• One of the Most Perfect Frame-Ups - Detective Comics #58
    • Snow and Ice - Detective Comics #610-611
    • Night of the Penguin - Detective Comics #824
    • The Return of the Penguin - Batman #155
    • Pieces of Penguin! - Batman #374
    • The Penguin Returns - Batman #548-549
    • Batman: Penguin Triumphant #1
    • Joker's Asylum: Penguin #1

I often wonder if the Iceberg Lounge hurt the character rather than helped him, as he pretty much became a simple informant rather than a brilliant yet eccentric criminal.
    It most certainly hurt the guy.

He went from being a criminal with gimick trick umbrellas to just being a guy that Batman would come and beat up anytime he wanted info.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

I feel that Iceberg Lounge didn't hurt the character, but it didn't used as creatively as it should.

My ideal Penguin is a guy who was a sane, yet eccentric villain and realised that playing that game of cat and mouse with Batman isn't as fun anymore and it starts to became dangerous. So, he decided to play the clever game and play the reformed criminal act, while he had criminal ties to earn a piece of the pie from Gotham's Underworld.

While that ideal view was used in 90s, DC never decided if they want Penguin as a sane,yet eccentric, gangster and informer or a sadistic crime boss with shades of insanity.

For me, while i liked the sadistic criminal that he was in Arkham games,i feel that using that route in main continuity, won't add much. Batman has lot of insane criminals, he doens't need another one. So, Penguin need to be someone who has the reputation from his past criminal act and had good relationship with Batman rogues, yet he is cunning and clever enough, to be one of the top dogs of regular, organised crime folks. Write him more as a colorful Carlo Gambino and less as another sadistic villain.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

I like the concept of 'Arkham Knights'; some Bat villains reformed and formed their own 'Suicide Squad'.

Get rid of Astrid Arkham and have Penguin mastermind that team and we've got a deal.

Retired

I like best the old version of Penguin, when he quoted Keats and Shakespeare and was just a clever hood trying to make his big score. One of my all-time favourite stories is from the Batman Sundays--strips 119 - 123 (2/10 - 3/10/1946)--by Alvin Schwartz, Jack Burnley and Charles Paris--where his Aunt Miranda comes to Gotham City and Oswald gets Batman and Robin to help him impress her, because he told her he was a big success as an umbrella salesman.

I imagine him as a British expatriate, perhaps with a similar background to Alfred Hitchcock.

I don't like all the attempts to turn him into a freak or metahuman. It seems like every Bat-villain has to be weird and have strange abilities--they can't just be regular human beings and they must have a bizarre appearance. As if a villain can't be interesting enough based on personality alone.

Extraordinary Member

The advantages of Penguin without the Iceberg Lounge:
    * More likely to act as a greater outright antagonist.
    * Less likely to be pressured by Batman and fail to look like he has a spine in those moments

The advantages of Penguin with Iceberg Lounge:
    * More likely to make more appearances overall, as a fixture of the setting.
    * Less likely to be decisively defeated as often as other less physically capable villain.

Ideally, I think he’d work best with the Iceberg Lounge as his “day job” while he actually operates as a genuinely dangerous mob boss Batman has trouble pinning down directly and sending to jail. Gotham as a setting benefits from more stubborn and active organized crime elements, and the “untouchable” mob boss works for other super villains without any issue. Penguin’s only real handicap is that he doesn’t immediately stand out as a threat in his own right without major revisions; he’s a mastermind villain, not a pseudo-terrorist with special weapons or powers, and there’s plenty of competition for regular masterminds, while stability could make him more tenacious and dangerous.

The trick is figuring out how to exploit him properly in each appearance. While Batman squeezing him for information has been useful in the last, it might work better if Oswald actually ends up being someone tough enough to avoid spilling the beans at all unless it suits him, creating a greater tension when he does cooperate, as it’s likely to his own personal benefit.

Here’s a proposal entirely removed from all that, though:

- What if Penguin’s disfigurements were the result of a lifetimes worth of beatings and injuries from a reckless youth?
    Last edited by godisawesome; 02-14-2021 at 10:34 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    * Less likely to be pressured by Batman and fail to look like he has a spine in those moments

* Less likely to be decisively defeated as often as other less physically capable villain.

Ideally, I think he’d work best with the Iceberg Lounge as his “day job” while he actually operates as a genuinely dangerous mob boss Batman has trouble pinning down directly and sending to jail. Gotham as a setting benefits from more stubborn and active organized crime elements, and the “untouchable” mob boss works for other super villains without any issue. Penguin’s only real handicap is that he doesn’t immediately stand out as a threat in his own right without major revisions; he’s a mastermind villain, not a pseudo-terrorist with special weapons or powers, and there’s plenty of competition for regular masterminds, while stability could make him more tenacious and dangerous.

The trick is figuring out how to exploit him properly in each appearance. While Batman squeezing him for information has been useful in the last, it might work better if Oswald actually ends up being someone tough enough to avoid spilling the beans at all unless it suits him, creating a greater tension when he does cooperate, as it’s likely to his own personal benefit.

- What if Penguin’s disfigurements were the result of a lifetimes worth of beatings and injuries from a reckless youth?
    Or from ba tman continuously beating him up for information. That would be cool. I thought that was what you were going to say.
    Last edited by Bad Witch; 04-25-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

Sounds great to me.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

The Brave and The Bold #166 was the first PENGUIN story I eve read.
    Always love a cover with a character looming large.

B&B166.jpg

Maybe he should run for Mayor of Gotham City again?

from Catwoman Election Night #1 (January 2017)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

They just elected a new one.

I don't mind the Iceberg gig but they need to show him more planning than reacting. A lot of time he's reacting. To Mr. Freeze wanting his guns, Falcone returning, Emperor Penguin uprising, his son uprising, Joker coming, Bane taking over, and so on

Although on the other hand once you've decided to use a legit business as a front, he won't be reckless and that's why he's able to stay on top for a very long time. Once he becomes a story, like The Court of Owls, Batman will be on him.

So maybe not an extreme plan, but something that shows that he is responsible for a lot of random crimes in every issue or every arc. Like he said in Joker War, supposedly every criminal in Gotham reports to him. That he is the top crime boss of Gotham City.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-08-2021 at 11:38 PM.

^^ I was going to make a 'Make Gotham Great Again' joke but whoever wrote that comic thought he or she was being too subtle in their writing.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Despite being just the worst Penguin as Mayor is a recurring thing since at least Batman'66 and Batman Returns.

The DCAU tie in comic kind of made it work. If only they got a chance to wrap up their storylines.