Page 34 of 104 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast
    three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

good stuff hyped for next week

also i think flagsmashers are a little boring i hope they do something big

For Bucky, there's always Bernie Rosenthal, Diamondback, Domino from X-force, Rogue, Misty Knight or Colleen Wing, Okoye, Jessica Jones, Quake etc. In fanfiction, Bucky gets around so we got options .

I'm starting to prefer "White Wolf" to "Winter Soldier". Just shorten it to "Wolf" and it's golden.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-26-2021 at 08:01 AM.

BANNED

Falcon and Wolf sounds like a cop show, appropriately

Captain America and Wolf sounds like a hero and sidekick

Captain America and White Wolf-- Nice ring to it and funny in-universe

John Walker is, well, John Walker. He's a career-soldier, an all-American, man, and his intentions to live up to the legacy of Captain America and do the best that he can are genuine. He has a lot of bravado and confidence with a winning smile to boot, while enough self-doubt to wonder whether he's truly capable of living up to the mantle. I don't think Walker is a bad guy. He's just probably not what America really needs right now, and is liable to turn into a stooge for the government instead of being what Captain America is supposed to be.

Was that Walker's wife (who he does not have in the comics)? I only ask because they seem close and it seems like they were romantically involved in high school, plus that "I love you."

Battlestar! It was nice to see Lemar turn up as Walker's buddy and then as his probably government-sponsored Falcon equivalent like in the comics.

That marching band rendition of "Star-Spangled Man" wasn't half-bad.

So yeah, Walker is seemingly in perfect Captain America shape and isn't half-bad with the shield, all without the Super Soldier Serum. On paper he's not really a bad successor, but it's likely more complicated than that.

Bucky and Sam sure slipped into their odd couple buddy cop dynamic like an old glove.

I love how Bucky and Sam talk about Redwing like he's actually sentient and alive like in the comics.

So the Flag-Smasher's got their Super Soldier powers by stealing it from the Power Broker? Is Power Broker going to turn out to be the hidden real villain of this series or is it set up for future MCU installments? I wonder who's playing them?

Karl Morgenthau, Flag-Smasher in the comics, becomes "Kari." These gender-flips are funny just to see them come up with the feminine equivalent of the character they're gender-flipping.

"Sharon Carter: Enemy of the State?" Jeez, I guess I took it for granted how bad Sharon got it for helping Steve, and she didn't even get the guy in favor of her aunt. Even in-universe Sharon Carter isn't treated well.

Isn't there a Superhero named "Black Falcon?" Maybe I'm thinking of Blue Falcon or Black Condor.

We finally meet the Bradley family in live-action, Isaiah and Eli Bradley, and that Isaiah was more or less the Captain America of the Korean War and ended up fighting and defeating the Winter Soldier. Poor Isaiah was turned into a Super Soldier but was then basically betrayed by his country because of his body and the power it held, turning him into a volatile and justifiably angry and tense man. America's history isn't always the brightest, unfortunately.

Carl Lumbly taking a break from playing martians to play a black Captain America! Not bad for a first Marvel role.

It's nice to see Eli. I wonder if they cast him fully with the intention of him leading the Young Avengers in the future, because we're almost at a complete roster of the original team (with Kate Bishop coming up soon)? He didn't get much of a role here other than being hostile to Sam and Bucky and protecting his grandfather, but I imagine we're not done with the Bradley's yet, so we may in fact see the start of Eli's Superhero journey.

Oof, the police bothering Sam with no cause and making a whole lot out of nothing was tough to watch. Especially when learning Sam was Falcon was the only thing that got them to back off, as if that should matter.

Of all the things I expected our protagonists to be arrested for, missing a court-appointed therapy session was not one of them.

It's kind of funny that Sam and Bucky are going to Baron Zemo for Hydra secrets when he's not even a member of Hydra in this continuity.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Women tend to marry men 2-8 years older. My parents had a 12 year gap. Men are seen as safer bets once they're older and financially "established." I don't think anyone threatened Pugh into a long-term relationship. She's an adult and should be held accountable for her own decisions.

In the MCU, Yelena and Bucky should have that 2-8 year physiological age difference, despite the ages of their respective performers. Sebastian Stan could still play a convincing early 30-something dating a mid-to-late 20-something.

Come on now, these were different times. There was a time most women were getting married right off high school, now the trend is women marrying later and people closer to their age.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

In canon, Steve was physiologically 25 in CA:TWS. We saw that on the Hydra screen. Makes sense, since he probably signed up with the military in his early 20s and had a few years-worth of missions in WW2. I think Black Widow was physiologically 28 in CA: TWS, and Yelena should be somewhere around her age.
    Zola stated Steve's birth year as 1918. Assuming he "died" in 1945 and was resurrected in 2011 that makes him 30 years old in CA:TWS. Natasha's birth year is 1984 so she was also 30 at that point. Yelena is at least five years younger than her though.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Come on now, these were different times. There was a time most women were getting married right off high school, now the trend is women marrying later and people closer to their age.
    My mom was 27 when she married my 39-year-old dad in the late 80s. She came from a family with money but chose to work as a retail chain manager. She wasn't desperate for money and didn't need a provider so that she could stay at home.

