Page 44 of 104 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Well it's definitely valid to want real locales. Technically Transia was located in Serbia on Handbook maps and Latveria in or around Hungary. So they have locations in actual countries of the real world. They are just fictional because of the creative process and that Doom isn't factually a leader of Hungary. So he's instead a leader of the fictional Latveria.
    I didn't mean to come across as condescending or patronizing. So if you felt that way, I apologize. I'm just a weird dude who has a VERY different perspective on things when it comes to comic book movies and shows than most of the comic book reading posters here on CBR. Plus, I enjoy watching Rick Steves' Europe on PBS, so that's probably influenced my views on keeping the MCU as true to life as possible. But it's totally fine if people want more wild and crazy fictional worlds. Hell, I even thought the Emerald City and the Land of Oz were pretty cool ideas and still do. But I agree that Doom CAN'T rule a real country. Especially in the way he does it. I just feel if he is ALREADY ruler of Latveria and has got this army of Doombots, wouldn't they have participated in the Battle of Earth in Endgame? It makes no sense to me that fictional Wakandans fought in Infinity War, but fictional Latverians did not. So I think Marvel Studios might be starting to build Latveria from the rubble of Sokovia. And Falcon and the Winter Soldier might get things going with Zemo appearing in it.

I do think it was sad that Wanda lost her "Europeanness" in WandaVision. I'm not sure how many superheroes are from "Eastern Europe and/or Southern Europe", but I don't think it's many. I didn't watch the Deadpool movies, so I'm not certain if Colossus even spoke a word of Russian in them. I know that Natasha sure as hell didn't in her movies. Romanoff's loving PB&Js was weird to me. I don't know much about Russian cuisine, but I thought it would have been cool and educational if she liked something from the old country. The Sokovian greeting in WandaVision was funny, but it felt weird because you knew Olsen was NOT European. Hell, Bettany was more "foreign" in WandaVision than SHE was!!! At least with paprikash in Civil War, I learned about a new dish. From Hungary. A lot of fans did too. I really hope Doom isn't Americanized and talks like Terry Bradshaw!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 03-30-2021 at 01:26 PM.

They wanted to use Hank and Jan at first. Jan was even in concept art for the Avengers. It's just that the Ant-Man script took so long, all that got scrapped.
    Oh, is that so? I thought it was always gonna be Scott and Hope. AoU would have been VERY different if they used different Avengers. But I feel that a show instead of a movie would have fleshed out the characters a bit more. Particularly Ultron. Man they wasted Spader in that film. He was SO funny in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I didn't mean to come across as condescending or patronizing. So if you felt that way, I apologize. I'm just a weird dude who has a VERY different perspective on things when it comes to comic book movies and shows than most of the comic book reading posters here on CBR. Plus, I enjoy watching Rick Steves' Europe on PBS, so that's probably influenced my views on keeping the MCU as true to life as possible. But it's totally fine if people want more wild and crazy fictional worlds. Hell, I even thought the Emerald City and the Land of Oz were pretty cool ideas and still do. But I agree that Doom CAN'T rule a real country. Especially in the way he does it. I just feel if he is ALREADY ruler of Latveria and has got this army of Doombots, wouldn't they have participated in the Battle of Earth in Endgame? It makes no sense to me that fictional Wakandans fought in Infinity War, but fictional Latverians did not. So I think Marvel Studios might be starting to build Latveria from the rubble of Sokovia. And Falcon and the Winter Soldier might get things going with Zemo appearing in it.

I do think it was sad that Wanda lost her "Europeanness" in WandaVision. I'm not sure how many superheroes are from "Eastern Europe and/or Southern Europe", but I don't think it's many. I didn't watch the Deadpool movies, so I'm not certain if Colossus even spoke a word of Russian in them. I know that Natasha sure as hell didn't in her movies. Romanoff's loving PB&Js was weird to me. I don't know much about Russian cuisine, but I thought it would have been cool and educational if she liked something from the old country. The Sokovian greeting in WandaVision was funny, but it felt weird because you know Olsen is NOT European. Hell, Bettany was more "foreign" in WandaVision than SHE was!!! :P At least with paprikash in Civil War, I learned about a new dish. From Hungary. A lot of fans did too. I really hope Doom isn't Americanized and talks like Terry Bradshaw!
    Doom has his own reasons and motivations for things, so he might have prioritized his own people over anything else. He might have been trying to invent something to keep his people safe from the snap. And that could be some of what they use to create a loyalty from his people to him. He's also partially magic so he could also guarantee people were brought back. It could also be that he's younger in this universe and hasn't been leader yet. But I feel an ancient castle would still already be there before his ascension. They could also do a thing like with the Flag Smashers where Latverians weren't blipped, but had a better existence in the blipped world and that existence was with Doom as their leader.

Hollywood movies tend to erase any European-ness. As much as they tend to erase some ethnicity or race.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Oh, is that so? I thought it was always gonna be Scott and Hope. AoU would have been VERY different if they used different Avengers. But I feel that a show instead of a movie would have fleshed out the characters a bit more. Particularly Ultron. Man they wasted Spader in that film. He was SO funny in it.
    It would have been good if Ant-Man 1 came out in Phase 1, then we could've had Spader making bug jokes!

Honestly Doom talking like Terry Bradshaw would either be atrocious, hilarious, or both!

