Page 50 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, and a lot of it dates back to silver Age when American writers didn't really think as thoroughly about it
    True. Honestly, though, I doubt many care now, except if they are writing “realistic” stories specific to the Cold War. They figure their primary audience won’t know the difference and the relative few who do mostly won’t mind, both of which assumptions are almost certainly correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    They were giving supplies to "the displaced." From context, people who weren't snapped who have apparently been pushed out of their homes/jobs by the people who have returned. They haven't gotten more specific so far. They seem to think that more resources or consideration are being given to the returned. "They care more about those who came back than those left behind," I believe was the line.

It makes you wonder how things like prior ownership of property have been handled. If you owned this house at the time of the snap, but were disappeared, whose house is it now? It can't belong to both you and the current owner, if there is one. What about jobs? Do people who returned get their old employment back, even if those jobs have been filled by new people since?

They generally seem to believe that the people who ran the world prior to Thanos sucked, and that they shouldn't just be given back the reins of power on account of existing again. There are elements of economic, political, and even generational messaging in what we've heard so far, but it's all been kind of glossed over.

All we know for sure is that the Flag Smashers feel like they've been screwed over by the return. That they have been disadvantaged in some way, or that they feel lesser. It's hard to get a read on them exactly because the show has been vague about exactly what their issues are. Probably because they don't want to bog down in the minutiae of how the Blip is being handled on the ground.
    Didn't May Parker return to her apartment with new people already there?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Didn't May Parker return to her apartment with new people already there?
    Yes, she reappeared in her old apartment, terrifying the new residents. I'm not sure that film ever cleared up whether May and Peter live there now, or if they got a new place afterward, and I honestly didn't pay enough attention to the sets to recognize if it was meant to be the same apartment or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I thought this had all been put to bed ages ago? The Endgame writers were clear on their intention (same timeline) from the start, and even the Russo's, who didn't totally agree, have come around to seeing it the same way, if I correctly remember a short article CBR posted a while ago about it.
    Do you have a source on that? 'Cause even the most recent interview I remember they gave about the topic had them saying that Steve lived out his life in an alternate timeline before coming back to the main one. I find their explanation to be more internally consistent than the one that the writers gave. The Loki series will probably shed more light on time travel along with Kang showing up in Ant-Man 3. Until then, I think it's a 'choose your adventure' option, you can either choose to believe that Cap was Peggy's husband all along in the main timeline or that he lived out his life in an alternate timeline before coming back to the main one.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    True. Honestly, though, I doubt many care now, except if they are writing “realistic” stories specific to the Cold War. They figure their primary audience won’t know the difference and the relative few who do mostly won’t mind, both of which assumptions are almost certainly correct.
    True. I hope they'll be more accurate about existing nations going forward

I thought this had all been put to bed ages ago? The Endgame writers were clear on their intention (same timeline) from the start, and even the Russo's, who didn't totally agree, have come around to seeing it the same way, if I correctly remember a short article CBR posted a while ago about it.
    Actually, no. In February of this year the Russos said that their interpretation is that Steve and Peggy were married in another timeline and that Old Steve was visiting from that timeline, presumably using the equipment and Pym particles he took with him on his final mission to return the stones. Which, frankly, is a much neater and, in that any of this is believable, more believable solution. It has the virtue of avoiding all sorts of controversies around ethics and social responsibility as pertaining to foreknowledge of events. It also gracefully dodges the quagmire of Sharon knowing two different Steves and the, well, ickiness that would imply for the attraction in Civil War.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    They were giving supplies to "the displaced." From context, people who weren't snapped who have apparently been pushed out of their homes/jobs by the people who have returned. They haven't gotten more specific so far. They seem to think that more resources or consideration are being given to the returned. "They care more about those who came back than those left behind," I believe was the line.

It makes you wonder how things like prior ownership of property have been handled. If you owned this house at the time of the snap, but were disappeared, whose house is it now? It can't belong to both you and the current owner, if there is one. What about jobs? Do people who returned get their old employment back, even if those jobs have been filled by new people since?

They generally seem to believe that the people who ran the world prior to Thanos sucked, and that they shouldn't just be given back the reins of power on account of existing again. There are elements of economic, political, and even generational messaging in what we've heard so far, but it's all been kind of glossed over.

All we know for sure is that the Flag Smashers feel like they've been screwed over by the return. That they have been disadvantaged in some way, or that they feel lesser. It's hard to get a read on them exactly because the show has been vague about exactly what their issues are. Probably because they don't want to bog down in the minutiae of how the Blip is being handled on the ground.
    Few words here and where aren't enough to show what happened to the world after people returned. And without it, it is hard to understand Flag-Smashers actions. Sam and Bucky, and new Captain, all seems to care more about them being super-soldiers, than about their actual goals.

Actually, no. In February of this year the Russos said that their interpretation is that Steve and Peggy were married in another timeline and that Old Steve was visiting from that timeline, presumably using the equipment and Pym particles he took with him on his final mission to return the stones. Which, frankly, is a much neater and, in that any of this is believable, more believable solution. It has the virtue of avoiding all sorts of controversies around ethics and social responsibility as pertaining to foreknowledge of events. It also gracefully dodges the quagmire of Sharon knowing two different Steves and the, well, ickiness that would imply for the attraction in Civil War.
    I guess we'll never know who Peggy's Earth-1 husband was...

