Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Default Superman Story In Truth & Justice #4

Truth-and-Justice-4-2021.jpg

To anyone who’s not familiar with the title, Truth & Justice is a currently running digital anthology series by DC with each story centering on different heroes featured across DC's Multiverse by different creative teams. The first three issues that covered an entire story by Geoffrey Thorne centered on Vixen teaming up with Dr. Mist and Impala of the Global Guardians facing an ancient deity that’s taken over the body of a scientist investigating powerful magical artifacts.

The fourth issue just came out and it's a Superman focus story. Black prisoners around Metropolis are waking up in their old homes, unaware of how they got there and being accused of escaping from Stryker’s Island and are also being targeted by an armored well equipped unit of vigilantes. Superman will need to use all of his powers, and his journalistic skills, if he’s going to save the prisoners and get them properly exonerated.

Last edited by BBally; 01-29-2021 at 03:42 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

I like to see more of Clark Kent investigative wits in a story.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Might have to check this out. Looks like it might be the kind of social commentary I've been wanting out of the Super books.

If it's not just spewing the political propaganda from either side at us and is actually exploring the subject it could be a damn fine read.

Does anyone know if they're gonna release this in print in a month or two, or do I need to fire up comixology?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Political as all hell and I enjoyed it. I liked the focus on Clark’s journalism, specifically that it was Clark Kent and not Superman who got that case looked at again and gave the man another chance at a retrial. Easton’s Mister Miracle backups have left me cold but I’m interested in seeing how he wraps this story up with the big man himself. Wouldn’t mind seeing him do more work with Supes if the ending is solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Might have to check this out. Looks like it might be the kind of social commentary I've been wanting out of the Super books.

If it's not just spewing the political propaganda from either side at us and is actually exploring the subject it could be a damn fine read.

Does anyone know if they're gonna release this in print in a month or two, or do I need to fire up comixology?
    I believe they’re going to release these in print somewhere down the line.

It’s political as hell and 100% on the side of BLM and other protestors, with a very critical and in your face assessment of the American Justice system. I enjoyed it because I like seeing Clark standing up for people abused by the system but if something dealing with this hot button of a topic and close to home isn’t your thing, I would pass. Clark himself is well characterized as honest, dogged, and principled.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-29-2021 at 08:26 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Political as all hell and I enjoyed it. I liked the focus on Clark’s journalism, specifically that it was Clark Kent and not Superman who got that case looked at again and gave the man another chance at a retrial. Easton’s Mister Miracle backups have left me cold but I’m interested in seeing how he wraps this story up with the big man himself. Wouldn’t mind seeing him do more work with Supes if the ending is solid.

It’s political as hell and 100% on the side of BLM and other protestors, with a very critical and in your face assessment of the American Justice system. I enjoyed it because I like seeing Clark standing up for people abused by the system but if something dealing with this hot button of a topic and close to home isn’t your thing, I would pass. Clark himself is well characterized as honest, dogged, and principled.
    This is just what I needed to hear.

Astonishing Member

The usual suspects, the so called and self proclaimed 'fans' of a certain group will complain about this storyline, but the story is off to a promising start and we need this Superman characterization in the mainline comics.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The usual suspects, the so called and self proclaimed 'fans' of a certain group will complain about this storyline, but the story is off to a promising start and we need this Superman characterization in the mainline comics.
    I dug the story but... I don't know... it felt strange to have Superman here. Or at least this Superman, I guess.

The compiled three Chapters of this Superman story come out in March as Truth & Justice #2. Second or third week of the month.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Interesting to read on full.

But uh... is that Perry there trying to stifle the story?
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Superman Homepage uploaded my review of Truth & Justice #4.

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/mil...uth-justice-4/

Though I actually gave the art 3.5 out of 5, not a 4 but it seems they don't use .5 ratings.
    Last edited by BBally; 01-30-2021 at 08:15 AM.

As long as it isn't straw man arguments. I'm on the side of BLM here too, but even if I agree with the message I don't need a comic trying to sell a position on nothing but thin reasoning and/or villainizing anyone who slightly disagrees. Nor am I looking for extremism; I don't like to paint any group with a single brush. But if this is a quality story that explores the topic with some nuance instead of spreading propaganda then I'm all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    The compiled three Chapters of this Superman story come out in March as Truth & Justice #2. Second or third week of the month.
    Awesome, thanks for the info!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

As long as it isn't straw man arguments. I'm on the side of BLM here too, but even if I agree with the message I don't need a comic trying to sell a position on nothing but thin reasoning and/or villainizing anyone who slightly disagrees. Nor am I looking for extremism; I don't like to paint any group with a single brush. But if this is a quality story that explores the topic with some nuance instead of spreading propaganda then I'm all in.

Awesome, thanks for the info!
    Just to be clear my post wasn’t meant to be “if you don’t like and buy this story you’re a bad person”, just that I myself enjoyed it. The main “bad guys” aren’t cops themselves, they’re sort of a vigilante Proud Boys-esque expy, but the story itself is very critical of how the American justice system operates and it’s 100% taking the side of incarcerated person. So it’s not a “both sides have a point” kind of deal, but it doesn’t show all cops as being evil monsters either, hope that clears it up for ya.

Just to be clear my post wasn’t meant to be “if you don’t like and buy this story you’re a bad person”, just that I myself enjoyed it.
    It's cool, I didn't take your post that way.

I hope nobody took my posts in a "there's fine people on both sides" sort of way. Because that's not what I was trying to say either.

The main “bad guys” aren’t cops themselves, they’re sort of a vigilante Proud Boys-esque expy, but the story itself is very critical of how the American justice system operates and it’s 100% taking the side of incarcerated person.
    And that's cool. Any story that actually *looks* at how our justice system operates should be very critical of it. There's a lot of problems there that we need to fix.

So it’s not a “both sides have a point” kind of deal, but it doesn’t show all cops as being evil monsters either, hope that clears it up for ya.
    Well, using Proud Boys proxies does mean you don't really have to defend the opposing side too much.

All I'm saying is that if my comics are going to tackle real world issues, which I want them to do, then I want a quality story and not just crappy strawman arguments that lean on falsehoods and vague generalizations to make its point.

~ Black Panther.

I do tend to think of Clark as less of a "reasonable liberal centrist" and more of a "progressive firebrand," based on his Golden Age pedigree. That said, ultimately this looks pretty damn good. I'll look forward to reading it for sure!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."