Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sadly looks like I was right, while they’ll probably be pushing Calvin in the comics to coincide with this Superman reboot, it will be a black Clark not Calvin on the big screen. Clark is the one with all the iconic lore and stories so there never really was any big hope of it, but I was still rooting for Calvin. I hope they push him for synergy in the comics at least.
    I definitely hope Calvin gets a push in the comics. Hell I hope you're wrong and the film *does* end up being Calvin.

But, assuming the movie even happens at all (and WB doesn't have a good record here at all so I'll believe it when I see the trailer) I don't really have any interest in black Clark Kent. You either just put black face on the character so he still acts and behaves in a recognizable way, which is some BS pandering, or you change the character to incorporate the different experiences and worldview he'd have as a black man, upon which case it's not really Clark anymore.

And while this goes on, the Cyborg movie is dead before pre-production even started, and that's as close as any of DC's fantastic black heroes are coming to a movie. So yeah, we (maybe) get a black Clark Kent while Vic, Black Lightning, Vixen, John Irons, John Stewart, and all those other amazing people are left out in the cold (and no, I don't count Static because Milestone isn't DC).

So here's hoping Calvin gets a title (at least a mini!) out of all this, because it'll probably be the only good product we'll see from this push.

Gods I hate how cynical I sound (and I might be over-selling my stance here too, I'd take a black Clark if they could actually pull it off). But seriously, is anyone sitting there saying "Hey, a black Clark Kent instead of an actual black character! That's not insulting at all!" And don't give me the "black character X isn't well known enough" because the Guardians of the Galaxy and Aquaman would like to talk to you about movie success and pop culture cred.
    Last edited by Ascended; 05-05-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Sadly looks like I was right, while they’ll probably be pushing Calvin in the comics to coincide with this Superman reboot, it will be a black Clark not Calvin on the big screen. Clark is the one with all the iconic lore and stories so there never really was any big hope of it, but I was still rooting for Calvin. I hope they push him for synergy in the comics at least.
    Honestly, I do feel it may just be a coincidence Calvin is getting a bigger role. Williamson was planning infinite frontier and playing with the multiverse since last fall. I didn't get the sense that DC editorial was pushing characters on him, but of course I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Honestly, I do feel it may just be a coincidence Calvin is getting a bigger role. Williamson was planning infinite frontier and playing with the multiverse since last fall. I didn't get the sense that DC editorial was pushing characters on him, but of course I could be wrong.
    They were plotting this a year ago long before the reboot was officially announced, so I doubt they let the comic side know, it was probably just a coincidence, but DC isn’t shying away from cashing in on it. They put out a tweet promoting Final Crisis as Calvin’s first appearance (God I love how DC still can’t wrap their heads around that story ) and if they choose to put out a Calvin mini as a way of tying in I certainly won’t complain! I’m just glad that Calvin is getting used again, Multiversity has really had some staying power surprisingly.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'll be very curious to see how they play with Calvin's origins once they get around to it.

What would you guys prefer, that Calvin is adopted by a black family who pretend he's their natural child or a white family that leaned into the Obama of the character more?

I think there's pluses and minuses to both.

How close do you want his origin to line up with Clark's? Do you want him raised in Kansas or a more urban environment?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'll be very curious to see how they play with Calvin's origins once they get around to it.

What would you guys prefer, that Calvin is adopted by a black family who pretend he's their natural child or a white family that leaned into the Obama of the character more?

I think there's pluses and minuses to both.

How close do you want his origin to line up with Clark's? Do you want him raised in Kansas or a more urban environment?
    Not to spoil for you, but we get some more hints about Calvin’s upbringing in the recent Infinite Frontier Secret Files issue. His adopted parents are black going back to that Action Comics one off issue from Morrison Action.

Not to spoil for you, but we get some more hints about Calvin’s upbringing in the recent Infinite Frontier Secret Files issue. His adopted parents are black going back to that Action Comics one off issue from Morrison Action.
    I read that issue, but I don't remember anything about his upbringing. What did they mention?

I also have no memory of his parents from Morrison's Action Comics. My Nerd Brain is failing, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I read that issue, but I don't remember anything about his upbringing. What did they mention?

I also have no memory of his parents from Morrison's Action Comics. My Nerd Brain is failing, I guess
    In Secret Files he visits the “Ellis Farm” where his parents are shown:

One of the things I loved about that issue was how it kept showing you how similar he was to Clark but then showing you how different he is as well. So he’s got the Smallville upbringing but his parents are Raoists? I’d love to know the backstory for that! Thomas really needs to get a mini or something with any Superman he wants because he’s very good.

So Calvin has the basic rural upbringing of Clark, and I’m fine with that. What I don’t want is Calvin to have been a journalist. I’m praying they make him a lawyer, I think that would be the perfect way of showing how Calvin is similar to Clark in that he started out wanting to do good in both identities, but that he took a different route. I think being a lawyer, like being a journalist, is something Calvin could do that pushes him in areas that his powers can’t always make up for.

Multiversity has really had some staying power surprisingly.
    Cream rises to the top.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

One of the things I loved about that issue was how it kept showing you how similar he was to Clark but then showing you how different he is as well. So he’s got the Smallville upbringing but his parents are Raoists? I’d love to know the backstory for that! Thomas really needs to get a mini or something with any Superman he wants because he’s very good.

So Calvin has the basic rural upbringing of Clark, and I’m fine with that. What I don’t want is Calvin to have been a journalist. I’m praying they make him a lawyer, I think that would be the perfect way of showing how Calvin is similar to Clark in that he started out wanting to do good in both identities, but that he took a different route. I think being a lawyer, like being a journalist, is something Calvin could do that pushes him in areas that his powers can’t always make up for.
    I'm hoping for a social worker who ran for local office and kept moving up until Congress and later the executive office. But yes, anything save a reporter.

Wow, I was so taken by the idea of Calvin worshiping Rao that I completely missed the fact that he was doing it with his parents. It’s a great wrinkle to the character that’s perfectly in keeping with Superman, but also new.

From Joshua Williamson's twitter, Calvin and the Justice Incarnate in Infinite Frontier #1

https://twitter.com/Williamson_Josh/...29476145700865
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

That’s an interesting World’s Finest to say the least. Calvin has a Bruce, I’m curious how he’ll react to Thomas. Kinda shocked they’ve never paired Jor-El and Thomas up when they were both in the DCU.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Looks great, really excited to see Calvin having such a big role for once and hopefully this will lead to more.