I don't plan on marrying until my late 30s, once I'm established, and I'd definitely prefer my life-partner be in her 20s when we marry and start a family.

Again, stop taking away the agency of an adult in her 20s.

Sounds like they were inspired by William Naslund and Jeffrey Mace.

I find it interesting Cap 2 has a sidearm, when Steve didn't.
    Bucky had a gun as Cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Yeah, I don't want to see them use Sharon. Leah (the waitress, played by the lovely Miki Ishikawa) may not have a long term future as a love interest, given that it's unlikely Bucky gets a whole lot of development outside of this series, or any sequel runs down the road. But I do like the idea of him with a nice, normal girl. Someone to ground him outside of the spy/superhero game, similar to what they did with Hawkeye.
    Laura Barton's not really very popular though.
    Bucky may end up with Yelena Belova, depending on how the Black Widow film turns out.
    I dunno, pairing him with another Black Widow might be as bad as if Sharon ends up involved with either Bucky or Sam.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Zola stated Steve's birth year as 1918. Assuming he "died" in 1945 and was resurrected in 2011 that makes him 30 years old in CA:TWS. Natasha's birth year is 1984 so she was also 30 at that point. Yelena is at least five years younger than her though.
    You're right.

CA:TWS takes place in universe in 2014, so BW (born 1984) is 30 then, and Steve (1918) is 25 when he gets his powers in 1943 (Stark Expo), goes into the ice at 27 (1945, around V-Day), wakes up at 27 in 2011, and is 30 in CA:TWS (2014), putting Buck at around 31 (born 1917), depending on how often and how long he was brought out for missions. Let's say it was 1-2 years worth of time. That puts Buck at 32-33. If Yelena is 5 years younger than Nat and 6 years younger than Buck, then she's around 27.

Nothing wrong with a ~27 year old character dating a ~33 year old character. Only six year age difference, when 6 years isn't a huge developmental difference in their age bracket.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

My mom was 27 when she married my 39-year-old dad in the late 80s. She came from a family with money but chose to work as a retail chain manager. She wasn't desperate for money and didn't need a provider so that she could stay at home.

I don't plan on marrying until my late 30s, once I'm established, and I'd definitely prefer my life-partner be in her 20s when we marry and start a family.

Again, stop taking away the agency of an adult in her 20s.
    When did I take away Florence's agency? You're saying most women want to marry young and with older men. I'm just saying the current trend is marrying later and with someone closer to their age, if they do get married at all.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Mighty Member

Going forward, I don't see why characters like Black Widow and Hawkeye can't be considered for the mantle
    Well, Black Widow being Russian probably has something to do with why she didn't make the list. And in the comics, Hawkeye actually was Tony Stark's pick to take over the mantle after Civil War, but Barton quit when he realized Tony wanted a stooge, not a real Cap. Considering Walker's role here, I feel like Barton would have the same qualms about working under this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Laura Barton's not really very popular though.
    Other people's poor taste is not my concern. Not only is Laura Barton played by one of my favorite actresses, but I'm in that weird minority of people who think the Hawkeye's farm stuff actually makes AoU a better film. It's a bit random, that being the point, but it establishes Clint as the only member of the team who isn't a broken loner which is thematically relevant to the rest of the movie.

BANNED

Does being a naturalized citizen disqualify you? If Natasha were naturalized, I don't think it'd be a big deal if she were Cap. They'd probably have to make up a backstory for her though.

BANNED

When did I take away Florence's agency? You're saying most women want to marry young and with older men. I'm just saying the current trend is marrying later and with someone closer to their age, if they do get married at all.
    Women in their 20s and 30s tend to prefer marrying guys in their 30s, who are financially established.

She made her choice, leave them be.

Ultimate Member

The trend is going up I think because women actually can earn more to depend on themselves. Ultimately I feel they should keep the age gaps to a minimum

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Well, Black Widow being Russian probably has something to do with why she didn't make the list. And in the comics, Hawkeye actually was Tony Stark's pick to take over the mantle after Civil War, but Barton quit when he realized Tony wanted a stooge, not a real Cap. Considering Walker's role here, I feel like Barton would have the same qualms about working under this situation.

Other people's poor taste is not my concern. Not only is Laura Barton played by one of my favorite actresses, but I'm in that weird minority of people who think the Hawkeye's farm stuff actually makes AoU a better film. It's a bit random, that being the point, but it establishes Clint as the only member of the team who isn't a broken loner which is thematically relevant to the rest of the movie.
    I respect your opinion, but IMO Hawkeye's family was stupid and a weak replacement for actual character development

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The trend is going up I think because women actually can earn more to depend on themselves. Ultimately I feel they should keep the age gaps to a minimum
    That's your opinion. Others disagree.

Most women prefer men their age or older, leaning toward older. Many are repulsed at the idea of dating their own age or younger. Those are the type who want someone as established or more established than they are.

I'm 29, and I've been with women 21 years older and (recently) 7 years younger. Mutual interest. Older women don't consider me a serious long-term companion because I'm not someone they can present as being at their level socially when they have dinner with friends their age, but younger women do see that potential.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 03-26-2021 at 09:13 AM.