Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

At least Peeg got to be a part of the JL and briefly BOP with her new Atlantean origin before Geoff Johns reinvented her as a 'Crisis Refugee' and gave her greater prominence in the JSA which also lead to her own ongoing.

Meanwhile poor Lyta had her sanity destroyed and wallowed in irrelevance before briefly getting the spotlight in Johns JSA run.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Meanwhile poor Lyta had her sanity destroyed and wallowed in irrelevance before briefly getting the spotlight in Johns JSA run.
    Yeah, Sandman was...rough for her.

I don't think they'll want Wonder Woman to have a daughter that's Lyta's age on the main continuity, so I think she should be the daughter of Helena Kosmatos again.
    Since "everything matters" now, I'd probably revive the original Earth-2 as the place where Helena Wayne, Lyta Trevor and PG come from, while keeping most of the Post-Crisis history of the JSA for the main Earth.
    This way both versions can coexist and PG wouldn't need a convoluted explanation for her backstory. Her best origin is still as Superman's cousin from Earth-2.
    In my head canon, Helena Wayne from Earth-2 would be the bat of Justice Incarnate so she could also have a regular and prominent role that doesn't step on Helena Bertinelli's toes.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't think they'll want Wonder Woman to have a daughter that's Lyta's age on the main continuity...
    Sadly, I must agree. DC slammed the window on the fingers of the last real shot at that back in 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't think they'll want Wonder Woman to have a daughter that's Lyta's age on the main continuity . . .
    May depend on things like how long ago Diana first left Themyscira and had a presence here in the U.S.

Also, what if she had a daughter closer in age to Damian Wayne and Jon Kent?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    May depend on things like how long ago Diana first left Themyscira and had a presence here in the U.S.

Also, what if she had a daughter closer in age to Damian Wayne and Jon Kent?
    I think they'll keep her WWII presence, but they're not ready to actually depict her as having a kid that looks as old as herself.
    She'll continue to be single and young despite being closer and closer to her 100th anniversary

In honor of Memorial Day here in the U.S. today, from All-Star Squadron #5 (January 1982),

NOTE: The scene was based on the beginning of All Star Comics #11 (June-July 1942):

Extraordinary Member

So Johns was supposed to write the JSA series? Was that just initially, or is he penciled in for the long term? Because I've seen his take on the JSA, and want to see another. Especially since he can't write a good PG to save his life.

Personally, I'd have gone with Simone, assuming she's wants to do that sort of thing for DC. My dream JSA writer would have been Cooke, if fate had been a little nicer. Or whoever wrote JSA vs Kobra.

In honor of Memorial Day here in the U.S. today, from All-Star Squadron #5 (January 1982),

NOTE: The scene was based on the beginning of All Star Comics #11 (June-July 1942):
    The entire team wanted to enlist? Surely Charles McNider can't enlist - isn't he blind without his Doctor Mid-Nite goggles? That would automatically cause him to fail his medical. As Spectre points out in the 1942 page, he's already dead, so he can't enlist either. Thus, there'd only be five Privates, not seven. The writer on the 1982 page screwed up.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The entire team wanted to enlist? Surely Charles McNider can't enlist - isn't he blind without his Doctor Mid-Nite goggles? That would automatically cause him to fail his medical. As Spectre points out in the 1942 page, he's already dead, so he can't enlist either. Thus, there'd only be five Privates, not seven. The writer on the 1982 page screwed up.
    Well, Sandman had said "eight new buck privates" but that was probably without realizing the part about the Spectre. As for McNider, he could probably still enlist on the medical front in a consultant capacity, but he wouldn't be going to boot camp to train for fighting overseas. (Something about giving a gun to a blind guy . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post

Great cover, better costumes, and some members that I'd wish to see more than the ones we're supposed to get. I always liked the mix of veterans, legacy heroes and rookies of the modern take on the JSA. With only Alan, Jay and Carter as the veterans (not sure who Fate is), this new team is really short on the hard earned experience department. I really wanted to see Ted and Sand on the team.
    On a side note, I've always found curious about this cover that Ross seemed to have thought that Damage was a revamped Atom Smasher (as did I, when I first saw this cover). He is clearly supposed to be a giant there, something that Damage wasn't.

By the way, does she still spell it "Mignight" or is she now also using McNider's and Cross' spelling of "Mid-Nite"?
    Yes, with a slight update (the sleeves, and maybe the visor, which some have mentioned reminds too much of Cyclops'), I think this would be a much better look for Beth (even if I still prefer Pieter).

As I recall, McNider enlisted in the medical corp. I don't remember if he was ever reported being sent to the front-lines.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Great cover, better costumes, and some members that I'd wish to see more than the ones we're supposed to get. I always liked the mix of veterans, legacy heroes and rookies of the modern take on the JSA. With only Alan, Jay and Carter as the veterans (not sure who Fate is), this new team is really short on the hard earned experience department. I really wanted to see Ted and Sand on the team.
    On a side note, I've always found curious about this cover that Ross seemed to have thought that Damage was a revamped Atom Smasher (as did I, when I first saw this cover). He is clearly supposed to be a giant there, something that Damage wasn't.

Yes, with a slight update (the sleeves, and maybe the visor, which some have mentioned reminds too much of Cyclops'), I think this would be a much better look for Beth (even if I still prefer Pieter).

As I recall, McNider enlisted in the medical corp. I don't remember if he was ever reported being sent to the front-lines.

Peace
    The 2007's run was my first DC book and I really loved the mix of characters. In the Stargirl's teaser I would have loved to see Sand too.

And yeah I remember that in All-Star Squadron, it showed the JSA members enlisted and Charles was in the medical corp if I remember.

Boisterously Confused

Well, Sandman had said "eight new buck privates" but that was probably without realizing the part about the Spectre. As for McNider, he could probably still enlist on the medical front in a consultant capacity, but he wouldn't be going to boot camp to train for fighting overseas. (Something about giving a gun to a blind guy . . . )
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    ...And yeah I remember that in All-Star Squadron, it showed the JSA members enlisted and Charles was in the medical corp if I remember.
    Yup. Dr. Mid-Nite was planning to come clean about his powers so he could enlist, but got commissioned into the US Army Medical Corps to work on tropical disease remedies. With Myra as his assistant, the Army figured he could still do research, even with his "handicap," so he never had to blow cover. Then, of course, he wound up fighting Japanese soldiers in costume anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1
    The whole Atom-Smasher/Damage confusion during that era was greatly exacerbated but having both characters don full-face covering masks, in homage to the original Atom. One of them should have worn a variation of Pratt's fin-topped mask for variation's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    The whole Atom-Smasher/Damage confusion during that era was greatly exacerbated but having both characters don full-face covering masks, in homage to the original Atom. One of them should have worn a variation of Pratt's fin-topped mask for variation's sake.
    At least Damage's going with a full face covering was explained by his face being "damaged" in that fight in Infinite Crisis #1 where several members of the Freedom Fighters (II) were killed (like the Dee Tyler Phantom Lady being gutted by Deathstroke's sword).