Page 49 of 104 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Like Latveria, Sokovia is set up as a small Eastern European nation that somehow escaped communist domination (perhaps by pulling a tricky balancing act like Finland) and maintained its traditional political and social structures as they would have been circa 1914. Of course, Latveria had the advantage in the comics of Doom’s presence. Maybe Sokovia is a neighbor that managed to go along for the ride.
    Balkans arent Eastern Europe.

And honestly I really wish Marvel would stay far away from the former Yugoslavia and the Warsaw pact countries. They clearly dont put any effort into thinking about them.

None of the countries dodged communism and just ignoring it is pretty ham fisted.

They didnt even use the title Barron in the Balkans the closest equivalent is Boyar.

And von is a german naming thing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by steel_atlas View Post
    Balkans arent Eastern Europe.

And honestly I really wish Marvel would stay far away from the former Yugoslavia and the Warsaw pact countries. They clearly dont put any effort into thinking about them.

None of the countries dodged communism and just ignoring it is pretty ham fisted.

They didnt even use the title Barron in the Balkans the closest equivalent is Boyar.

And von is a german naming thing.
    Yeah, and a lot of it dates back to silver Age when American writers didn't really think as thoroughly about it

Ok I need help this is bugging me!! Ok so Sharon is Peggy's granddaughter yes, ok if Steve & Peggy lived a life together cause he went back in time how is Sharon still around? At that point would the timeline not be changed if Peggy stayed with Steve she never married whoever it was she did before so she should no longer be around yes?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Ok I need help this is bugging me!! Ok so Sharon is Peggy's granddaughter yes, ok if Steve & Peggy lived a life together cause he went back in time how is Sharon still around? At that point would the timeline not be changed if Peggy stayed with Steve she never married whoever it was she did before so she should no longer be around yes?
    Sharon is Peggy's nice I think

Also I think going back in time creates a new timeline

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What's the significance of Zemo's mask? He looked at it fondly and then just randomly wore it for a cool action sequence before taking it off. Is that the only time he's going to wear it?
    Wasn't Zemo part of the Sokovia special forces maybe that's the mask he wore on missions.

I like how they totally got rid of Sokovia with a single line

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Wasn't Zemo part of the Sokovia special forces maybe that's the mask he wore on missions.

I like how they totally got rid of Sokovia with a single line
    I guess it could pass as a special ops mask.

I wonder if we won't see Zemo with a sword until he goes Citizen V.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Sharon is Peggy's nice I think

Also I think going back in time creates a new timeline
    Ok if its the nice makes more sense, but the new timeline thing is stupid like the way the Ancient 1 explained it's a whole separate thing from the current timeline so if that were the case Steve wouldn't have been able to meet up with Sam, & Bucky at the end of Endgame.

Ultimate Member

Ok if its the nice makes more sense, but the new timeline thing is stupid like the way the Ancient 1 explained it's a whole separate thing from the current timeline so if that were the case Steve wouldn't have been able to meet up with Sam, & Bucky at the end of Endgame.
    I assume he crossed back over from the other timeline. But the movie didn't explain that as far as i saw

The logical explanation ist that old Steve just traveled back from his timeline to give Sam the shield.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Mighty Member

Episode 3 was fun, and is the point at which our plot thickens. We have new suspects, and new questions. I'm enjoying the dynamics between our cast members. But I'm really curious where they are going with these last couple of episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it could pass as a special ops mask.

I wonder if we won't see Zemo with a sword until he goes Citizen V.
    Ha, was hoping the same thing! Hope Zemo gets the sword before becoming Citizen V. As an aside, rewatched the episode. I've begun to appreciate it more. I like how the show plays Zemo. The conniving, the smoothness, he's going to betray the group. The question is when. spoilers:
    I'm still a little iffy about Sam and Bucky accepting Zemo after he killed Nagel. C'mon, Zemo did that to hide something! I get that the pair still need him. But are they willing to overlook what he did?
    end of spoilers Warming up to John Walker, though I'm feeling he's going to take a dark turn soon. And ultimately, who is the Power Broker? I agree the plot is thickening. Looking forward to where it ends up!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I thought this had all been put to bed ages ago? The Endgame writers were clear on their intention (same timeline) from the start, and even the Russo's, who didn't totally agree, have come around to seeing it the same way, if I correctly remember a short article CBR posted a while ago about it.

