Page 97 of 104 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1552
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Yeah true, welp wrong example then.
    But still, he wasn't called Captain America. They at least gave him a name that was a bit unique.
    I think with Eli...and with Kamala...it was a name that was not in use. With Eli it was not in use for a while and with Kamala Carol had just given it up. They weren't killing off or incapacitating the legacy character to free up the name.

Going trhough some vids on his page....you're right.
    He barely mentions ANYTHING positive like you said. I mean I think being critical is good thing but that shouldn't be at the expense of not praising where it's due.

Also I agree with what you've said regarding the comics medium. In comics, the mantle will ALWAYS go back to the OG owner (although DC does have lots of GLs and Flashes, but that's due to the mythos and crises of those characters).
    Steve = Cap.
    Sam = Falcon
    Stark = Iron Man
    etc.

BUT
    in live-action there's no reboot or retcon shenanigans so you have to pass the mantle. Evans can't stay around forever, Renner can't stsy around forever, etc.
    It feels way more natural. Sam has fought for the shield and has now earned it IMO.

Thanks for the insight Killerbee911!
    Or they could go the James Bond route....Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan, Craig...but fans would have a conniption over that as well.

Can you imagine that..."I don't care that Chris Evans is 97 years old and in a wheel chair...you're monsters for recasting Captain America!!!!"
    Last edited by Chris0013; 04-27-2021 at 07:37 AM.

Going trhough some vids on his page....you're right.
    He barely mentions ANYTHING positive like you said. I mean I think being critical is good thing but that shouldn't be at the expense of not praising where it's due.

Also I agree with what you've said regarding the comics medium. In comics, the mantle will ALWAYS go back to the OG owner (although DC does have lots of GLs and Flashes, but that's due to the mythos and crises of those characters).
    Steve = Cap.
    Sam = Falcon
    Stark = Iron Man
    etc.

BUT
    in live-action there's no reboot or retcon shenanigans so you have to pass the mantle. Evans can't stay around forever, Renner can't stsy around forever, etc.
    It feels way more natural. Sam has fought for the shield and has now earned it IMO.

Thanks for the insight Killerbee911!
    Exactly. I listened to Rippa before, but it became clear he and lot of others were just pandering to the people who get outraged in seeing diverse faces in media. I brushed off a lot of it cause I’m not American so a lot of the stuff goes over my head
    But why are you having a negative take on everything, why is every single thing that’s not just white people having adventures woke , it really started to do something to my soul. And the thing that really gets me is the dishonesty in the messaging. Falcon becoming Cap is a demotion, and we should celebrate the Black Characters but I will bet dollars to the donuts he didn’t check out the last Falcon series. But made sure he took time to rant about Sam when he gets the shield. F outta here. This is a huge moment that makes sense considering the overall narrative for a character who’s already established as a legacy, hopefully it’s handled a little better than it would be in the comics but all that negativity is not needed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Exactly. I listened to Rippa before, but it became clear he and lot of others were just pandering to the people who get outraged in seeing diverse faces in media. I brushed off a lot of it cause I’m not American so a lot of the stuff goes over my head
    But why are you having a negative take on everything, why is every single thing that’s not just white people having adventures woke , it really started to do something to my soul. And the thing that really gets me is the dishonesty in the messaging. Falcon becoming Cap is a demotion, and we should celebrate the Black Characters but I will bet dollars to the donuts he didn’t check out the last Falcon series. But made sure he took time to rant about Sam when he gets the shield. F outta here. This is a huge moment that makes sense considering the overall narrative for a character who’s already established as a legacy, hopefully it’s handled a little better than it would be in the comics but all that negativity is not needed.
    With these kind of people, it's hard to take anything they say at face value. They can be right sometimes, despite themselves. But really it's just outrage to get views. Some may not like Sam becoming Cap. I've said myself it's not necessary, for several reasons, but i'm perfectly fine with it in the end. However, as you've pointed out, just bashing these characters isn't enough. We also have to show support for Black and other PoC heroes too. So if he's only being negative, I wouldn't really trust him.

Also it's ironic how they call everything else pandering, when that's entirely the content of their videos

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The mantle of Captain America is more than just Steve, as American diversifies and becomes more open minded, the 'face' of America cannot just be a blonde white man. Sam as Cap represents another facet of America and this series has shown the difference he can make as Cap.
    Yeah, although the ideals of Captain America were personified by Steve Rogers.
    Way to misrepresent what EVC actually said:
    I'm really not getting a clear picture of Sharon's character now, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    With these kind of people, it's hard to take anything they say at face value. They can be right sometimes, despite themselves. But really it's just outrage to get views. Some may not like Sam becoming Cap. I've said myself it's not necessary, for several reasons, but i'm perfectly fine with it in the end. However, as you've pointed out, just bashing these characters isn't enough. We also have to show support for Black and other PoC heroes too. So if he's only being negative, I wouldn't really trust him.

Also it's ironic how they call everything else pandering, when that's entirely the content of their videos
    You got it. Black character takes an existing mantle - whine and complain. Said char gets their own series - whine and complain. Non white non male writers getting books - whine and complain. Existing legacy black character gets a new book - crickets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    You got it. Black character takes an existing mantle - whine and complain. Said char gets their own series - whine and complain. Non white non male writers getting books - whine and complain. Existing legacy black character gets a new book - crickets
    Same with any PoC, or even female, character. It's tiring. At this point I just try to drown it out.

