Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

I love Calvin Ellis. I'm gonna be so upset if the Superman reboot centers around a black Clark Kent instead of this character who has so much potential.

I need to reread Morrison's Action run.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I love Calvin Ellis. I'm gonna be so upset if the Superman reboot centers around a black Clark Kent instead of this character who has so much potential.
    Then you definitely should not pay any attention at all to the Superman reboot news - because even though they've not come out and said so, everything they do say about it makes me and most folks convinced that yeah it's a black Clark Kent. Also apparently a period piece? Anyways, it's only a matter of time before we get official confirmation. Probably at Fandome.

I’ve seen a lot of articles lately saying the next cinematic Superman will be Calvin Ellis, kind of matter of factly. I hope we get confirmation. Though it would be totally on brand for WB to disappoint fans with an announcement that it’ll just be a black version of Clark.

John Boyega Offers A+ Choice For Actors To Play Black Superman Calvin Ellis

Boyega had some good picks for Calvin.

Extraordinary Member

[IMG][/IMG]
    JUSTICE LEAGUE INFINITY #3
    Writers : J.M. DeMATTEIS and JAMES TUCKER
    Artist: ETHEN BEAVERS
    Cover: DAN MORA
    $3.99 US | 32 PGS | 3 of 7
    ON SALE 9/7/21

As the worlds continue to bleed in and out of each other, the Justice League looks to the cosmos to learn how to stop the chaos that’s been wrought. Meanwhile, Superman’s journey through the Multiverse brings him face to face with another Man of Steel, but is this one friend or foe?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    That seems like earth 23 but with elements of earth D added.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

If I was in charge of a movie

I would create a composite character between Calvin Ellis and Val-Zod

The black pacifist son of general Zod, who landed on earth and was sheltered in a military base, till he escaped and was taken in by a poor black couple

Val-Zod would take the name Calvin Ellis and would be inspired by Clark Kent’s Superman...later viewing him as a mentor and second father figure later in life.

Or even have him be adopted by Clark Kent from the military base...where you can explore complicated themes of interracial adoptive siblings between him and Jon Kent.

Imagine...the black pacifist son of Zod becoming president Superman

Any writer would be sweating at the creative opportunities that this new composite character presents
    Last edited by kryptonian; 06-18-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I’m intrigued. Will check this series out.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Looks like another case of E-23 is same as ours but they have black WW and Superman. Would it kill them to at least look at that one page in Multiversity Guidebook and actually do something more beyond black WW/Superman?

Nice little bit of continuity cleanup from Williamson to match up the Morrison Ellises with the Thomas Ellises. So they were in the city but they moved to the country, that works fine for me.

This got a laugh out of me

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Looks like another case of E-23 is same as ours but they have black WW and Superman. Would it kill them to at least look at that one page in Multiversity Guidebook and actually do something more beyond black WW/Superman?
    Well first they’re meeting Overman. The mini will have the DCAU League traveling across the Multiverse.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Enjoyed the Calvin story in Infinite Frontier: Secret Files. Was kinda funny how quickly his timing got off track. Also got a kick out of Bones complaining, "why does every Earth have one of these guys?"

(Really digging all these Dan Watters stories popping up too.)
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I love how they’re keeping the “comics give information about the multiverse” that Morrison used in Multiversity, thought that was a brilliant way of making Barry’s knowledge of Jay from comics an important in-universe fact.

Confirmation that Calvin isn’t married and he doesn’t have the family that Clark does. I wonder what the turning point for him was? He didn’t have an exact “Lois” going off of that Morrison Action issue where he doesn’t recognize alternate Lois, but he must have had someone similar at some point. What pushed him into becoming President? A mini that goes into the lead up to that decision is what I’m hoping to get. I’ve also thought he and Nubia were at least lovers in the past if not the present, that’s the vibe I always got, so I’d like to see that confirmed or not at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Confirmation that Calvin isn’t married and he doesn’t have the family that Clark does. I wonder what the turning point for him was? He didn’t have an exact “Lois” going off of that Morrison Action issue where he doesn’t recognize alternate Lois, but he must have had someone similar at some point. What pushed him into becoming President? A mini that goes into the lead up to that decision is what I’m hoping to get. I’ve also thought he and Nubia were at least lovers in the past if not the present, that’s the vibe I always got, so I’d like to see that confirmed or not at some point.
    I wonder if Calvin also had a "Lana" in his life. And well, President, champion of the multiverse, Superman of his world... the guy can't have it all.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I wonder if Calvin also had a "Lana" in his life. And well, President, champion of the multiverse, Superman of his world... the guy can't have it all.
    It’s an interesting contrast that Calvin basically sacrificed his personal life in order to do good in a scale that Clark has never tried to do. Clark often struggles with feelings of inferiority, wondering if he has failed to live up to his full potential, would be cool to explore the opposite of that with Calvin. To be more successful as a hero but less successful as man, what does that feel like? Is he envious of the other Supermen with families and loved ones, or does he take comfort that he’s able to accomplish good in an area none of them have ever been able to? That he isn’t married only makes me more curious to know what his romantic history has been.

I mean hey if you’re the head Superman of the multiverse then you’re dating options are wide and varied to the many worlds in the dc omniverse.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s an interesting contrast that Calvin basically sacrificed his personal life in order to do good in a scale that Clark has never tried to do. Clark often struggles with feelings of inferiority, wondering if he has failed to live up to his full potential, would be cool to explore the opposite of that with Calvin. To be more successful as a hero but less successful as man, what does that feel like? Is he envious of the other Supermen with families and loved ones, or does he take comfort that he’s able to accomplish good in an area none of them have ever been able to? That he isn’t married only makes me more curious to know what his romantic history has been.
    I'd buy a Calvin series so gods damn fast the money is already in DC's bank account.

Same goes for Morrison's t-shirt Superman.

Y'know, just in case someone from DC is lurking and thinking to themselves "I wonder what readers would buy?"
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.