Page 23 of 104 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Since the showrunners said this show will tackle race, I wonder how they'll address the optics of an African American man enacting government sanctioned violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Since the showrunners said this show will tackle race, I wonder how they'll address the optics of an African American man enacting government sanctioned violence.
    Same as with African Americans in the military. More likely they will show topics like discrimination and some kind of white supremacy complex.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Same as with African Americans in the military. More likely they will show topics like discrimination and some kind of white supremacy complex.
    I mean him being part of the same machine which has suppressed PoC for so long. Maybe the conflict is "Can I reform it?"

I mean him being part of the same machine which has suppressed PoC for so long. Maybe the conflict is "Can I reform it?"
    I don't see them going that route with Sam.

BANNED

I let the killing thing slide with super soldiers, since they've been sanctioned to use that power, unlike vigilantes.

Cap was throwing guys of of planes their death back in the First Avenger.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

It was a good episode, and a great way to start the show. Probably not as much action as one would've expected, but I'm glad about it, because it prioritized doing the work that needed to be done on the characters' personal developments first before jumping into the big action. And I mean, we still gone one hell of an action scene in the very beginning that made up for the lack of it on the remaining scenes.

Everything done with Sam and Bucky on this episode just clearly goes to show why those shows were so necessary to the MCU. It's wild how one episode gave us so much insight that never was given in any movie AT ALL. Sam actually felt like a three-dimensional character with a life and struggles of his own. Bucky's mental state is FINALLY properly addressed instead of him just feeling like Steve's plot point in the movies. I like that very much. Disney+ is a game changer for the MCU, and I couldn't be happier about it.

spoilers:
    The Bucky/Yori scenes... goddamn it, it really broke my heart. I was wondering where they were going with that unusual friendship, and when they revealed the connection between the two of them, it really hit me like a ton of bricks. I hope this is not a plot point they just drop. I actually wanna see this being further explored. Bucky didn't cross the Nakajima name from his list, did he? So I think this is definitely something that needs to come back to haunt him.
    end of spoilers

I LOVE Sarah Wilson and I hope we still get a lot more of her.

The Flag-Smashers are definitely an interesting bunch of antagonists. At least in the first episode they're not represented as cut and dried villains, and I like that. It's interesting that their motivation spoilers:
    is directly connected to the Blip, in a sort of ''Thanos was right'' kind of way.
    end of spoilers It's not something I ever thought that could be a ''villain origin story'', but I really like the idea now.

My only complaint is what I said before: spoilers:
    Joaquin Torres being turned into yet another generic military guy in the MCU feels like a slap in the face. For a show that promised to be woke about race, they really couldn't keep the same energy for their immigrant comic book character. I think it comes off specially bad when there's been so much talk about undocumented immigrants in the US and the subhuman way they can be treated by the government. Like.... it was their chance to actually tackle an important subject here, but they just couldn't help themselves with the usual MCU military propaganda, even when they are trying to be critical of the US government. Which is not to say I didn't think the character in the show is bad. I actually liked Danny Ramirez in the role and think he works well with what he is supposed to be in this story.... it's just naming him after an undocumented immigrant superhero whose whole deal was trying to help other people like him that really irks me.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 03-19-2021 at 02:11 PM.

Ultimate Member

I don't see them going that route with Sam.
    Ok. I remember hearing the showrunners mentioning something like that but I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I let the killing thing slide with super soldiers, since they've been sanctioned to use that power, unlike vigilantes.

Cap was throwing guys of of planes their death back in the First Avenger.
    Well, Cap was at war. That's different. These guys are at peace technically

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Joaquin Torres being turned into yet another generic military guy in the MCU feels like a slap in the face. For a show that promised to be woke about race, they really couldn't keep the same energy for their immigrant comic book character. I think it comes off specially bad when there's been so much talk about undocumented immigrants in the US and the subhuman way they can be treated by the government. Like.... it was their chance to actually tackle an important subject here, but they just couldn't help themselves with the usual MCU military propaganda, even when they are trying to be critical of the US government. Which is not to say I didn't think the character in the show is bad. I actually liked Danny Ramirez in the role and think he works well with what he is supposed to be in this story.... it's just naming him after an undocumented immigrant superhero whose whole deal was trying to help other people like him that really irks me.
    end of spoilers
    Is he confirmed to be that character?

Is he confirmed to be that character?
    Yeah. The showrunner already said his name, and it's also in the credits.

Ultimate Member

Yeah. The showrunner already said his name, and it's also in the credits.
    I see. I wonder if he'll become more like his 616 version

I see. I wonder if he'll become more like his 616 version
    I feel like that's pretty much impossible at this point. He definitely can't have the same backstory if he actively works for the US government, and he can't have his Falcon origin story when Redwing (the REAL one) doesn't even exist in the MCU. If they can't even give Sam his bird and related powers, I find it hard to believe they would turn a supporting character into a human/bird hybrid hero. Seems to be really against the whole military/realistic vibe they're going with these characters. At most, I see him getting some tech wings and becoming Falcon 2.0 as the sidekick of the new Captain America.

1. Sam's fighting skills have improved, he did pretty good against Batroc and his crew. Thank you. With that said, I want to see how he's going to handle the souped up Flag Smashers. Whatever they're taking has them pretty jacked up. We'll have to see if they're bullet proof.
    Sam didn't seem to want to think about the possibility of them having some variant of the Super Soldier serum.
    2. They apparently will have Sam and Bucky kill. I have no problem with this depending on the situation and who they're facing. This isn't 616 Sam(he's alot closer to Ultimate Sam) so I'm not bothered.
    I was thinking to myself "Oh, that dude doesn't have a parachute. Oh, that dude caught a stray bullet! Oh, he just blew up a lot of people on a plane via Redwing."

But I guess he didn't vaporize a dude in front of some kids?
    John Walker looks like a corn fed goofball and I think that's a good look for him starting out. He needs to be patriotic as heck before he realizes that his gov't isn't as patriotic as he is. Unless he already knows and it doesn't really matter to him.
    I figure this version of Walker doesn't know any better and is just doing what his government is telling him to do.
    end of spoilers
    They basically took a similar route that they took with adapting Bucky into the MCU, which I guess is kind of fitting in a way.

Ultimate Member

I feel like that's pretty much impossible at this point. He definitely can't have the same backstory if he actively works for the US government, and he can't have his Falcon origin story when Redwing (the REAL one) doesn't even exist in the MCU. If they can't even give Sam his bird and related powers, I find it hard to believe they would turn a supporting character into a human/bird hybrid hero. Seems to be really against the whole military/realistic vibe they're going with these characters. At most, I see him getting some tech wings and becoming Falcon 2.0 as the sidekick of the new Captain America.
    Isn't he also supposed to be considerably younger than Sam Wilson, if I'm not mistaken?

BANNED

Well, Cap was at war. That's different. These guys are at peace technically
    They're essentially CIA operatives. They've got license to kill in order to complete their missions. They're trained and not taking the law into their own hands. They can be held accountable for poor judgment.

BANNED

Sam's new friend might inherit Riley's gear.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 03-19-2021 at 03:31 PM.