Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sadly looks like I was right, while they’ll probably be pushing Calvin in the comics to coincide with this Superman reboot, it will be a black Clark not Calvin on the big screen. Clark is the one with all the iconic lore and stories so there never really was any big hope of it, but I was still rooting for Calvin. I hope they push him for synergy in the comics at least.
    I definitely hope Calvin gets a push in the comics. Hell I hope you're wrong and the film *does* end up being Calvin.

But, assuming the movie even happens at all (and WB doesn't have a good record here at all so I'll believe it when I see the trailer) I don't really have any interest in black Clark Kent. You either just put black face on the character so he still acts and behaves in a recognizable way, which is some BS pandering, or you change the character to incorporate the different experiences and worldview he'd have as a black man, upon which case it's not really Clark anymore.

And while this goes on, the Cyborg movie is dead before pre-production even started, and that's as close as any of DC's fantastic black heroes are coming to a movie. So yeah, we (maybe) get a black Clark Kent while Vic, Black Lightning, Vixen, John Irons, John Stewart, and all those other amazing people are left out in the cold (and no, I don't count Static because Milestone isn't DC).

So here's hoping Calvin gets a title (at least a mini!) out of all this, because it'll probably be the only good product we'll see from this push.

Gods I hate how cynical I sound (and I might be over-selling my stance here too, I'd take a black Clark if they could actually pull it off). But seriously, is anyone sitting there saying "Hey, a black Clark Kent instead of an actual black character! That's not insulting at all!" And don't give me the "black character X isn't well known enough" because the Guardians of the Galaxy and Aquaman would like to talk to you about movie success and pop culture cred.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-05-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.