Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

I got a laugh out of Bones being very put off at learning that there’s a whole Multiverse full of Supermen.

https://twitter.com/aquamanuniverse/...833033729?s=21
    Normally I wouldn’t cite randos on Twitter as news sources, but this account does seem to know some stuff about what’s going on at DC. They knew that there was no Aquaman book planned, they knew Arthur was going to be on Bendis JL, so maybe they know something about DC’s plans for Calvin. I suspect we’ll learn more about what DC envisions for the Superlines future come Sept, perhaps Calvin will be a part of the event that’s coming.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue. Calvin Ellis is a great take on Superman that simply wouldn't work as well with classic Superman. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the character moving forward.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue. Calvin Ellis is a great take on Superman that simply wouldn't work as well with classic Superman. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the character moving forward.
    Reading this issue, it definitely made me want to see him get a ongoing after the event ends because there is a lot of story potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Reading this issue, it definitely made me want to see him get a ongoing after the event ends because there is a lot of story potential there.
    Given Hollywood's plans for Calivin, I think it's a forgone conclusion that we'll be seeing more of the character

Yes, oh, please yes *crosses fingers & toes* DC needs to do this, which sadly means they probably won't. They'd much rather push other far less interesting takes on the concept, oh well.....
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-21-2021 at 08:11 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

If Brandon Thomas isn’t at least being talked about for a mini with Calvin DC are blind.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Given Hollywood's plans for Calivin, I think it's a forgone conclusion that we'll be seeing more of the character
    Are we sure it'll be Calvin thought not Val-Zod or an OC?

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Are we sure it'll be Calvin thought not Val-Zod or an OC?
    Nope nobody knows. Could also be a black Clark Kent and to be honest that’s probably the most likely. When you get down to it that’s the easiest route because the others lack a lot of the iconic mythos. Calvin and Val don’t work at the Daily Planet or date Lois Lane, Val doesn’t even have a civilian identity or the raised by decent hardworking couple, and Calvin is political as hell by nature (part of why I love him but I can see the execs being nervous). As of right now I’m expecting either an OC that’s basically just Clark but black in terms of status quo or just straight up Clark but black. MBJ namedropped Calvin as the Superman he’d like to play though, and I’d love to see a Superman created by Grant Morrison up on the big screen.

But for now we’re all just guessing so Val fans can hope for their guy just as much as anyone else!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nope nobody knows. Could also be a black Clark Kent and to be honest that’s probably the most likely. When you get down to it that’s the easiest route because the others lack a lot of the iconic mythos. Calvin and Val don’t work at the Daily Planet or date Lois Lane, Val doesn’t even have a civilian identity or the raised by decent hardworking couple, and Calvin is political as hell by nature (part of why I love him but I can see the execs being nervous). As of right now I’m expecting either an OC that’s basically just Clark but black in terms of status quo or just straight up Clark but black. MBJ namedropped Calvin as the Superman he’d like to play though, and I’d love to see a Superman created by Grant Morrison up on the big screen.

But for now we’re all just guessing so Val fans can hope for their guy just as much as anyone else!
    *sigh* I hope not because it is also the creatively laziest route.

Incredible Member

I love multiverse characters and stories set on their worlds so Secret Files was fun. It honestly makes me want more stories on that Earth or on others vs just more of the same.

I think Calvin will be in the main Infinite Frontier series, and since we know some books will be spinning out of that I’m hoping that one of them is an Earth 23 book or books set on other Earths in the Multiverse.

Yep Calvin looks to be a consistent part of the book:

INFINITE FRONTIER #3

Story by Joshua Williamson.

Art by Xermanico.

Covers by Mitch Gerads, Bryan Hitch.

Barry Allen's history with the Psycho-Pirate isn't pleasant. The Flash encountered this mind-bending villain all the way back in the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, and it did not end well for the Scarlet Speedster. For the first time since his death and rebirth, Barry runs afoul of this foe – hopefully it will go better this time around! That is, if the even bigger villain behind the Pirate stays out of the fray, or if President Superman of Justice Incarnate sticks around to help win the day.

40 pages, $4.99, (Variant, $5.99), available on July 27.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-25-2021 at 02:50 PM.

I don't think you hire Coates unless you're actively looking for a political take on Superman, which is why I think Calvin Ellis is the more likely of the options. He's just unformed enough that Coates & Abrams can play around with the iconic stuff as much as they want, while also doing their own thing because he's explicitly not Clark Kent, but a different Superman altogether.

However, it's certainly anyone's guess. I think Val-Zod is the least likely possibility, but who knows.

I thought the same at first. You hire Coates since he’s the guy who made his career critiquing the Obama Administration at The Atlantic and later the Trump Administration as well. You don’t hire him for his comic book work (which has been weak imo), so it made sense they’d go with Calvin. But lately I’ve started to reconsider. Making Superman black is already a big change, but then to go with a Superman who lacks a lot of the Superman status quo? Not called Clark Kent, not working at the Daily Planet, not married to/romantically linked with Lois Lane, at least he is an El and has Lex Luthor. None of the other black Supermen have all of the status quo elements as Clark, Val has the least which is why I don’t think it will be him given he doesn’t even have a “human” identity or any of the classic Superman elements really beyond just the name.

But hey maybe the lack of the familiar Clark Kent elements will work in Calvin’s favor, maybe WB views that as a plus given they have a classic take going on with Hoechlin and they’ve utterly failed repeatedly on the big screen with Clark. But I think simply making Clark black, or making Jon black if they want that Kent lineage but also are afraid of backlash (could easily make Lois black and have Jon as their biracial black son like animated Invincible) are the most likely choices. Either that or an OC, and ugh God do I dislike Coates OCs, not going to a theater to see one of those for sure.

But regardless whether they use Calvin or not, I think the comics side will push him for the audience who wants to read a comic Black Superman which makes me happy because he’s my favorite of the available options (I do think Rowan has potential if they develop him more).

I thought the same at first. You hire Coates since he’s the guy who made his career critiquing the Obama Administration at The Atlantic and later the Trump Administration as well. You don’t hire him for his comic book work (which has been weak imo), so it made sense they’d go with Calvin. But lately I’ve started to reconsider. Making Superman black is already a big change, but then to go with a Superman who lacks a lot of the Superman status quo? Not called Clark Kent, not working at the Daily Planet, not married to/romantically linked with Lois Lane, at least he is an El and has Lex Luthor. None of the other black Supermen have all of the status quo elements as Clark, Val has the least which is why I don’t think it will be him given he doesn’t even have a “human” identity or any of the classic Superman elements really beyond just the name.

But hey maybe the lack of the familiar Clark Kent elements will work in Calvin’s favor, maybe WB views that as a plus given they have a classic take going on with Hoechlin and they’ve utterly failed repeatedly on the big screen with Clark. But I think simply making Clark black, or making Jon black if they want that Kent lineage but also are afraid of backlash (could easily make Lois black and have Jon as their biracial black son like animated Invincible) are the most likely choices. Either that or an OC, and ugh God do I dislike Coates OCs, not going to a theater to see one of those for sure.
    I think "race swapping" Clark Kent is the worst option. I would rank the ideas best to worst as Calvin Ellis, Val Zod, an OC, Black Clark Kent who is Clark Kent except he's black yo. I hope they don't go with Black Clark Kent I really do it would be so cheap and lazy.