Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    It is great but the perspectives are pretty funny. When did Johnny Thunder get to be 10 times as big as Starman? Like in any way at all? These sorts of group shots often have characters sized by importance. Using that lens, this artist has some pretty interesting preferences. I wonder who they could be. It seems too good for fan art.
    Now that you point it out, it does seem odd. I can't see The Spectre getting much play though, and his head is huge.

It is great but the perspectives are pretty funny. When did Johnny Thunder get to be 10 times as big as Starman? Like in any way at all? These sorts of group shots often have characters sized by importance. Using that lens, this artist has some pretty interesting preferences. I wonder who they could be. It seems too good for fan art.
    Also wondering which version of "Wonder Woman" that is. It looks like we have a pre-CoIE version of the Earth-2 JSA, but I don't really associate a sword with that version of Diana.

It is good. I admire the completeness, but wonder about the centering of the Trinity characters. It's art produced independently so who knows at this point. It is clear there is a strong and loyal fan base for the JSA, although not an incredibly large one.
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 10-02-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Incredible Member

That would be a hard one to be able to prove with quantification.
    I'm not sure how well known the JSA is in the broader public.
    But around here people talk about the JSA a lot. Usually with frustration about how they are treated
    by the DC higher ups.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    That would be a hard one to be able to prove with quantification.
    I'm not sure how well known the JSA is in the broader public.
    But around here people talk about the JSA a lot. Usually with frustration about how they are treated
    by the DC higher ups.
    True. It's speculation based on the intensity of reaction here and the general comic book likes of those who do so. The JSA is NOT a generally known team among non-comic readers. My comments refer to the comic book reading public.

Incredible Member

I see your point. I agree with it by the way.

But what I would say there is a range of reasons for why interest in the JSA endures.
    One element is certainly the fact that they were the first superhero group.
    Golden Age comics importance in setting the framework is admired by a range of comics fans.
    I also think the iconic characters that are part of the JSA is part of their appeal.
    It would also be a mistake to believe that is just old, long in the teeth hangers on: it
    cuts across all generations, race, gender.

The sad part when it comes to DC is that they keep teasing us. JSA members keep
    showing up in a variety of different entities, both in the DCU and DCEU. All the while
    they seem to not be at all in the longterm plans for a book of their own. It can be
    maddening.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

It does appear to be fan art (which at times can be just as good as any that's published in comics) and a montage or collage more so than anything regarding an appearance of characters together.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I see your point. I agree with it by the way.

But what I would say there is a range of reasons for why interest in the JSA endures.
    One element is certainly the fact that they were the first superhero group.
    Golden Age comics importance in setting the framework is admired by a range of comics fans.
    I also think the iconic characters that are part of the JSA is part of their appeal.
    It would also be a mistake to believe that is just old, long in the teeth hangers on: it
    cuts across all generations, race, gender.

The sad part when it comes to DC is that they keep teasing us. JSA members keep
    showing up in a variety of different entities, both in the DCU and DCEU. All the while
    they seem to not be at all in the longterm plans for a book of their own. It can be
    maddening.
    DC Comics is Lucy
    JSA fans are Charlie Brown
    A new JSA series is the football.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Also wondering which version of "Wonder Woman" that is. It looks like we have a pre-CoIE version of the Earth-2 JSA, but I don't really associate a sword with that version of Diana.
    Yeah, wasn't her only weapon the Lasso of Truth prior to Crisis? It's only after that she started using a sword and shield?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, wasn't her only weapon the Lasso of Truth prior to Crisis? It's only after that she started using a sword and shield?
    I think of a "Wonder Woman" with the sword and shield (as well as that skirt) as more along the lines of when John Byrne had Hippolyta travel back in time to become the 1940s Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think of a "Wonder Woman" with the sword and shield (as well as that skirt) as more along the lines of when John Byrne had Hippolyta travel back in time to become the 1940s Wonder Woman.

But what car can she throw? I'm curious now that I see that. Was it a Lotus Elise, or a Rolls Royce Phantom? Big weight difference there...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    But what car can she throw? I'm curious now that I see that. Was it a Lotus Elise, or a Rolls Royce Phantom? Big weight difference there...
    It's a Peel P50.

But seriously, it was the forties and all cars were pretty darn big and heavy.