Doom has his own reasons and motivations for things, so he might have prioritized his own people over anything else. He might have been trying to invent something to keep his people safe from the snap. And that could be some of what they use to create a loyalty from his people to him. He's also partially magic so he could also guarantee people were brought back. It could also be that he's younger in this universe and hasn't been leader yet. But I feel an ancient castle would still already be there before his ascension. They could also do a thing like with the Flag Smashers where Latverians weren't blipped, but had a better existence in the blipped world and that existence was with Doom as their leader.

Hollywood movies tend to erase any European-ness. As much as they tend to erase some ethnicity or race.
    I would love to see more castles in the MCU! America is not well-known for its castles, so maybe set Latveria in Bavaria where there are a lot of old ones. I like your idea about the Latverians wanting to live in blipped world. But wouldn't they erect monuments to Thanos and the Black Order for making it happen?

Hopefully, Disney will improve its portrayals of Europeans in future MCU projects. And no, I'm not including the UK and Ireland as Europeans in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It would have been good if Ant-Man 1 came out in Phase 1, then we could've had Spader making bug jokes!

Honestly Doom talking like Terry Bradshaw would either be atrocious, hilarious, or both!
    Yeah, I would have loved to see Spader's Ultron trade quips with whoever played Hank in AoU. Doom talking like Bradshaw would be atrocious and hilarious. And he probably would love Cajun cuisine too and become friends with Sam because of that.

I would love to see more castles in the MCU! America is not well-known for its castles, so maybe set Latveria in Bavaria where there are a lot of old ones. I like your idea about the Latverians wanting to live in blipped world. But wouldn't they erect monuments to Thanos and the Black Order for making it happen?

Hopefully, Disney will improve its portrayals of Europeans in future MCU projects. And no, I'm not including the UK and Ireland as Europeans in this instance.
    Doom would not let that happen. He'd take all the credit for keeping them safe from harm during the blip, so then they'd love him for it.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Doom would not let that happen. He'd take all the credit for keeping them safe from harm during the blip, so then they'd love him for it.
    What a fucking glory hog!

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I would have loved to see Spader's Ultron trade quips with whoever played Hank in AoU. Doom talking like Bradshaw would be atrocious and hilarious. And he probably would love Cajun cuisine too and become friends with Sam because of that.
    Honestly I feel Paul Rudd could've played Hank and someone else could've played Scott.

Cajun Doom sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

Honestly I feel Paul Rudd could've played Hank and someone else could've played Scott.

Cajun Doom sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!
    Rudd could have played Hank for sure. Cajun Doom would be awesome!

Ultimate Member

Rudd could have played Hank for sure. Cajun Doom would be awesome!
    I assume in that reality Hank would be Yellowjacket by now

Yeah, that's probably true. But I don't know if Marvel Studios would want to deal with his personality changes, however. And on a previous note, I just want to say that I'm glad that Disney shot parts of Doctor Strange in Nepal as well. I know they did some work in Nepal to avoid censorship in China, but I think it was great to see a rather obscure, exotic and isolated nation get some exposure. The production team shot exterior scenes in several Kathmandu locations, including Pashupati, home of Pashupatinath Temple, and Lalitpur’s Patan Durbar Square, a UNESCO World Heritage site. And there were PLENTY of Nepali people present in the filming too. That made that first Strange movie really unique to me. Plenty of movies are shot in China and India, but how many are in Nepal?

https://www.quora.com/Was-Dr-Strange...-shot-in-Nepal

Of course, most MCU fans don't care about this ****, but I certainly do. I think the Falcon and the Winter Soldier is doing a good job of making Americans show respect to local cultures by speaking their languages. Of course unauthorized US military incursions can be considered problematic, but at least US troops TRIED to respect international boundaries in episode one.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, that's probably true. But I don't know if Marvel Studios would want to deal with his personality changes, however. And on a previous note, I just want to say that I'm glad that Disney shot parts of Doctor Strange in Nepal as well. I know they did some work in Nepal to avoid censorship in China, but I think it was great to see a rather obscure, exotic and isolated nation get some exposure. The production team shot exterior scenes in several Kathmandu locations, including Pashupati, home of Pashupatinath Temple, and Lalitpur’s Patan Durbar Square, a UNESCO World Heritage site. And there were PLENTY of Nepali people present in the filming too. That made that first Strange movie really unique to me. Plenty of movies are shot in China and India, but how many are in Nepal?

https://www.quora.com/Was-Dr-Strange...-shot-in-Nepal

Of course, most MCU fans don't care about this ****, but I certainly do. I think the Falcon and the Winter Soldier is doing a good job of making Americans show respect to local cultures by speaking their languages. Of course unauthorized US military incursions can be considered problematic, but at least US troops TRIED to respect international boundaries in episode one.
    I'm surprised the US even cared about the Libyan border tbh

Dr Strange was originally in Tibet, wasn't it?

I'm surprised the US even cared about the Libyan border tbh

Dr Strange was originally in Tibet, wasn't it?
    I guess Disney cares enough, and that's good enough for me. I think Strange was supposed to be in Tibet, but Marvel Studios didn't shoot there because of politics. And I'm fine with that. If by shooting scenes in Nepal, Doctor Strange (2016) encouraged more tourism to Nepal, I think that's great. I don't think they're a very wealthy nation.

Ultimate Member

I guess Disney cares enough, and that's good enough for me. I think Strange was supposed to be in Tibet, but Marvel Studios didn't shoot there because of politics. And I'm fine with that. If by shooting scenes in Nepal, Doctor Strange (2016) encouraged more tourism to Nepal, I think that's great. I don't think they're a very wealthy nation.
    I hope there is more tourism to Nepal. I'd like to visit it one day