Screwing with the past does not change the future, it just creates branching timelines. Steve went back in the "real" timeline, returned the Stones, and prevented those branches from ever happening. The Peggy he meets up with in the past is *his* Peggy, from the "real" timeline, and that's where they stay. That's why you never, ever see any photos of Peggy's husband, and why he's never mentioned by name; Peggy and Steve had to keep his presence a complete secret or risk creating new branching timelines.

Given all the warnings Banner was given about branching timelines, warnings that would've been passed on to Steve....does anyone really think he'd break history himself, just for the sake of his own happiness? Steve's final mission was to "clip all the branches" and erase those new timelines, he's not about to purposefully create, and then go live in one.

As for Sharon, she was close to Peg but that doesn't mean she was close to Peggy's husband, and any interactions they did had? Sharon would've been young, talking to an older man, with no reason to ever think that he was, somehow, a long dead WWII hero come back from the grave *and* the future. When Sharon got older, any similarity she might've noticed between Peggy's husband and Steve would've been written off as Peggy having a type. And if Peggy ever slipped up and gave away the secret when she was suffering from dementia, it would've been written off by everyone as her dementia and nothing more.

I figure Peggy set Steve up with a fake identity, "Roger Steveson" or something, and because Steve is a horrible liar they fashioned a fake history that closely resembled Steve's actual history, so if he slipped up and said he served and fought in this particular place....well, he was saved by Captain America, can you believe it? Steve was a stay-at-home husband who stayed away from all of Peggy's company picnics for fear of running into Howard Stark or a Howling Commando who might recognize him. People probably felt bad for Peggy's invisible husband, who didn't even warrant a photo on her desk while the long-dead Captain America did. "Roger" was a cuckold husband, a second place filler because Steve was dead, and I'm sure there was plenty of water cooler gossip around the office about it, and how sorry everyone felt for "Roger," knowing that Peggy married him only because she couldn't have the man she really wanted, but if she squinted her eyes, "Roger" looked a little bit like him.

And Steve probably thought the whole thing was funny as hell.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-02-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Ha, was hoping the same thing! Hope Zemo gets the sword before becoming Citizen V. As an aside, rewatched the episode. I've begun to appreciate it more. I like how the show plays Zemo. The conniving, the smoothness, he's going to betray the group. The question is when. spoilers:
    I'm still a little iffy about Sam and Bucky accepting Zemo after he killed Nagel. C'mon, Zemo did that to hide something! I get that the pair still need him. But are they willing to overlook what he did?
    end of spoilers Warming up to John Walker, though I'm feeling he's going to take a dark turn soon. And ultimately, who is the Power Broker? I agree the plot is thickening. Looking forward to where it ends up!
    To your spoiler, not necessariliy. spoilers:
    Zemo hates supers. This guy could make them. Zemo doesn't want this guy's brain in the world.
    end of spoilers

Fantastic Member

I still don't understand who are the Flag-Smashers. What are their goals and what are they trying to achieve? Are they against people who returned after Blip was undone? Why? Why and for whom are they stealing things?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harasar View Post
    I still don't understand who are the Flag-Smashers. What are their goals and what are they trying to achieve? Are they against people who returned after Blip was undone? Why? Why and for whom are they stealing things?
    They were giving supplies to "the displaced." From context, people who weren't snapped who have apparently been pushed out of their homes/jobs by the people who have returned. They haven't gotten more specific so far. They seem to think that more resources or consideration are being given to the returned. "They care more about those who came back than those left behind," I believe was the line.

It makes you wonder how things like prior ownership of property have been handled. If you owned this house at the time of the snap, but were disappeared, whose house is it now? It can't belong to both you and the current owner, if there is one. What about jobs? Do people who returned get their old employment back, even if those jobs have been filled by new people since?

They generally seem to believe that the people who ran the world prior to Thanos sucked, and that they shouldn't just be given back the reins of power on account of existing again. There are elements of economic, political, and even generational messaging in what we've heard so far, but it's all been kind of glossed over.

All we know for sure is that the Flag Smashers feel like they've been screwed over by the return. That they have been disadvantaged in some way, or that they feel lesser. It's hard to get a read on them exactly because the show has been vague about exactly what their issues are. Probably because they don't want to bog down in the minutiae of how the Blip is being handled on the ground.