Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Well, no one has ever gone broke underestimating Hollywood, so anything is possible, but I am certainly hoping for Calvin, as he is, by far, the most interesting option.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Well, no one has ever gone broke underestimating Hollywood, so anything is possible, but I am certainly hoping for Calvin, as he is, by far, the most interesting option.
    The only real one other than Clark if I'm being honest. Hernan could work too, actually.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The only real one other than Clark if I'm being honest. Hernan could work too, actually.
    Black Clark Kent is a hard pass for me. I have no interest in that scenario as it is by far the laziest must cliched route to travel.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Black Clark Kent is a hard pass for me. I have no interest in that scenario as it is by far the laziest must cliched route to travel.
    I meant that the only Supermen I can see headlining a film are Clark, Calvin or Hernan.

I dont see any problem with Calvin using some Superman mythos.

Some of his rogues have been used in the past with other Superman characters and Justice League members.

Of course the rivalry with Luthor, the Daily planet, Smallville, Lois Lane...ect these are aspects of the character that Calvin doesnt need if he wants to be his own thing (he will always be a Superman character but he doesnt need to be a Clark clone)

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    I dont see any problem with Calvin using some Superman mythos.

Some of his rogues have been used in the past with other Superman characters and Justice League members.

Of course the rivalry with Luthor, the Daily planet, Smallville, Lois Lane...ect these are aspects of the character that Calvin doesnt need if he wants to be his own thing (he will always be a Superman character but he doesnt need to be a Clark clone)
    He’s got Luthor already, and he probably has a “Lois” although given that he didn’t recognize the Lois from Superdoom’s Earth I assume she must not go by “Lois Lane” or look anything like a “normal” Lois. The recent Secret Files one shot says Ellis adopted parents were farmers so I don’t mind them living in Smallville (I thought they were city folk but eh, it’s not a big deal). Only thing I do disagree on is the Daily Planet, I would much rather have Calvin’s pre-presidential career be either in law as a lawyer, specifically defense, or in politics right off the bat. I think that’s a much more interesting career path for him, it still involves lots of writing and listening to people just like Clark’s journalism, but being a lawyer lets him express it in a different way while still allowing Calvin to do good in both identities like Clark tries to.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s got Luthor already, and he probably has a “Lois” although given that he didn’t recognize the Lois from Superdoom’s Earth I assume she must not go by “Lois Lane” or look anything like a “normal” Lois. The recent Secret Files one shot says Ellis adopted parents were farmers so I don’t mind them living in Smallville (I thought they were city folk but eh, it’s not a big deal). Only thing I do disagree on is the Daily Planet, I would much rather have Calvin’s pre-presidential career be either in law as a lawyer, specifically defense, or in politics right off the bat. I think that’s a much more interesting career path for him, it still involves lots of writing and listening to people just like Clark’s journalism, but being a lawyer lets him express it in a different way while still allowing Calvin to do good in both identities like Clark tries to.
    Wouldn't his "Lois" be contractually obligated to be a Michelle Obama stand-in?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Heh I don’t think Calvin is married. He seems to be single, and while he may have started as an Obama expy they’ve moved him away from that (for obvious reasons). To be honest I’ve thought it would be an interesting development if his “Lois” left him when he decided to run for office because she disagreed with him choosing to do that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Both as lawyers, it would work seamlessly. She definitely needs a different name to Lois Lane.

Sadly looks like I was right, while they’ll probably be pushing Calvin in the comics to coincide with this Superman reboot, it will be a black Clark not Calvin on the big screen. Clark is the one with all the iconic lore and stories so there never really was any big hope of it, but I was still rooting for Calvin. I hope they push him for synergy in the comics at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sadly looks like I was right, while they’ll probably be pushing Calvin in the comics to coincide with this Superman reboot, it will be a black Clark not Calvin on the big screen. Clark is the one with all the iconic lore and stories so there never really was any big hope of it, but I was still rooting for Calvin. I hope they push him for synergy in the comics at least.
    But... but... What THR is saying is that "Coates is crafting a Kal-El in the vein of the original Superman comics". They say Kal-El, not Clark Kent, and as far as I know, Calvin's kryptonian name is Kalel. They might have written Kal-El instead of Kalel because that's the usual name and sounds the same. So they can still doing a film about Calvin, not Clark, can't they?
    Last edited by Marvel Man; 05-05-2021 at 12:50 PM.

With President Superman maybe his villains have their own Political Parties lol: Manchester Black - The Elite Party, Metallo - The Metal Party, Toyman - The Child Party

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    But... but... What THR is saying is that "Coates is crafting a Kal-El in the vein of the original Superman comics". They say Kal-El, not Clark Kent, and as far as I know, Calvin's kryptonian name is Kalel. They might have written Kal-El instead of Kalel because that's the usual name and sounds the same. So they can still doing a film about Calvin, not Clark, can't they?
    They were talking about doing a “Golden Age” inspired Superman set in the 20th century. That would be Clark. I’ll still hold out a faint glimmer of hope that maybe in the end they’ll go with Calvin, but as of right now I’m assuming it will be Clark Kent/Kal-El, since I think they would’ve just come out and said it was Calvin if they planned to do him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    With President Superman maybe his villains have their own Political Parties lol: Manchester Black - The Elite Party, Metallo - The Metal Party, Toyman - The Child Party
    Metallo in the context of Calvin’s world would be fascinating if they kept his E0 origin as the army’s Anti-Superman weapon. Black as an anarchist punk gone bad would be pretty exciting too, especially since Calvin is in the awkward position of being “The Man”.

Incredible Member

a president's term only lasts 4-8 years. How long will Calvin Ellis be President? It's probably easy to stay a president in the comics with all of the reboots and retcons.

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    a president's term only lasts 4-8 years. How long will Calvin Ellis be President? It's probably easy to stay a president in the comics with all of the reboots and retcons.
    The way time works in Big 2 comics is it doesn’t pass unless they say it does, so Calvin will always be President unless they decide to age him out of it. And E23 is very different from “our” Earth, so the rules might not even be the same. Thomas did some fantastic little worldbuilding in his Secret Files issue that just made me want more, stuff like E23 having two moons shows that reality is different there compared to here. Maybe there are no term limits there, after all there weren’t here until FDR got elected four times and the Republicans established limits to make sure that couldn’t be repeated.