While each of us can have different ideas of representation, at least for us it comes from generally wanting better and more representation. But not those anti-SJW guys

It's their loss. The future of Marvel and other comic universes will only get more diverse

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

According to this Sharon was a bigger villain in the original filmed plot.

https://www.gamesradar.com/falcon-an...-make-the-cut/

Essentially Sharon rised Karli to be a child soldier and wanted to use her and the flag smashers to control the world. Their ideological differences drove them apart.

Finally, Falcon has an official logo-- every great hero deserves one! (should have happened decades ago)

https://www.superherostuff.com/the-f...logo-t-shirt-1

He also needs a baseball hat with the logo.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 04-27-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post

Essentially Sharon rised Karli to be a child soldier and wanted to use her and the flag smashers to control the world. Their ideological differences drove them apart.
    That sounds even worse.

Fantastic Member

So in seven years, Sharon has a massive ideological shift, adopts a teenager, tries to indoctrinate said teenager and turn her into a child soldier, and they have a falling out, all while building a powerful underground empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That sounds even worse.
    It really does.

I would like SOME explanation how a rogue CIA agent on the run managed to basically own Madripoor to this extent...

That... that's quite the shift.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    So in seven years, Sharon has a massive ideological shift, adopts a teenager, tries to indoctrinate said teenager and turn her into a child soldier, and they have a falling out, all while building a powerful underground empire.
    Give her an eye patch and call her Big Boss.

The show needed all of this.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Or they could go the James Bond route....Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan, Craig...but fans would have a conniption over that as well.

Can you imagine that..."I don't care that Chris Evans is 97 years old and in a wheel chair...you're monsters for recasting Captain America!!!!"
    Marvel kind of killed this approach themselves. Since the very start, they've put some effort into making the actors synonymous with their characters. Marvel *wanted* you to look at Robert Downy Jr. and see Tony Stark, yknow? Obviously recasting happens, and at *some* point, someday, they'll likely get new actors to do films with the characters, but as we're seeing with Chadwick Boseman, quickly switching from one actor to another just isn't happening. Marvel doesn't want you to think of their characters as a role anyone with a cleft jaw can fill; they want you to think of the characters as real people, and they use the real actors to help achieve that.

Which means that if the company wants to keep profiting off that "Cap" name and logo, a new character has to step into the role. And only two people deserve to carry Steve's legacy, and as much as I love Bucky, Sam's the clear choice.

Regarding that idiot video everyone is talking about...

The guy does, sort of, have a point. Like, we have the Next Batman who's black. That book will sell because it's the Bat, but it's not building up Jace's franchise, it's building up Batman's, and Batman will always, ultimately, be a white dude named Bruce. Meanwhile, where's the Black Lightning, Vixen, or Cyborg solo ongoings? Sam being Cap builds up a franchise that, end of the day, is about Steve, while Sam's Falcon moniker is left to languish. So sure, the dude *sort of* has a point.

But that's only *sometimes.* And mostly only applies to comics (movies, like I said, are different). How about Miles Morales? Jessica Cruz? Michael Holt? The problem here isn't that the guy is saying the Sam-Cap situation "can" be a negative, it's that he's saying it's *always* a negative, and we damn well know better, because we've seen situations like this be successful and expand representation. You can't paint every narrative about legacy with the same brush.

And of course, the lack of any positive videos is a pretty huge hint. If you got nothing nice to say, ever, then your complaints are just sound and fury, without substance. And I think a lot of people are using these kinds of arguments, ones that sound rational and reasonable on the surface, to push a hateful and regressive agenda. Look at what this dude is apparently doing (I won't look at his videos and give him the click); bitching about PoC taking up legacies, getting the spotlight, whatever, because it's pandering (or whatever he's saying) but he's silent about any success PoC get. So if he gets his way, what are we left with? It won't be a world where PoC are properly represented on the comic shelf, will it?
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-27-2021 at 02:03 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The guy does, sort of, have a point. Like, we have the Next Batman who's black. That book will sell because it's the Bat, but it's not building up Jace's franchise, it's building up Batman's, and Batman will always, ultimately, be a white dude named Bruce. Meanwhile, where's the Black Lightning, Vixen, or Cyborg solo ongoings? Sam being Cap builds up a franchise that, end of the day, is about Steve, while Sam's Falcon moniker is left to languish. So sure, the dude *sort of* has a point.

But that's only *sometimes.* And mostly only applies to comics (movies, like I said, are different). How about Miles Morales? Jessica Cruz? Michael Holt? The problem here isn't that the guy is saying the Sam-Cap situation "can" be a negative, it's that he's saying it's *always* a negative, and we damn well know better, because we've seen situations like this be successful and expand representation. You can't paint every narrative about legacy with the same brush.

And of course, the lack of any positive videos is a pretty huge hint. If you got nothing nice to say, ever, then your complaints are just sound and fury, without substance. And I think a lot of people are using these kinds of arguments, ones that sound rational and reasonable on the surface, to push a hateful and regressive agenda. Look at what this dude is apparently doing (I won't look at his videos and give him the click); bitching about PoC taking up legacies, getting the spotlight, whatever, because it's pandering (or whatever he's saying) but he's silent about any success PoC get. So if he gets his way, what are we left with? It won't be a world where PoC are properly represented on the comic shelf, will it?
    Even then he doesn't really. Cause these same people who will complain are not picking up Black Lighting, Outsiders, Vixen or Luke Cage when they get printed. Batman is an icon who we know will always go back to Bruce, so what's wrong with telling a story with someone new with a different background that can bring a different perspective? This is a common trope of superhero comics, everyone knows it's not going to last but all this outrage and energy cause its a PoC getting some attention? Please. Its not a zero sum game, we can build new franchises but we can also simultaneously have some fun with seeing some new characters in different mantles.