirl special prelude during Wally's Flash Jump in issue 771 right? Also I guess it's just nice to see Hourman and Liberty Belle/Jessie Quick together again even just for a one-page spread.
    Yes! I find it interesting that Hitch drew that page too.
    For me that's basically confirmation that whatever JSA project comes next, Hitch was on board to draw it before leaving to draw Venom for Marvel.
    I hope Hitch leaving doesn't mean DC's JSA plans got scrapped once again, thought

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Is this the page?

And by "modern day", do you mean the latest, post-Doomsday Clock version?

It does look like Yolanda is Wildcat (just to the right of "Jesse"), but Rick's Hourman outfit isn't the one shown from the Stargirl Spring Break Special scene.

And I don't think we've ever been told (yet) if Yolanda and Beth Chapel have been retconned back into existence / into membership of the Justice Society at some point even before Flashpoint or not.

All the teases seem to confirm that Yolanda and Beth are indeed members of the JSA post Doomsday Clock (Flash is the first comic not written by Johns that makes both of them official members).

Incredible Member

Is this the page?

It does look like Yolanda is Wildcat (just to the right of "Jesse"), but Rick's Hourman outfit isn't the one shown from the Stargirl Spring Break Special scene.

And I don't think we've ever been told (yet) if Yolanda and Beth Chapel have been retconned back into existence / into membership of the Justice Society at some point even before Flashpoint or not.
    Rick was still wearing his old outfit in Doomsday Clock. He probably just hasn't decided to change outfits in universe yet.

Is this the page?

Yeah that’s the page alright
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Looks like Huntress and Earth 2 may be reverted back to smething similar to pre cisis.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Looks like Huntress and Earth 2 may be reverted back to smething similar to pre cisis.
    What makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    What makes you say that?
    I think it is because of the preview Infinity Frontier #1, where Earth-2 Huntress made a small cameo.