Spectacular Member

And Steve probably thought the whole thing was funny as hell.
    And if he was ever sad about letting Bucky be tortured for 70 years, HYDRA spread like cancer in SHIELD, letting hundreds or thousands of preventable tragedies happen, condoning all of the civil injustices in the world he would demand sex and she happily obliged. Or if she ever began to get suspicious he would ram his tongue down her throat and she would just forget she was ever thinking she was aiding terrorists in their long game.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Or, and hear me out here, maybe none of that happened because Steve disclosed everything he knew about hydra, Bucky and every other preventable tragedy he knew of. Just like he would have told Peggy everything before they ever got involved.

Of the two scenarios, I’m willing to bet mine is just a tiny bit more likely.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Like Latveria, Sokovia is set up as a small Eastern European nation that somehow escaped communist domination (perhaps by pulling a tricky balancing act like Finland) and maintained its traditional political and social structures as they would have been circa 1914. Of course, Latveria had the advantage in the comics of Doom’s presence. Maybe Sokovia is a neighbor that managed to go along for the ride.
    It's hard to track how Marvel Europe tracks to RW Europe, esp with the sliding timeline. Originally Reed, Ben and Victor were all of draft age in WW II. Ben became a fighter pilot and Reed was in the OSS while Victor had gone off to Tibet before the war got underway. Of course that can't be true now but Marvel has never really revisited their origins timeline. They did in the Heroes Reborn FF where Ben is shown to have served in the Gulf War instead but even that can't be used anymore.

I'm curious to see how Marvel merges the FF and Doom into the MCU since the presence has never been acknowledged when the FF IP was owned by Fox. One way they could do it is if they were around but somehow dropped off the grid. One way they could do it is to maybe use the Microverse or Doom's Liddleville Tech as the reason . In both stories, Doom traps the FF into these environments. Since we've already been introduced to the Microverse in the Ant Man movie, that could be the most likely of the two. Perhaps they all became trapped in the Liddleville environment. Maybe the Puppet Master, who was allied with Doom, betrays him and maroons all of them there.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It's hard to track how Marvel Europe tracks to RW Europe, esp with the sliding timeline. Originally Reed, Ben and Victor were all of draft age in WW II. Ben became a fighter pilot and Reed was in the OSS while Victor had gone off to Tibet before the war got underway. Of course that can't be true now but Marvel has never really revisited their origins timeline. They did in the Heroes Reborn FF where Ben is shown to have served in the Gulf War instead but even that can't be used anymore.

I'm curious to see how Marvel merges the FF and Doom into the MCU since the presence has never been acknowledged when the FF IP was owned by Fox. One way they could do it is if they were around but somehow dropped off the grid. One way they could do it is to maybe use the Microverse or Doom's Liddleville Tech as the reason . In both stories, Doom traps the FF into these environments. Since we've already been introduced to the Microverse in the Ant Man movie, that could be the most likely of the two. Perhaps they all became trapped in the Liddleville environment. Maybe the Puppet Master, who was allied with Doom, betrays him and maroons all of them there.
    Wasn't there going to be a mini-series to correct all that, where a number of heroes and villains, including Reed and Ben, participated in a fictional, but updated, version of the Vietnam War?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Thanky my dude

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Wasn't there going to be a mini-series to correct all that, where a number of heroes and villains, including Reed and Ben, participated in a fictional, but updated, version of the Vietnam War?
    Their service was retconned in Waid's History of the Marvel U. at Busiek's behest with the introduction of the Sian-Kong War, using a Silver Age Thor (IIRC) nation. It's being explored again in The Marvels coming up.

This show is SO messy but I'm enjoying it a lot. I feel like there are too many moving pieces currently for me to have a good handle on how it will end, but it has definitely set up some great plots - I hope they can land a full and satisfying show by the end.

I think the pacing is all over the place, but it's forgivable because it's never boring. All the actors have great chemistry and that was expanded upon even more so in episode 3 with the introduction of Zemo. We didn't see enough of Zemo in Civil War to gauge what his character was like outside of his motive, so i don't mind the way his character has been handled so far in the show.

Madripoor has been the highlight for me. I've always thought that one of Marvel's drawbacks were that the "world outside your window" idea means that they have to rely on real world settings too much that they sometimes don't feel too interesting In comparison to places like Gotham and Metropolis. Madripoor being so unlike anything in the real world really opens up some great avenues for future shows and movies to explore - Give me a Wolverine movie set solely in Madripoor right now please. The neon soaked, Blade Runner-esque city scape of high town mixed with the lawless, pirate safe haven of low town makes this a great addition to the universe.

Overall, I'm still really enjoying the show and I think I'll still really enjoy it by the finale, however I wish they'd just take their time in telling the story - I can't help but feel an extra episode or two would really help its pacing. Let's see.